Suggestion for new command "Pace"

Started by Evilone, December 29, 2012, 06:57:36 AM

Quote from: Rhyden on January 01, 2013, 06:55:20 PM
True guess we were just offering more ideas to help slow down too-fast riders. I'm way too lazy to start another thread.
That's the thing. They're not too fast. They're going as fast as inixes go. If that was "too" fast, then the staff wouldn't make them go, whatever speed they go. They'd make them go slower. There's really no problem, presently, with the speed of mounts. It's not something that needs to be fixed.

What could be improved, however, is the ability to have a group travel AS a group. And - a group can only go as fast as its slowest member (otherwise, they're no longer a group).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 01, 2013, 09:56:53 PM
What could be improved, however, is the ability to have a group travel AS a group. And - a group can only go as fast as its slowest member (otherwise, they're no longer a group).

+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on January 01, 2013, 09:57:41 PM

+1
+2

As to this:

Quote from: bcw81 on January 01, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Srsly. Playability is not a one way street. Just because you think it's playability reasons you should be able to carry ten dead gurth on your back, doesn't mean that you should for playability reasons. What about all the other hunters now unable to hunt carru because you killed them all, let alone sell the items from the ONE gurth they killed because you flooded the market with your playability.

If you see someone running around with ten dead gurth packed onto their mount as well as ALL THE CARRU then file a player complaint. I'm sorry, but odds are there isn't one twinky hunter out ruining your fun thus requiring a code change that makes things a little more of a pain in the ass for everyone else.

More likely ... what's happening is there are 5-6 well played hunters out killing 1-3 animals each through the course of their hunting trip, and then you showed up and didn't see any critters left over. Same with the market complaint.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Dalmeth on December 31, 2012, 10:48:41 PM
We could always make the system even MORE complicated.

You know, change speed based on load, health, and mood.

Then you'd have to walk at an arbitrarily low speed just to get anywhere.

Welcome to real life, folks.  It's hard.

I would use it a ton, especially when playing an unclanned or tribal. Where all of your friends will have different mounts. And i don't spam walk when outside the gates, EVER. Not once in the years I have played. And i stop and emote as well. And I still lose Inix's and sunlon's and sunbacks when on a beetle, and so on.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Rhyden on January 01, 2013, 06:55:20 PM
True guess we were just offering more ideas to help slow down too-fast riders. I'm way too lazy to start another thread.

Regardless of the idea I've offered, this I agree with. Such a command would be neat.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Here's where I wish I was a coder, because I would solve this using 2 steps.

First, add a "mercy pace" flag with on/off toggle just like all the other mercy flags.

Second, change the movement code so that if the pace flag is on, your character's movement delay is set to that of the slowest person following your PC, be they mounted or afoot.

Overall, this would probably solve the problem rather simply and require minimal setup for parties and their leader.

I dig that idea more than the OP's.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Sephiroto on January 06, 2013, 09:31:08 PM
Here's where I wish I was a coder, because I would solve this using 2 steps.

First, add a "mercy pace" flag with on/off toggle just like all the other mercy flags.

Second, change the movement code so that if the pace flag is on, your character's movement delay is set to that of the slowest person following your PC, be they mounted or afoot.

Overall, this would probably solve the problem rather simply and require minimal setup for parties and their leader.

I'd rather have to set my pace to a specific target, rather than "whichever follower is slowest." Because if there's someone shadowing the group, and I don't know about it..the code is either going to come up with an error, or it's going to pace me to the person I don't know is there (but is there). And conversely - if there's someone shadowing the group, and I -do- know about it, and I don't want anyone _else_ to know about it..I'd like to be able to pace myself to that hidden person, on purpose, and not bypass him just because he's hidden to everyone else in the group. Or maybe I want him to feel free to lag behind if he wants - there's all kinds of situations I can come up with, that would make me want to pace someone -specific- and not just "whoever is slowest."

Quote from: Lizzie on January 06, 2013, 09:56:04 PM
I'd rather have to set my pace to a specific target, rather than "whichever follower is slowest." Because if there's someone shadowing the group, and I don't know about it..the code is either going to come up with an error, or it's going to pace me to the person I don't know is there (but is there).

If the mercy pace flag would set your movement delay to that of the slowest person following you that you can see, then hidden people following you about wouldn't be a problem.  And, if there were sneakies following you around and you wanted them to keep up then you could probably just slow things down a touch with some good, old-fashioned roleplay instead of worrying about an ooc-tool designed to help out with spam group movement.

I... really, really like Sephiroto's idea.  ;D
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

The idea is neat and it is potential area for improvement.  Using mercy to implement it (if at all) is not the best approach.  Mercy is for the combat code.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Nosave speed or some-such then?
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Ah yeah, nosave is a better parent command.  It's been so long since I've played that I had completely forgotten that the command even existed!

Just stop walking so fast.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Love the idea and add my support.

Not only due to the out pacing aspect, but the lag that can build up on the followers. Even if you spam four rooms then emote, the lag build up on the others creates a dangerous situation for them.

nosave follow
You maintain your current pace, regardless of anyone following you.

nosave follow
You will now slow down to keep pace with your followers, unless they are sneaking.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 06, 2013, 03:49:54 PM
nosave follow
You maintain your current pace, regardless of anyone following you.

nosave follow
You will now slow down to keep pace with your followers, unless they are sneaking.

+1
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I support this idea fully.  Anyone claiming 'omg stop spamwalking' or anything else misses several points.  All examples are random.

1. Being chased by NPC animals, where staying in a group is safer, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to w,w,w,w,w,w away from a kryl if you're trying not to fight it, but also move as a cohesive unit, especially in a military outfit like the Legion.  If everyone is spamfleeing, sure, they'll get broken up, by an organized fallback should be able to remain fairly organized.  Spamwalking away from NPCs has been supported as ok, and even the proper thing to do by staff in the past (I believe it was Nyr, but I'm too lazy to find the actual posts.)

2. RL time constraints sometimes make it so that trips out into the wilderness need to end quickly.  A simple - 'ooc Hey sarge, I just realized how late it was can we go back soon?' could be followed by the pace command to get people back without Amos' mount slowing despite the fact that they're all trying to stay in a group to get back, requiring people to backtrack and waste time/movement points/etc.  OOC concerns trump IC ones in every case, and getting back home due to a lack of wilderness quit as quickly as possible is sometimes good when things run long (as they often do.)

3. As stated before, in an organized unit, you usually put a fast, capable rider in the back to keep people from falling behind.  This is not possible with the current code, but becomes possible with a nosave toggle like this.  Hell, make the nosave toggle open up off of the ride skill, to make sure that only capable people are able to keep a group cohesive and together when riding quickly.  That way it makes sense IC, allows for OOC functionality, and ends up adding to the game, rather than being pithily dismissed by the lazy, no-innovation crew on the GDB.

I didn't miss any of those points.  The act of pacing yourself and making sure everyone is keeping up IS how you organize your unit, whether falling back from a threat or just trying to make good time.  Everything you mention is currently possible with the code.  You all are just asking for the game to further automate your leadership responsabilities.

I'm not lazy (not sure how I could be considered lazy since it wouldn't be my effort put into code changes...) nor against innovation.  It's simply that this never struck me as a problem before.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but you don't need to be insulting just because some of us dared to say as much.

I apologize that you feel insulted.  However you've consistently failed to address any of the points brought up in a meaningful way, which makes it appear as if you're against change simply to be against change.

Firstly, I don't see how I could have "consistently" failed to address your points seeing as I've only posted twice in this thread, and only once since your post... 3 posts ago.

Secondly, just because you dislike or disagree with what I said, or that I didn't use as many words as you did, doesn't mean I failed to address your arguments.

Maybe I am just old and stubborn, but has the practice of spamwalking become so accepted that we should facilitate it with new code?  I recall when it was practically a regular part of the hate cycle, especially in outdoor situations (though in that domain it was considered more unwise than simply unrealistic).

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 11, 2013, 05:30:58 PM
Firstly, I don't see how I could have "consistently" failed to address your points seeing as I've only posted twice in this thread, and only once since your post... 3 posts ago.

Secondly, just because you dislike or disagree with what I said, or that I didn't use as many words as you did, doesn't mean I failed to address your arguments.

Maybe I am just old and stubborn, but has the practice of spamwalking become so accepted that we should facilitate it with new code?  I recall when it was practically a regular part of the hate cycle, especially in outdoor situations (though in that domain it was considered more unwise than simply unrealistic).

I don't spam-walk. And I still have the problem, and I still think that a subroutine to accommodate for it would be great. I not only don't spam-walk, but I type out the directions. North, south, east, west, up, down. I also look north, look south, look east, look west, all typed out by hand, and I pay attention to the feedback before moving to the next room. And I _still_ encounter situations where the people following me lag behind. Maybe it's because I type faster than the code. I dunno, and I don't care. All I know is, it'd be really helpful to be able to move only as fast as whoever I target in my group.

Stop buying your lackeys sunbacks. :P Or make the slowest person the leader.

It's a good idea, it just won't be implemented, so here's some other solutions.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 11, 2013, 07:44:38 PM
I don't spam-walk. And I still have the problem, and I still think that a subroutine to accommodate for it would be great. I not only don't spam-walk, but I type out the directions. North, south, east, west, up, down. I also look north, look south, look east, look west, all typed out by hand

Wait.. What? Do you mean that you always type out "north", like, "north", "north", "north", to go north, and not just n, or even better, hit the up arrow on your keyboard...?  :o
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."