Knowing You've Hemoted

Started by Suhuy, December 19, 2012, 03:48:30 AM

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but...

Thoughts on the following.

Right now when you hemote or phemote, etc, you are prompted with your emote in original form. There's nothing to tell you that you've hemoted. Sometimes I think to myself 'Oh damn, wait, did I just type that as an emote or an hemote?' And if you want to save your logs it can be difficult to differentiate emotes from hemotes in the text.

The people who manage to see your hemote know that it's an hemote - but as it is right now the code doesn't tell you that you've hemoted. It doesn't matter what the prompt says specifically, just something indicating that you have indeed hemoted rather than emoted. Something along the lines of:

>hemote sticks ^me tongue out at ~bepimpled while ^bepimpled back is turned
Quietly: You stick your tongue out at the bepimpled Starbucks barista when his back is turned.

Your logs should include your commands.

If they don't, there's probably a client option you've overlooked.

Your commands should echo to the client's window, too...
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

My logs do include my command, but I also would prefer a suggestion like this (perhaps subtly instead of quietly?) because when logs are cleaned up for submitting to the Website, the command line is deleted from them, and what remains looks just like a normal emote.

I've started adding (hemote) manually to those emotes if I clean the log up, but it's a bit annoying to do so.

It'd be awesome if it just echo'd the same to you as it does to the viewer on the other side:

You notice: The short, full-figured brunette appears to like this idea.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

With respect, I obviously know how to be able to see what I've just typed or what I previously typed in a log, hemotes included. I'm talking about having hemote indicated in the command for the sake of convenience and clarity, not because I don't know how to figure out if I've just done it or not :)

I understood what you meant. :) I like the idea, I think it should be implemented in the way I suggested above, if it's implemented. Hope it goes in though. That'd be an interesting change and maybe I'd even start logging if they did it. :)
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Sorry, shoulda quoted. I actually had meant that for Riya OniSenshi. But anyway, yeah, would help visually with the text and all :)

Would also be nice if we got prompted what we typed in movement commands, but I know that one's been suggested in the past.

Quote from: Suhuy on December 19, 2012, 03:48:30 AM
>hemote sticks ^me tongue out at ~bepimpled while ^bepimpled back is turned
Quietly: You stick your tongue out at the bepimpled Starbucks barista when his back is turned.

I think the problem with quietly for a hemote is that there's also semote, which is a silent emote.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 19, 2012, 07:39:58 AM
It'd be awesome if it just echo'd the same to you as it does to the viewer on the other side:

You notice: The short, full-figured brunette appears to like this idea.

I think that would work okay, but noticing myself is a bit weird. Maybe something like "Subtly"?

Subtly: You glance suspiciously at the tall, lithe, sharp-eared elf.

It would still show as "You notice" for everyone else, but then you wouldn't be noticing yourself.

I'd personally find this a nice addition, because although you can set your client to reflect commands in most cases, it would also be nice to just have it be there in the log, without logging your commands.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

I'm certain I could accomplish this client-side with an alias and a little script. Do you use Mushclient, Suhuy?

I would like to see this implemented in some form. Did someone idea it?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I don't really like this idea, as I think it'd jar with some hemotes thrown out there.

Subtly: You clear your throat quietly.
Subtly: You sigh softly, covering a subtle smile.
Quietly: You clear your throat quietly.
Quietly: You look at the ragged elf in alarm.
Subtly: You laugh privately to yourself.

vs.

Quietly: You laugh at the ragged elf.
You notice: The tall man laughs at you.
(wouldn't work unless you forcibly added 'quietly' to the end of every hemote that displayed to other people, thus...)
You notice: The tall man laughs at you, quietly.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

Quote from: Morrolan on December 19, 2012, 09:31:16 PM
I would like to see this implemented in some form. Did someone idea it?

I sure did.

Quote from: Wolfsong on December 19, 2012, 09:44:03 PM
I don't really like this idea, as I think it'd jar with some hemotes thrown out there.

Subtly: You clear your throat quietly.
Subtly: You sigh softly, covering a subtle smile.
Quietly: You clear your throat quietly.
Quietly: You look at the ragged elf in alarm.
Subtly: You laugh privately to yourself.

vs.

Quietly: You laugh at the ragged elf.
You notice: The tall man laughs at you.
(wouldn't work unless you forcibly added 'quietly' to the end of every hemote that displayed to other people, thus...)
You notice: The tall man laughs at you, quietly.

What about... "In a small motion:"?

In a small motion: You clear your throat quietly.
In a small motion: You sigh softly, covering a subtle smile.
In a small motion: You clear your throat quietly.
In a small motion: You look at the ragged elf in alarm.
In a small motion: You laugh privately to yourself.

The only drawback with that is that with things like the "you laugh privately to yourself" it's a small motion. Arguably, in any case, even without a hemote tag (IE with the current way it is now), you'd want to add some sort of qualifier. For example, why is that a laugh that everyone can't hear? It could be a snicker, or quiet, but a normal laugh would be heard by most people.

how about completely OOC tags, like this:

[hemote]
[semote]
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on December 20, 2012, 08:09:09 AM

[hemote]
[semote]

That's exactly what I add manually when removing the command line from logs to pretty them up. Sounds kewl.

[hemote]
[semote]

That would work well, I think.

Along the line of Morgenes' idea - and keeping in the "theme" of OOC hints in-game...

(A faint reddish hue tints your cheeks for a moment.)

Which would be similar to, but have a distinctive difference from:

*A small shadow is here.*

So - hemotes and semotes would both be surrounded by parenthasis, in the same way that "normally not seeable without some kind of effort" are surrounded by asterisks.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

[hemote]
[semote]

I like that for the sender. I still like You notice: for the viewer.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 20, 2012, 11:04:54 AM
Along the line of Morgenes' idea - and keeping in the "theme" of OOC hints in-game...

(A faint reddish hue tints your cheeks for a moment.)

Which would be similar to, but have a distinctive difference from:

*A small shadow is here.*

So - hemotes and semotes would both be surrounded by parenthasis, in the same way that "normally not seeable without some kind of effort" are surrounded by asterisks.

Very nice.

Hrmmmm...the parenthesis are subtle.  Should we do ** for semote and () for hemote?  Is that going to be too confusing?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on December 20, 2012, 12:58:24 PM
Hrmmmm...the parenthesis are subtle.  Should we do ** for semote and () for hemote?  Is that going to be too confusing?
^Like
We'll get used to it.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I wouldn't want to see '(' or '*' for the viewer...because it would actually draw -more- attention to something that was intended to be subtle or quiet!

Interesting idea for the player executing the act though...Not that I've ever been bothered by not 'knowing' looking back if something was a hemote or an semote...because I can generally tell from reading the emote...if it was something that would have been mostly hidden from others...it's a he mote, if it's silent and not super obvious it's an semote.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: ShaLeah on December 20, 2012, 01:00:40 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on December 20, 2012, 12:58:24 PM
^Like
We'll get used to it.

I think that would work well.

Quote from: Maso on December 20, 2012, 04:58:38 PM
I wouldn't want to see '(' or '*' for the viewer...because it would actually draw -more- attention to something that was intended to be subtle or quiet!

Interesting idea for the player executing the act though...Not that I've ever been bothered by not 'knowing' looking back if something was a hemote or an semote...because I can generally tell from reading the emote...if it was something that would have been mostly hidden from others...it's a he mote, if it's silent and not super obvious it's an semote.

As I understand it, it wouldn't change anything for the viewer. So it would be:

Quote from: ViewerYou notice: The tall, muscular man's lips twist into a slight smirk.

The tall, muscular man gives you a quick wink.

We're assuming that crossing his eyes is a semote, and that you can see him to see the semote.

Quote from: You
(Your lips twist into a slight smirk)

*You give the short, skinny man a quick wink.*

We could also have just ONE star be for the semote, IE:

Quote from: you*You give the short, skinny man a quick wink.

I like the parentheses for the hemoter and the viewer still receiving the 'You notice:'
And for semotes, hmm. I like the proposal Taven made of a * at the beginning but not at the end.

Leaving the star at the beginning would make it show up uniquely, but bracketing it in stars would make me think of the using them in psis.

Either way, the possibility of the change sounds like it would be teh cool.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 20, 2012, 09:33:11 PM
I like the parentheses for the hemoter and the viewer still receiving the 'You notice:'

I like this. As for semote, I probably do not use it as often as I should.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Morrolan on December 21, 2012, 04:38:25 AM
Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on December 20, 2012, 09:33:11 PM

I like this. As for semote, I probably do not use it as often as I should.

Always assume there is an unconscious but invisible magicker in the room.

This is in.  If you hemote it will be surrounded in ().  If you silent emote it'll be prepended with *.  If you hate it, type 'brief emote' and ignore this.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 04, 2013, 02:24:08 PM
This is in.  If you hemote it will be surrounded in ().  If you silent emote it'll be prepended with *.  If you hate it, type 'brief emote' and ignore this.

<3

This is great, thanks!

Thanks!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Oh my gosh.  Every time I think I might be getting too old to call myself a Morg. fan-girl, he goes and does something like this.  <3  Frickin' awesome-sauce.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote from: Suhuy on December 19, 2012, 03:48:30 AM
Sorry if this has already been brought up, but...

And great idea from the OP!  Way to go. =)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

I love it already. Great addition.

I thought I broke something until I came here and saw this! xD
Soooo cool!
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

I don't know if this is a bug, or if it's intended - so I'm not bugging it in game. Also, when I ask via "wish" if something is a bug or not, I usually get told not to do that. When I ask about things like this via the request tool, I'm told to bug it in game. Can't win for losing, so I figured I'll give it a shot here on the GDB instead:

Is the use of soap intended to be treated as an semote, with the * in front of the result? Or is it an unintentional result of the new change? Or is it something entirely else? Here's the edited log (edited so's ya don't know who I'm playing, doh)

You get your piece of [commonly sold/craftable] soap from your [container].
It is very light.

> * The Lizzie-Character scrubs at [an item of clothing she's wearing], cleaning it.

Note the asterisk. It wasn't there last week when I did the same thing with the same soap on the same article of clothing.

Makes sense to be a semote. If you're blind you don't know if someone's scrubbing their clothes. And similar situations...

Quote from: Lizzie on January 05, 2013, 05:37:22 PM
I don't know if this is a bug, or if it's intended - so I'm not bugging it in game. Also, when I ask via "wish" if something is a bug or not, I usually get told not to do that. When I ask about things like this via the request tool, I'm told to bug it in game.

Helpful tips for Lizzie:

Quote from: help wishDo not wish things  such as, 'Is anyone around?' or 'Is Kelvik on?' or 'Is my clan staff around?'
or 'I have a bug.' If you have a bug, then use the bug command to say what it
is, don't just wish that you have found a bug.

Quote from: help bugBug                                                                (Gameplay)

This command allows mortals to inform the implementors of a glitch in
the programming code. If you stumble across something that simply does not
seem right, and it is apparently the result of a flawed special program or
is a general part of the world itself, bug it.
  If the bug is regarding
something that is critical (e.g., you believe it is critically affecting
the game, your PC, or is causing a crash) please put in a Critical Game
Bug request in the Request tool to ensure that it is reviewed as soon as
possible.

So just skip your first step and let us be the ones to figure out if something is a bug or not. 

For what it's worth, you can test it yourself to determine whether it is a bug.

Type brief emote.
Do it again.
Did the same thing happen?  No?  Then it is an semote.  Cool, huh?
If the same thing happened again, there may be a bug.  Bug it.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Just to add, we have a nifty tool that lets us search through and resolve ideas/bugs/typos on the fly, so don't think your bugs and ideas are going nowhere. I check through it about once a week to see if I can get a chunk done that are at my level of kung fu to handle.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

It never would've occurred to me to use "brief" since I don't use it for anything else you can use it for either.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote from: Eurynomos on January 05, 2013, 08:20:29 PM
Just to add, we have a nifty tool that lets us search through and resolve ideas/bugs/typos on the fly, so don't think your bugs and ideas are going nowhere. I check through it about once a week to see if I can get a chunk done that are at my level of kung fu to handle.

This is excellent news, thanks Eurynomos! I use the idea/bug/typo tool a LOT, always wondered about that.

Quote from: Delirium on January 05, 2013, 06:54:32 PM
Makes sense to be a semote. If you're blind you don't know if someone's scrubbing their clothes. And similar situations...

I would think scrubbing clothes would be audible, but that's off topic.

Back on topic: This is totes awesomesauce!  :D
Fear is the mind-killer.

I agree. Great addition.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Still a morgenes fangirl. Rock on.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

(mutters incoherently)

I don't like it....

Half of this game is -not knowing what the hell is going on-
the other half is -deffinitly not knowing what the hell it going on-

Change it back! don't give in to the masses, since when did we ever know what we were talking about anyway?
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on January 06, 2013, 06:29:00 AM

(mutters incoherently)

I don't like it....

Change it back! don't give in to the masses, since when did we ever know what we were talking about anyway?

Sounds like you hate it.

If you hate it, type 'brief emote' and ignore this.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 05, 2013, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: Eurynomos on January 05, 2013, 08:20:29 PM

This is excellent news, thanks Eurynomos! I use the idea/bug/typo tool a LOT, always wondered about that.

You can see in each Weekly Update exactly how many ideas, bugs, and typos we review each week.  This doesn't count the ones we need to delete for whatever reason (for instance, I typically delete bug reports that aren't bugs and will e-mail the player to let them know appropriate syntax).

I approve this update!
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

I think you still won't know if you've hemoted successfully, the brackets are there for later when you're sorting out your logs and shit.

This is a great update, thank you TS and Morgenes. :)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: spicemustflow on January 06, 2013, 02:58:12 PM

I think you still won't know if you've hemoted successfully, the brackets are there for later when you're sorting out your logs and shit.

You can't 'fail' as hemoting.  Others can fail at seeing it, that is all.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 06, 2013, 03:08:34 PM
Quote from: spicemustflow on January 06, 2013, 02:58:12 PM

You can't 'fail' as hemoting.  Others can fail at seeing it, that is all.

Aha, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Code for hemote targets:

To include only the target
hemote< target
Exactly how whisper works except with hemote

to include all except the target
hemote> target
Kind of how whisper works except with hemote and change the variables in order to exclude one person.

regular hemote
hemote

I got lazy. But I mean... bam. That's it.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors