Brewing Poisons

Started by Maker, November 25, 2012, 08:36:12 AM

I take it this is broken much like brewing alcohol is broken?  I only ask because, while I thought I could brew a poison (meaning, I know how to make a substance that acts like a certain poison), it is not apparently classified as a poison in the sense that the code does not recognize it as such when I try to poison something. 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Poisons are mostly FOIC sekrits. I would suggest submitting a question to the request tool if you're not sure that's possible.

Quote from: Maker on November 25, 2012, 08:36:12 AM
I take it this is broken much like brewing alcohol is broken?

Neither of these are true, actually.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Yeah, brewing alcohol was fixed a while back. I remember seeing an announcement about it on the GDB. Poisons, I've never worked much with, so I can't really know anything much about them, other than that when poisoned, you get poisoned. Not overly helpful.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I figured part of this out awhile back so I could spill the beans here, as Nyr said it's not broken.  But it's way more fun to find out IC.  Get a few people together, maybe someone knows or you'll have some people really willing to experiment with you.  Figure out poison X became a fun mini-plot in one of my clans.  What I will tell you is that (like in real life) not all poisons can just be slathered onto blades.  There are other ways of getting poison into someone's system.

No, it's not broken, but the helpfile is wrong. Also, it's not an IC issue. It's a syntax issue. Mostly because the "skill_brew" helpfile is wrong. "Brew" is not the correct syntax for brewing alcohol. If you want to know about brewing alcohol, check the *still* helpfile instead.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on November 25, 2012, 05:03:49 PM
No, it's not broken, but the helpfile is wrong. Also, it's not an IC issue. It's a syntax issue. Mostly because the "skill_brew" helpfile is wrong. "Brew" is not the correct syntax for brewing alcohol. If you want to know about brewing alcohol, check the *still* helpfile instead.

I recall changes being made to specific helpfiles that (after they were moved to the database) did not stick.  This may have been one of them.  Thank you for bringing it to our attention.  While the entirety of your post addresses almost nothing to do with the OP concern, if you'd like to help in determining what the helpfile should say, please put in a request and we'll be glad to look it over for suggestions.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.