Random clothing poll

Started by My 2 sids, August 20, 2003, 03:15:32 PM

Do you pay attention to the full description of clothing?

Yes, I look at the full description of clothing someone is wearing.
38 (69.1%)
Yes, but only when I use the view command in the shop
11 (20%)
No, I only pay attention to the sdecs of clothing
6 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: August 20, 2003, 03:15:32 PM

I'm just wondering how many people actually look at the decriptions of clothing and not just the sdesc?

when meeting someone in game , do you look (look woman's shirt) at the description of what they are actually wearing?

Do you yourself consider the actual description of the clothing when clothing your character?

Anyone who has ever written up an artical of clothing... what is your wisdom on the matter?

I've seen a few people who -must- (a noble wearing something when the main description states its of poor craftmanship) buy clothing according to the sdecs and was wondering how common it is.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I voted for the option about using the view command, but I occasionally look at the descriptions of things people are wearing.  However, I try to exercise a bit of discretion as to the appropriateness of the action.  I could be wrong, but I've always seen looking at the full description of an item as subjecting it to closer scrutiny.  Currently I'm playing a commoner, and there's no chance he'd be so brazen as to subject a noble or templar's shirt to scrutiny, especially if said noble or templar was female, lest he be accused of leering.  So the only time I look at full descriptions on a consistent basis is if I have it in my inventory, in a shop inventory, or if it's lying around.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Does it echo when you look at a persons things in more deatail?  I don't believe it does...
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

No, there is no echo.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I always look at the descriptions of items my character wears before buying them (and often again, as a refresher, before using them in emotes - to check for appropriateness).

I -sometimes- look at what other people are wearing. It really depends on if the item catches my attention. I do it tons with people's cloaks and weapons, as many of them might not include an insigna or other important detail in the sdesc, but do it the description.

I also pretty much always do if including someone else's clothing/equipment in one of my emotes, or if I'm commenting on it - mostly just to make sure I'm not making an ass out of myself by misinterpreting.
quote="Lirs"]Sometimes I wonder why I do it.. when reading the GDB feels like death.[/quote]

Depends on the item. If it's something unusual, yeah, I look at it, or if I've never seen it before. Or just to make sure as I'm including it in an emote. Otherwise I don't look at common everyday things, such as a dark hooded cloak.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

It depends upon the character, but if I am the sort to look for important people, I always check out robes, cloaks, and some jewlery.  Robes and cloaks often have large blatent symbols on them.  Taking a quick peek at someone's clothing can say a lot about them, especially if they have some clan clothing thrown in the mix.  I also tend to look at intersting non-generic items when I have the chance, or check out clothing in more detail if I am trying to figure how rich someone is.

I vote for number one, hoping you don't mean looking at every piece of clothing at all times. :)
I'll definately look at things before buying or using them, whether it be food, a spice pipe or a pair of boots.
On other PCs, I'll look if my PC needs to find out who they work for or if a piece sticks out and/or is unfamiliar to me.

Concerning the issue that viewing someones clothes would mean to ICly take a close inspection, I don't agree with that.
I treat the item-text as OOC info. The parts of it that seem reasonable for my PC to notice, I let her notice.
If someone is standing with their back to me, I won't see the Wyvern on the front pocket, etc. But it's impossible to find out what info your PC could gander from a glance, if you don't read the description at all.
I find most items to be written according to this principle. They are supposed to be read by both wearer and viewer. Therefore, you also include things such as lining and comfort, which would most of the time be unknown to the viewer. As an item-writer, you have no way of revealing info about the item to -only- the holder/wearer.

In my experience sdescs are by far much more important than main descs when it comes to people buying stuff to wear. Short, neat-sounding sdescs seem to sell best.
I also find that things that are considered kewl in RL sell better than other things. The Zalanthan fashion sense is influenced by our RL fashion sense. :)
For example, I once wrote a pair of tight black leather pants and didn't think much about it but discovered that people really wanted a pair of those - honestly, I can't imagine many clothes that'd be less comfortable in the hot desert world of Zalanthas, but yes, tight black leather pants are kewl. ;)

The only real difference I've noticed concerning whether the item desc is long or not, is that if you write special items for someone, they seem to really appreciate and feel special if they get a 10-liner rather than a 5-liner. I guess a long desc indicates that something is particular - or is it just flattering that someone took the time to write with such detail?

I'm one of those people that if I'm sitting in a bar and a Blue Robe Templar walks in, will just sit at the bar unnoticing and uncareing because of the shear number of Blue Robes.  So when ever I, as a player, see a templar walk into the room, I will "l templar's robe" to see what color it is.  If it's anything but blue, I act accordingly, if it is blue, I then get to decide how my character reacts.

But at other times, I'll mostly look at clothing descriptions if it catches my eye.

~Drunken Salarr
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Ooh.  Didn't know that looking at people's items wasn't echoed.  I guess that could get pretty spammy if it echoed.  In that case, I withdraw my earlier opinion, and will now run about in a mad frenzy looking at everyone's stuff.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I've written a few pieces of clothing, and I sure hope that people look at them.  It's very hard to convey everything I see in my mind in an sdesc.

I look at clothing often, but usually only if it looks interesting or if someone is emoting with it.

I'm with everyone else that says that they'll look at clothing if it catches their eye.  I don't look at every piece of gear every person I run across is wearing...I mean, that would take a lot of time that I could be spending interacting with them instead.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.