Question about examinig an object

Started by Maker, October 07, 2012, 07:40:52 AM

I've noticed, when you view an item in the inventory of a vendor, it gives you some information about what you might be able to do with it or what certainother quality you notice about it. This is not the ldesc part, but the lines below the ldesc.  However, I cannot find a command to examine an object and get the same information on it when it is in my inventory.  I wuld think 'examine' would provide that info, but it doesn't.  Is this an oversight, or is it intended that way by design?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

'assess' is the command you're looking for.

Quote from: vissa on October 07, 2012, 07:51:20 AM
'assess' is the command you're looking for.

I tried it.  Doesn't give the same info.  I can get more information 'view'ing something in a vendor's inventory than I can 'assess'ing it in my own.

-John F. Kennedy

Hm.  Have you tried 'value?'   Off-hand, I can't recall ever seeing any information via 'view <#>' that I couldn't get with using 'value,' 'examine' and 'assess,' but it's hard to say without knowing exactly what you're looking for.

No.  Value doesn't work either.  Having certain crafting skills, I am discovering, apparently means you get information as to what you might be able to do with an object when you view that object in th evendor's inventory.  For example, if you can cook (I'm guessing it is skill level dependent), and if you view a seasoning object in a vendor's inventory, it will tell you "You think that could be used in cooking."  However, if you buy it, then 'assess', 'examine', or 'value' it, it won't tell you that.

-John F. Kennedy

It's

assess -v

The -v means "verbose" and gives you all the information available to your character via assess.  Assess without argument is more like "assess -b," which means "brief," but doesn't exist in the code currently.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Pretty sure the '-v' command doesn't actually do anything unless it's a PC/NPC. (Though to be fair, I always 'ass -v' anyways.

Quote from: HelpfileAssess                                                              (Perception)

This command allows you to briefly examine someone or something to
determine its condition. You will learn his or her relative state of health
and his or her relative state of exhaustion.  Assessing objects will often
yield useful information about their nature, such as how much longer a
light will last, or what a tool might be used for.
   The optional -v flag (the verbose flag) can be added to gain additional
information about the person you are examining, such as age, height, and
weight, and if they are armed.
   The command without arguments will display its proper syntax.

Syntax:
   assess <character name>
   assess -v <character name>
   assess <object name>

Example:
   > assess kank

> assess ur

> assess -v azroen

Notes:
   People in the room have a chance to notice you assessing them and others.
If they're actively watching you, chances go up that they'll see you do this.

You can use assess to notice when someone is watching you.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on October 07, 2012, 10:26:53 AM
Pretty sure the '-v' command doesn't actually do anything unless it's a PC/NPC. (Though to be fair, I always 'ass -v' anyways.

Actually, -v was the solution.  That did it.  Thanks all!

-John F. Kennedy

Well huh... The more you know!

And knowing is half the battle!

The other half is divided between red and green lasers.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Maker on October 07, 2012, 08:04:51 AM
No.  Value doesn't work either.  Having certain crafting skills, I am discovering, apparently means you get information as to what you might be able to do with an object when you view that object in th evendor's inventory.  For example, if you can cook (I'm guessing it is skill level dependent), and if you view a seasoning object in a vendor's inventory, it will tell you "You think that could be used in cooking."  However, if you buy it, then 'assess', 'examine', or 'value' it, it won't tell you that.
You want analyze, I think?

Quote from: thatkid on October 07, 2012, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: Maker on October 07, 2012, 08:04:51 AM
You want analyze, I think?

No, Analyze is for the seasoned steak.