Short Description Length

Started by sprucebark, October 20, 2012, 01:27:24 AM

Since its inherently racist to make everyone that isn't human use up part of their short desc dedicated to race, could they maybe get a few extra characters?

Zalanthas is all about inherent racism.

Huh? Dwarf/elf aren't much different than man/woman.

I would guess half-giant is the offending racial keyword in question. But IMO if you're a half-giant you need that in your sdesc. There aren't really any alternatives. I've seen just 'giant' before, but that to me seemed not quite right. Not only because there are actual giants in the game, but also because why does he get to be giant when all the other half-giants remain only half a one? I suppose you could have an sdesc like the gargantuan, beastial humanoid, but... I really don't see any reasonable alternatives personally.

Actually, there are no actual "giants" They also have a name that has a - in it.

You used to be able to just use giant in your sdesc, but that was changed quite some time ago because people were getting confused I guess...though I had no problem with it since Silt-giants are not playable so...there really should not be any confusion.

On the other side of the coin, I don't have any problem no matter which way it goes. Just means you need be more creative.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It's racist against women too, doubly so when all the wimmens need more characters to be pretty

Quote from: Case on October 20, 2012, 07:06:24 PM
It's racist against women too, doubly so when all the wimmens need more characters to be pretty

Women are a race now?

New character idea...
Race: Woman

Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 20, 2012, 02:16:52 AM

You can't use the same # of characters to do "dwarven man" as opposed to just "man".

To add to my support, I also point out that hooded figures have -much- longer Sdescs.

Don't  add your gender then. Someone should figure it out quickly. Either by just glancing at your mdesc or looking at your possessive emotes.
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

October 21, 2012, 12:30:19 AM #9 Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:34:50 AM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: sprucebark on October 20, 2012, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on October 20, 2012, 02:16:52 AM

You can't use the same # of characters to do "dwarven man" as opposed to just "man".

To add to my support, I also point out that hooded figures have -much- longer Sdescs.

Use race as the noun. Don't feel obligated to put gender in the sdesc.

Or if you want to put bother gender and race in the sdesc, think of it as brevity training. Fortify your wittiness. The perfect sdesc in my mind achieves uniqueness despite both brevity and simplicity; those flowing hyphenated monsters that crawl across the screen like wordy tentacles that other players must wrestle with to figure out which PC is that again are not ideal.

I kind of always felt the opposite.
That being human meant you had to waste a word on the character's sex.
My next human will be

the awesomely awesome human.

Man or woman?! you'll never know!
:-)

Quote from: kayza on October 21, 2012, 01:03:33 AM
I kind of always felt the opposite.
That being human meant you had to waste a word on the character's sex.
My next human will be

the awesomely awesome human.

Man or woman?! you'll never know!

You can waste a word on not saying their gender, too.

The androgynous human.

Oh oh, let me try.... The Girlish, bearded human and The Manly, ample-breasted elf?
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: Narf on October 20, 2012, 07:13:48 PM
Quote from: Case on October 20, 2012, 07:06:24 PM

Women are a race now?

New character idea...
Race: Woman
When the women are about as fictional as the races being discriminated against by the English language, yeah

So, just to be fair:

man/woman
elf/elftress
dwarf/dwarfette
mul/muless
templar/temptress

Templar works fine for both genders...
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on October 22, 2012, 05:22:28 PM
Templar works fine for both genders...

The point I hoped to make was that none of them are 'fair' and probably 'human' or should be used just as often as mul, dwarf, elf, etc. are.

Templar is a special case. It has to do with a particular item the character wears, and isn't inputted at character generation.

The female version of mul is mulette.  :D
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.