New Skill Idea: Choke

Started by williamson, November 20, 2012, 01:02:52 PM

Skill: Choke

This skilled is used by those who have subdued their victims. A successful choke will place the subdued victim into a choking headlock. As the choke is maintained, the victim will eventually lose conciousness if the attacker has the stamina to maintain the hold. Once placed in the choke, the victim will lose stun points and the attacker maintaining the choke will lose stamina. If the victim loses all of her/his stun points, she/he falls unconcious. If the attacker loses all of her/his stamina, the attacker is forced to release the victim.

Example:

subdue templar
>You subdue the balding, obese templar.

choke templar
>You position yourself behind the balding, obese templar and place him in a headlock.

Failing the choke:
>You try to position yourself behind the balding, obese templar, but he escapes your grip.

After success each tick:

You tighten your grip on the balding, obese templar's neck as he gasps for air.

Tick:

You tighten your grip on the balding, obese templar's neck as the color of his face begins to turn a dark shade of blue.

Each tick would reduce the victim's stun and the choker's stamina until...

Final Tick:

You release the balding, obese templar as he collapses to the ground, unconcious. (or the choker no longer has the stamina to maintain the choke and must release them)

Once in the choke hold, victims could type flee and try to break free just like a subdue.

-Williamson
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

And what would a critical fail look like?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Perhaps have escape attempts be automatic if you don't have nosave on.

Critical fail may have victim injure assailant as they escape?

This sounds fun in general. I wouldn't mind seeing various additions to unarmed combat. Finding out where it'll fit in, who'll get it, and balancing it... those will be challenges.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I like the stun damage idea, but what about some way of killing outright?

November 20, 2012, 02:18:38 PM #5 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:25:12 PM by Schrodingers Cat
Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 20, 2012, 01:24:42 PM
And what would a critical fail look like?

Here's my idea for what a critical fail might look like:

>choke templar
As you attempt to choke the balding, obese templar, he slips away and you are left defenseless.

The intended victim would be free to attack the perpetrator.  The perpetrator would have a significant delay of  5-10 seconds to allow them to act, run away/counter attack/emote/monologue/etc.

You attempt to choke the balding, obese templar but choke yourself instead!

November 20, 2012, 02:24:08 PM #7 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:29:22 PM by Drayab
Functionally, sap already does this, albeit without the delay and with the added necessity of wielding an appropriate tool.

Sounds neat, though, if a bit redundant.

I wonder who OP imagines getting this skill.

An old thread of possible relevance: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,27071.0.html

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 20, 2012, 02:10:26 PM

Hehe, I see what you are doing here.

Trixy Brytta is trixy.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

That doesn't mean I don't also like the idea. :D (Choke, I mean, not necksnap.)

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 20, 2012, 03:14:59 PM
That doesn't mean I don't also like the idea. :D (Choke, I mean, not necksnap.)

Yup, necksnap is exactly what I was thinking heh.

I like the idea as well, but I think it should only work if your opponent is also unarmed.

Having choked out more than a few folks in exactly the way being described above, I can say yes, it is fairly easy to do once you get their back, but, put a knife in their hand and it's no go.

If they are armed they would stab a thousand holes in your guts before you could choke them out.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Having been choked out before, I agree with Desertman.

Also you should be able to try to go straight to choking out a sitting person. Unless you get a +to subdue a sitting person, which you probably do.

Quote from: Desertman on November 20, 2012, 03:11:31 PM
Trixy Brytta is trixy.

Oh, beautiful, I've proposed this myself. I am self-trolling.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 20, 2012, 03:57:12 PM
Quote from: Desertman on November 20, 2012, 03:11:31 PM
Trixy Brytta is trixy.

Oh, beautiful, I've proposed this myself. I am self-trolling.

Is that so unusual for a Republician?  :D

I dunno about this honestly, I'm wary of possible abuse, but I'm also wary of hobbits and circus folk.
>_>
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

'You fumble and choke yourself instead.'

I don't see a need for it. I assume you wouldn't want badass warriors choking out other badass warriors - which leaves everyone else. Warriors are already great at knocking out anyone who isn't as good as them at fighting (sort of already implemented in subdue). Also, I think it would cheapen sap as a skill.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 20, 2012, 02:10:26 PM

>choke Templar
You lean over the unconcious templar and choke the very life out of them.
<beep>

If they were asleep (as opposed to being unconsious) you would likely wake them up and they would be 'subdued' until they tried to flee.  Then you could try choking them again.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: musashi on November 20, 2012, 06:43:38 PM
circus folk.

QuoteSmall hands. Smell of cabbage.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

If choke took into account for my silt horror gorget, because short of a half giant cracking it with its massive grip I do not see being strangled when I have on throat protecting armor.

I think that it would have to consider many aspect for such a skill to be effective and realistically applied.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Heh, I hadn't even thought of that.  Obsidian/shell neckguards would become all the latest rage in fashion!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I dont really see the problem.I mean is a silt horror gorget just a circlet hollowed out of a shell? Is it completely solid? Or is it like pieces of shell tied together with leather straps, or even a leather length with shells sewn in? If it's the latter, that means you can bent the gorget in, no problem. Wont be able to press on a jugular or anything like that, but maybe crash the wind pipe, no problem.

You could just use the neckguard as a tool to strangle someone with....by pulling on the back of it.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Unless the neck guard is described as fastening to the cuirass/helm/coif. It can be complicated.

I have never seen one described like that...why would it be? What if you were wearing a neckband but otherwise naked?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Then I suppose you'd be engaging in some hyperbole?

Google some ye old armor. The stuff almost always fastened to its adjoining component. It wasn't just dangling all willy nilly like.