Suggestion for new command "Pace"

Started by Evilone, December 29, 2012, 06:57:36 AM

It would be great when riding a faster mount than those following you, to then be able to just type 'pace sunlon' when riding an inix for example, then your inix will keep speed with the sunlon and won't pull ahead.

This can be done by slowing movement commands and not spamming, but even then it can be frustrating as hell. Just an idea.
Death is only the beginning...

Quote from: Evilone on December 29, 2012, 06:57:36 AM
It would be great when riding a faster mount than those following you, to then be able to just type 'pace sunlon' when riding an inix for example, then your inix will keep speed with the sunlon and won't pull ahead.

This can be done by slowing movement commands and not spamming, but even then it can be frustrating as hell. Just an idea.

I really love this idea. Usually when I'm leading a group with slower mounts than mine, I'll go my usual pace, but I'll stop every 4-8 rooms and toss out an emote or have my character say something. This *usually* gives everyone's mounts a chance to catch up with the movement code. But not always.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Or just stop spam walking Sarge.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Or use the sneak command...

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on December 29, 2012, 01:46:52 PM

Sneak is still affected by movement speed.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 29, 2012, 05:05:26 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on December 29, 2012, 01:46:52 PM

Sneak is still affected by movement speed.

More specifically, everyone else sneaks too.  So there is no net change in relative speed.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

While not "the solution you were looking for", dropping some descriptive emotes relevant to the trip might at least help alleviate some of the frustration and also make the trip more enjoyable for others involved.

Going slow is more fun anyway.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I can see that (just go slower) not being an option when you're say, being chased by a pack of aggro mobs and you'd like for your unit to stay together and protect the slowest ridder rather than leave them in the dust though.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on December 31, 2012, 08:29:41 PM
I can see that (just go slower) not being an option when you're say, being chased by a pack of aggro mobs and you'd like for your unit to stay together and protect the slowest ridder rather than leave them in the dust though.

Make sure everyone has the same type of mount.

Edit: I guess I see the small case where this would be beneficial actually. Don't think it would really ever be used.

We could always make the system even MORE complicated.

You know, change speed based on load, health, and mood.

Then you'd have to walk at an arbitrarily low speed just to get anywhere.

Welcome to real life, folks.  It's hard.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Dalmeth on December 31, 2012, 10:48:41 PM
We could always make the system even MORE complicated.

You know, change speed based on load, health, and mood.

Then you'd have to walk at an arbitrarily low speed just to get anywhere.

Welcome to real life, folks.  It's hard.
I would love speed to be dramatically effected by weight. Any inix carrying 4 large bags full of various animal parts should be slow.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

I would like for playability to trump realism, please.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 01, 2013, 08:58:17 AM
I would like for playability to trump realism, please.

Exactly.  If I wanted to play real life I would go outside.
You notice: A war beetle squeezes out an Orin-sized ball of dung.

How exactly would weight affecting the ease of riding the game make things less playable?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on January 01, 2013, 03:33:45 PM
How exactly would weight affecting the ease of riding the game make things less playable?
Srsly. Playability is not a one way street. Just because you think it's playability reasons you should be able to carry ten dead gurth on your back, doesn't mean that you should for playability reasons. What about all the other hunters now unable to hunt carru because you killed them all, let alone sell the items from the ONE gurth they killed because you flooded the market with your playability.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Except none of that has anything to do with the suggestion of a new "pace" command.

As for making animals slower just because they're weighed down, I'm thinking no. That wouldn't be an improvement and would be a detriment. Reason being - not all animals are fast. And not everyone can afford the faster mounts. You'd be slowing down an already slow mount. At that point, it'd be faster to walk from point A to point B, and carry a tent to rest in. Which - if you can afford a tent, you can afford a faster mount.

The point of the "pace" suggestion is to intentionally, temporarily slow down the -lead- animal, WHEN that animal is faster than one of the -follower- animals. As it's already been mentioned, even when you include emotes in your travelling, it isn't always going to work, because sometimes the slowest animal in the group is still too slow to catch up with the faster animal's movement code. And sometimes, it is just too plain risky for the lead rider to stop and come up with something to type, then type it, at regular intervals. Sometimes it's less risky, to simply "pace" your steps, just slightly slower than normal.

Quote from: bcw81 on January 01, 2013, 04:46:45 PM
Srsly. Playability is not a one way street. Just because you think it's playability reasons you should be able to carry ten dead gurth on your back, doesn't mean that you should for playability reasons. What about all the other hunters now unable to hunt carru because you killed them all, let alone sell the items from the ONE gurth they killed because you flooded the market with your playability.

You're not answering my question. Not in the slightest.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 01, 2013, 05:14:42 PM
Except none of that has anything to do with the suggestion of a new "pace" command.

As for making animals slower just because they're weighed down, I'm thinking no. That wouldn't be an improvement and would be a detriment. Reason being - not all animals are fast. And not everyone can afford the faster mounts. You'd be slowing down an already slow mount. At that point, it'd be faster to walk from point A to point B, and carry a tent to rest in. Which - if you can afford a tent, you can afford a faster mount.

Slow mounts could be affected less by weight. I think an erdlu would be a lot more bothered by a barrel of water on its back than an inix would be.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Correct, but it's still brainstorming an idea for a solution to a hypothetical coded problem. Isn't that what this part of the GDB is for?

I like Patuk's idea. Weight probably should affect how quickly your mount can move, not only how far. The slower mounts in game aren't really meant for carrying a lot anyways.

Currently, I can ride from one side of the world to the other in less than half 1 in game day, with or without 3 trunks packed to my mount of choice.

The only playability problem I foresee with this change is you wouldn't be able to travel across the world as quickly. And so what? It should take a pretty long time for me to ride across many miles, nay leagues. Especially so if I've got 3 trunks filled with logs packed to my inix and I'm a massive half-giant. Slowing down weighted mounts would make travel slightly more dangerous, and also help those poor d-elves and raiders who have to watch spam-riders travel by in the blink of an eye.

Quote from: Rhyden on January 01, 2013, 06:18:00 PM

Correct, but it's still brainstorming an idea for a solution to a hypothetical coded problem. Isn't that what this part of the GDB is for?

I like Patuk's idea. Weight probably should affect how quickly your mount can move, not only how far. The slower mounts in game aren't really meant for carrying a lot anyways.

Currently, I can ride from one side of the world to the other in less than half 1 in game day, with or without 3 trunks packed to my mount of choice.

The only playability problem I foresee with this change is you wouldn't be able to travel across the world as quickly. And so what? It should take a pretty long time for me to ride across many miles, nay leagues. Especially so if I've got 3 trunks filled with logs packed to my inix and I'm a massive half-giant. Slowing down weighted mounts would make travel slightly more dangerous, and also help those poor d-elves and raiders who have to watch spam-riders travel by in the blink of an eye.

Except this has nothing to do with the hypothetical problem that prompted this thread to be created in the first place.

The problem:

A group of people riding mounts. The leader has a mount that has a natural speed faster than at least one (or more) of the followers in the group. As a result of the player of the leader being unable to manually pace himself such that the slowest coded mount is able to keep up...

The proposed solution:

provide a coded "pace" command that allows the leader to intentionally slow his own mount down to the natural coded pace of whichever mount he targets.

How does your idea address this problem, and/or counter the proposed solution?

True guess we were just offering more ideas to help slow down too-fast riders. I'm way too lazy to start another thread.

Quote from: Patuk on January 01, 2013, 05:54:04 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on January 01, 2013, 04:46:45 PM

You're not answering my question. Not in the slightest.
;) It's because I was agreeing with you.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"