How does babby get ignoreded?

Started by Malken, December 10, 2012, 02:11:27 PM

December 10, 2012, 02:11:27 PM Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:05:18 AM by Malken
Drama leads to pregnancy, pregnancy leads to storage, storage leads to..

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

EDITED: I have (almost) nothing to do with this thread and totally didn't start it  :-X
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Why would pregnancy lead to storage?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on December 10, 2012, 02:18:01 PM

I had one commoner character who bred. (Well, regular commoner. I once had a Kadian who thought her contribution to the family should be to make as many political marriages and have as many little Kadians as possible. But she was Kadian. It wasn't like she actually had to raise them.) I stored. One of the last things she did was walk the infant down to the Sanctuary and stand outside looking in.

Because she had a baby with her. Because she didn't make enough sid for a nanny. Because you don't bring babies into bars.

Of course if one's character has one of those magic babies that tend themselves while they hunt spiders, or that they can bring to bars because their baby doesn't cry and annoy everyone, and of course is just so cute and unique that no one minds that they bring them everywhere like the non-shitting shoulder birds, it's less likely to end up in storage.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I've always seen pregnancy on this game as some last ditch effort to spruce up some excitement in the character's life. In my personal opinion and experience, it seems like people tend to become pregnant when they're running out of ideas to make their characters exciting again but it rarely works and often even backfires.

Not only are you cutting down on a lot of things your character could be doing instead of wobbling about and complaining of morning sickness, but you're also often dragging down someone with you along the path.

Of course, I'm probably wrong, but, yeah.

Quote from: Malken on December 10, 2012, 02:32:12 PM

I've always seen pregnancy on this game as some last ditch effort to spruce up some excitement in the character's life. In my personal opinion and experience, it seems like people tend to become pregnant when they're running out of ideas to make their characters exciting again but it rarely works and often even backfires.

Not only are you cutting down on a lot of things your character could be doing instead of wobbling about and complaining of morning sickness, but you're also often dragging down someone with you along the path.

I started a character pregnant once, everything she did revolved around that, it was actually really interesting. Otherwise I would probably use it as an excuse for absence (which it's great for). The only other time I had a pregnant character...I was taking a few months hiatus. But I reckon it can work and be really interesting, if they players really consider it properly.

Don't see a problem with babies in bars. See babies everywhere RL. Maybe not in bars at night, but in Zalanthas? Totally.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

You don't see a problem with babies in bars really? Or you're willing to overlook it for playability? Because I see a lot of problems with it.
Bar fights
Elves with knives
Drunken armed idiots
Annoyed nobles
Annoyed soldiers
People annoyed by the smell of baby shit
Noise
People annoyed by the brat who will not stop crying because it's so fucking loud and scary with all those drunk armed assholes screaming and brawling around it.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Yeah, but like...deal with IC?

I've seen tiny babies at festivals and stuff, so they can be perfectly fine in roudy situations...I suppose it depends on the baby...This is Zalanthas...we could be talking about a baby who's idea of 'play time' is sitting in a 'ninth alley playing with a broken, blood-stained dagger and a one-legged, one-eyed elf doll. It's just not the same. Bar could be safer than home.

I stored because of pregnancy. In game AND real life.

I'm not going to make the latter mistake again.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Barzalene on December 10, 2012, 02:57:50 PM
You don't see a problem with babies in bars really? Or you're willing to overlook it for playability? Because I see a lot of problems with it.
Bar fights
Elves with knives
Drunken armed idiots
Annoyed nobles
Annoyed soldiers
People annoyed by the smell of baby shit
Noise
People annoyed by the brat who will not stop crying because it's so fucking loud and scary with all those drunk armed assholes screaming and brawling around it.

In Japan people bring their babies into bars at night ... a lot. I was weirded out by it at first. Now it's normal.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

We did that with the first one. Strapped her in the Ergo Baby and took 'er everywhere, even LARPs. She just slept through everything. After about 6mos or so, they stop doing that, so we became more reclusive. And when another one rolls around, don't even think about it.
Fear is the mind-killer.

Quote from: Malken on December 10, 2012, 02:32:12 PM

Pregnancy (and child care) is more doable with some roles than others, imho. A valued house servant will have plenty of help with childcare whenever they are busy, and a safe place to keep the child. But a female Bynner? No way. Considering how much coded apartments get burglared, my PCs with half a brain would only want to have a child if they could keep them somewhere much more safe than a private apartment.

If a character of mine ever had a baby it would end up on the pile in Meleth's.

There aren't enough babies on that pile... honestly.

Sell it to Borsail.

This isn't 1800s America, quite a few slaves live better than most commoners.

Quote from: AreteX on December 11, 2012, 04:17:16 AM

I see no reason to toss out a baby you could sell, or eat. That's just a waste. ;)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I don't know. Just a difference of vision I guess. My feeling is, in a world where resources are scarce, and labor is more plentiful than jobs most people aren't important enough that they'd take on the trouble or expense of providing daycare. I think you'd be lucky not to be fired the second you start to show.

Now if one were to promise said child like some kind of indenture that might do it. But they'd probably have your brat washing dishes as soon as it could stand next to the sand barrel,

Quote from: Barzalene on December 11, 2012, 04:36:22 AM
I don't know. Just a difference of vision I guess. My feeling is, in a world where resources are scarce, and labor is more plentiful than jobs most people aren't important enough that they'd take on the trouble or expense of providing daycare. I think you'd be lucky not to be fired the second you start to show.

Now if one were to promise said child like some kind of indenture that might do it. But they'd probably have your brat washing dishes as soon as it could stand next to the sand barrel,

I'm all for sellin' dem babies.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

December 11, 2012, 05:05:22 AM #16 Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:13:01 AM by Harmless
This wasn't meant to be ported to this thread
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: boog on December 11, 2012, 04:50:15 AM

I'm all for sellin' dem babies.

Sure, sell that virtual baby to the virtual slavers get some virtual sid. Better than having to have that virtual baby, interact with it the first few weeks then give it to your virtual parents in their virtual house to virtually raise them because the sands are too rough to raise babies on. Then when people ask you how's the kid you can say it's great! Nothing bad ever happens to it because it's safe with my parents who have been in a monogamous, loving and loyal relationship for forty years! Did I tell you I'm pregnant again!? Amos and Waloola are exactly a year apart and this one will be too! My boss thinks it's GREAT because I make the best bone swords in the known.

I roll for pgs, then once I roll positive I roll gender and viability and whether it will come on time, early or late. I find babies in bars on Zalanthas weirder than I do babies in bars in real life because in real life everyone isn't armed, most people aren't mercenaries or cut throats or evil gemmers.

I'd fire an employee who got knocked up without having earned that whole loyalty thing. I may even kill them if I was in the position for wasting my time and sid with that procreate and continue your line tribal mindset. On the other hand, if it's a trusted employee, a lifer, I'd be hooting and hollering because the it'd seem more likely that that parent will raise them a die hard X House Fan. Kinda like a modern day Sports Fan, you raise them to be what you want them to be.

That said! I'd totally have boog's and Barz's babies in a NY minute.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I see nothing wrong with Zalanthans loving and caring for their children. I just don't think the rest of the world apart from your pc's immediate family will want to participate.

Quote from: Barzalene on December 11, 2012, 05:42:32 AM
I see nothing wrong with Zalanthans loving and caring for their children. I just don't think the rest of the world apart from your pc's immediate family will want to participate.

I'd often give Borsail a great deal if they'd take both the mother and the child away from my PC  :P

Quote from: Malken on December 11, 2012, 05:59:09 AM
Quote from: Barzalene on December 11, 2012, 05:42:32 AM

I'd often give Borsail a great deal if they'd take both the mother and the child away from my PC  :P

Less mudsexing = less unwanted virtual IG babies. Just saying. ;)

I dunno. Plenty of children still get born during wartime, my own dad being a WW2 child (that same winter being one of the coldest ever). It's kinda the same thing imo: food was scarce, it was difficult to come by, shit was dangerous, etc. etc.

I would think, for survival of the race, especially in dire times people would produce more offspring to guarantee its future. Look to India, or South America for instance? The kids help provide an income and help around the house with mom and grandparents.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: AreteX on December 11, 2012, 04:17:16 AM

As tough and bad-ass of a world as Zalanthas is, I think the instincts common among most living things regarding preservation and expansion of your own genetics would come very much into play. The poorer people of the world are, the more babies they tend to have. It would be very ooc to see babies on that pile, except, of course, if some templar was teaching a lesson.

I think either you didn't read my post, or I am not understanding yours.

In the last decade of prosperity in 20th Century America, a warm and fuzzy time and place very few companies provided child-care. Why would Borsail?

I'm not talking about Borsail but simply families who keep on breeding because of the reasons TheBadSeed explains.

Also, we're derailing this thread too much. Perhaps someone's interested to create a new one regarding this subject?
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness