Never met you, but, you are sexy.

Started by Desertman, November 13, 2012, 11:56:11 AM

I don't like any of these options.  Though, I suppose the one I dislike the least is the one where you only get an sdesc when someone sends to you.

I say just change the policy to say it's not acceptable to use the Way to determine someone's appearance, and emphasize it in law enforcement clans.  If people still think it's a problem after that's been in effect a while, bring coded options back to the table.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on March 25, 2009, 03:03:27 PM
I've posted this idea before in the past, but for the life of me I can't find it using the search function.

Personal keywords is something I'd love to see implimented, whether in Armageddon the current, or Armageddon Reborn.

Here's how it works:

Keywords as we know it now will be gone, with the exception of sdesc keywords. Players will be able to add their own keywords for other players-- much how it works in real life. You meet someone, they tell you their name, you give them a nickname, you start knowing them by said name or nickname, all is well and good. This way, you won't have to sit and hope and pray that a character will addkeyword that witty nickname you gave them, you could just do it yourself. No longer will people be able to just contact you with the Way out of the blue, especially when they've never met you before, no longer will people get a bounty head's name, and type "look <bountyheadname>" every time they're in a crowd of people to find their quarry.

I dunno, I think it's a great idea.

What do you guys think?

Quote from: Qzzrbl on November 14, 2012, 11:41:07 AM
I've posted this idea before in the past, but for the life of me I can't find it using the search function.

Personal keywords is something I'd love to see implimented, whether in Armageddon the current, or Armageddon Reborn.

Here's how it works:

Keywords as we know it now will be gone, with the exception of sdesc keywords. Players will be able to add their own keywords for other players-- much how it works in real life. You meet someone, they tell you their name, you give them a nickname, you start knowing them by said name or nickname, all is well and good. This way, you won't have to sit and hope and pray that a character will addkeyword that witty nickname you gave them, you could just do it yourself. No longer will people be able to just contact you with the Way out of the blue, especially when they've never met you before, no longer will people get a bounty head's name, and type "look <bountyheadname>" every time they're in a crowd of people to find their quarry.

What do you guys think?

Funny, this is exactly the discussion that has been going on staff side.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on November 14, 2012, 12:59:15 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the head's up, Morg.  Always good to glean some insight into the staff's process. :)
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

I'm a big fan of doing away with "The Way" all together just because it allows you to reach out to people and talk to people you have never even met before just because you heard their name in a bar on the other side of the world.

This is even better.

Qzzrbl, I want to have your mutant babies.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

If people can't contact you without meeting you first to give you a keyword, that would make commerce and hiring very difficult.  If they can still contact you by your sdesc but not your name, I'm not sure how this changes contact, because everyone would just start posting their sdesc as the contact info on rumors and using sdesc keywords to describe people to each other instead of names. This seems like more hassle to get ahold of people than adding anything to the game.

Yes, being able to give people custom keywords would be nice, but it has nothing to do with the OP topic.

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 01:26:15 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

I'm a big fan of doing away with "The Way" all together just because it allows you to reach out to people and talk to people you have never even met before just because you heard their name in a bar on the other side of the world.

This is even better.

None of this solves the problem of sdesc sniffing by pulling a contact dark.cloak in a crowd.  It only solves the problem of across-the-known sdesc sniffing by keyword.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

OK, that solution I do like, if indeed it's something viable code-wise.

Quote from: Synthesis on November 14, 2012, 01:36:05 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

This is even better.

None of this solves the problem of sdesc sniffing by pulling a contact dark.cloak in a crowd.  It only solves the problem of across-the-known sdesc sniffing by keyword.

Agreed.

But sdesc sniffing someone you have never seen in your life from across the world because you hear the name "Vardinok" and then roleplay you know exactly what they look like because you can do that is a much bigger issue.

Would I like to solve the problem of sdesc sniffing someone you are standing in the same room with as well? Yes. But, I would prefer to start with sdesc sniffing someone from across the world more.

Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 01:56:07 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

This is even better.

None of this solves the problem of sdesc sniffing by pulling a contact dark.cloak in a crowd.  It only solves the problem of across-the-known sdesc sniffing by keyword.

Agreed.

But sdesc sniffing someone you have never seen in your life from across the world because you hear the name "Vardinok" and then roleplay you know exactly what they look like because you can do that is a much bigger issue.

Would I like to solve the problem of sdesc sniffing someone you are standing in the same room with as well? Yes. But, I would prefer to start with sdesc sniffing someone from across the world more.

Why settle, when you can kill both birds with one stone (Option D)?

I don't really like the idea of having to have to meet someone in order to contact them via the way. There would have be some kind of major world-changing magickal/psionic event to justify such a massive change to the social culture of Arm. This would be especially prohibitive in regards to clans that are spread over multiple cities.

The idea has it's pros and cons. But mostly I think it would cause such a shift in the day today life of the average Zalanthan that unless there was some kind of IC reason to back up why trade, travel, life, communication suddenly became so much harder - it would be incredibly jarring for the majority of players.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Synthesis on November 14, 2012, 01:58:22 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

This is even better.

Agreed.

Option D:  Modify the barrier skill such that barriers are initially 100% effective vs. contact, but slowly lose effectiveness over time.  Pros:  fixes the problem if you're proactive, leaves ordinary barrier functionality intact, doesn't require coding an additional skill, should be relatively easy to code.  Cons: could still interfere with other barrier-related issues.

Option D only keeps someone from sdesc sniffing me from across the world if I play with my barrier up 100% of the time.

I don't want people to be able to sdesc sniff my villians and roleplay knowing what they look like when they have never met them. True. I MIGHT play a villian who kept their barrier up 100% of the time as such.

I also do not want people my character has never met to sdesc sniff them and roleplay knowing what they look like even when I am playing a peaceful merchant, for example. Do I have to play my peaceful merchant with my barrier up 100% of the time to keep people from sdesc sniffing me from across the world with option D?

I think it's come up several times on the GDB...
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34854.0/all.html at least.

None of this solves the problem of sdesc sniffing by pulling a contact dark.cloak in a crowd.  It only solves the problem of across-the-known sdesc sniffing by keyword.

What about completely disabling contact by cloak/facewrap keywords?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Maso on November 14, 2012, 01:59:12 PM
I don't really like the idea of having to have to meet someone in order to contact them via the way. There would have be some kind of major world-changing magickal/psionic event to justify such a massive change to the social culture of Arm. This would be especially prohibitive in regards to clans that are spread over multiple cities.

The idea has it's pros and cons. But mostly I think it would cause such a shift in the day today life of the average Zalanthan that unless there was some kind of IC reason to back up why trade, travel, life, communication suddenly became so much harder - it would be incredibly jarring for the majority of players.

I would agree with you, except we do not have an IC reason to explain why you can contact people you have never met currently.

There is no IC explanation for why Zalanthans can do this. It is just accepted by the playerbase that we can because the code allows it.

There doesn't have to be an IC explanation to explain why we suddenly can't, and the playerbase will likewise accept that fact.

We don't need an IC explanation to explain a change to that which is not already explained or justified to begin with.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 14, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

I think it's come up several times on the GDB...
http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,34854.0/all.html at least.

We're well aware.  This is something that was planned and proposed for the new game, after all.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I like Morgenes' spin on OP's idea.

>contact talia

You contact a foreign presence over the Way.

>psi I got you now!

You send a telepathic message to the knock-kneed thiefy girl over the way:
   "I got you now!"

For the reason that Talia the pickpocket could possibly expel in time.

But, it would be really nice if people you have psi'ed multiple times before didn't require psi confirmation to avoid hassle.

I also like degrading barriers a lot.

I also agree with Nyr that this isn't a big deal in terms of abuse, so any improvements we can get to Way code are nice but less important. But yay for good suggestions all around!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: brytta.leofa on November 14, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

What about completely disabling contact by cloak/facewrap keywords?

You can only contact "cloak/facewrap" if you are standing in the same room with the person wearing the cloak/facewrap.

This makes IC sense. You can see the person up close with your eyes, you should be able to contact them.

That part actually makes perfect sense. Let's keep that. 

Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 02:03:44 PM
I would agree with you, except we do not have an IC reason to explain why you can contact people you have never met currently.

To be fair...we do.

The Way                                                       (Communication)

The Way, or the Way of the Mind, is the name commonly given to the use
of psionic (mental) powers on Zalanthas. Over several aeons, every living
thing in the world has developed some use of psionics. While the use of
the Way is not simple (it makes demands on one's consciousness, as measured
by your character's stun points), every character is able to make use of
it. Only psionicists, however, can truly claim to have mastered the Way.

See also:
   guild psionicist, Psionics, stun
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 02:01:28 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

This is even better.

Agreed.

Option D:  Modify the barrier skill such that barriers are initially 100% effective vs. contact, but slowly lose effectiveness over time.  Pros:  fixes the problem if you're proactive, leaves ordinary barrier functionality intact, doesn't require coding an additional skill, should be relatively easy to code.  Cons: could still interfere with other barrier-related issues.

Option D only keeps someone from sdesc sniffing me from across the world if I play with my barrier up 100% of the time.

I don't want people to be able to sdesc sniff my villians and roleplay knowing what they look like when they have never met them. True. I MIGHT play a villian who kept their barrier up 100% of the time as such.

I also do not want people my character has never met to sdesc sniff them and roleplay knowing what they look like even when I am playing a peaceful merchant, for example. Do I have to play my peaceful merchant with my barrier up 100% of the time to keep people from sdesc sniffing me from across the world with option D?

Well, I think the vast majority of the functionality is most useful for criminals, who will tend to want to be barriered most of the time, anyway...so when you weight the functionality of the code vs. who would use it, the fact that peaceful merchants won't benefit as much is a relatively minor consideration.

I'm not saying I don't like they keyword change idea--I think it's a great idea, actually.  I'm saying that it's not a complete solution by itself.  Granted, neither is Option D, but if we're going piecemeal, Option D introduces more of a fix, and it seems like it would be easier to code.

Of course, as an aside, I suspect that the coders prefer to work on things that are interesting from their perspective, and so coding something with a completely novel structure (e.g. changing the keyword system) is probably more interesting than tinkering with the equations governing success/failure rates of contact vs. barrier.  So while reinventing the wheel may actually take more work, it might also be more likely to get done.

Quote from: Nyr on November 14, 2012, 02:13:41 PM

To be fair...we do.

See also:

This just says, "The Way exists."

Am I missing the part about it explaining that we can reach the minds of people we don't even know just because we hear their name?

Not trying to be an ass, but, that appears to say exactly what I said.

The Way exists, the playerbase accepts that because the Way exists and we can do something, we do it, because it is coded that way.

November 14, 2012, 02:19:29 PM #95 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:21:52 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Synthesis on November 14, 2012, 02:15:12 PM
Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 02:01:28 PM

Here's how it works:

What do you guys think?

This is even better.

Agreed.

Option D:  Modify the barrier skill such that barriers are initially 100% effective vs. contact, but slowly lose effectiveness over time.  Pros:  fixes the problem if you're proactive, leaves ordinary barrier functionality intact, doesn't require coding an additional skill, should be relatively easy to code.  Cons: could still interfere with other barrier-related issues.

but if we're going piecemeal, Option D introduces more of a fix

While I would absolutely take Option D over what we have currently, I agree to disagree that it would be more of a fix than Qzzrbl's keyword solution.

I like D, I would just rather go the path of The Qzzrbl.

Quote from: Maso on November 14, 2012, 01:59:12 PM

I'm OK with just a retconn.  We've done it before regarding the Way.

I'm not sure that will lead to anything other than people being extremely specific with sdesc keywords.

Problem:

You know a PC, and you know their sdesc, and you know a nickname that's been connected between the two of you by the code, such that you can contact them with that nickname.  You don't know this PC's real name, because fuck that, who is going to give -anyone- their real name, when they can be spoof-proof by using a nickname?  You want someone else you know to contact this PC.  In order to arrange for that 3rd person to contact your mysterious bud, you have to give them EXACTLY the right keywords to contact them.  You have to say, "alright dude, he's an elf with cerulean eyes and flame-red hair," otherwise it's never going to happen.

By attempting to fix the problem this way, you've made it even worse.

Quote from: Desertman on November 14, 2012, 02:17:41 PM
Quote from: Nyr on November 14, 2012, 02:13:41 PM

To be fair...we do.

See also:

This just says, "The Way exists."

Am I missing the part about it explaining that we can reach the minds of people we don't even know just because we hear their name?

Because if you hear a name...you can...reach your mind into the Way and seek out all the minds that identify themselves as 'Amos'...keep in mind there is no way to know that the 'Amos' you reach is the one that was being talked about when you overhead the name 'Amos'. It would be nice if people kept this in mind in an RP sense. But can be backed up a little by the fact that all the humanoid NPC's have names too, and you can contact them. And that PC's can also have the same name...and DO.

I think this whole scenario would be improved if the one-try-per-name limit was taken off (use a different primary key, trust players not to recreate old characters), and we had more actually common names and more 'mis'contacting...To emphasis the fact that while you can contact every Amos in the Known without having met them...it's pot luck, and you can't use that to actually -identify- them as the Amos you're looking for. If you know Amos, this avoided by contacting Bones.Amos (his nickname) or brown.blue.Amos etc etc.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

November 14, 2012, 02:39:14 PM #99 Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:42:44 PM by Desertman
Quote from: Synthesis on November 14, 2012, 02:28:57 PM
Problem:

You know a PC, and you know their sdesc, and you know a nickname that's been connected between the two of you by the code, such that you can contact them with that nickname.

I'm following you here.

You don't know this PC's real name, because fuck that, who is going to give -anyone- their real name, when they can be spoof-proof by using a nickname?

Any time you give someone an "alias" you are supposed to addkeyword and add that alias to your list of nicknames. Do you not do that currently? I do that. If my name is actually Harry, but I tell someone my name is Bob, I instantly 'addkeyword bob'.

You want someone else you know to contact this PC.  In order to arrange for that 3rd person to contact your mysterious bud, you have to give them EXACTLY the right keywords to contact them.

I see that you COULD do it that way, but, it would be extremely cheesy, and borderline code abuse. You would be intentionally cheating to exploit a loop in the code that was designed to keep you from doing exactly this sort of thing.

The proper thing to do would be to arrange a meeting of the third party and your mysterious friend face to face so that those two people could then communicate telepathically, having actually met each other.

You have to say, "alright dude, he's an elf with cerulean eyes and flame-red hair," otherwise it's never going to happen.

If someone ever did that to me they would get a...

OOC: Hey man, you aren't supposed to bypass the coded restrictions of the Way by doing that.

And that would be followed with a submitted player complaint with the log attached.

By attempting to fix the problem this way, you've made it even worse.

I have to agree to disagree.