Consent and a way to cease the way

Started by Kebron, September 06, 2012, 02:15:51 PM

September 06, 2012, 02:15:51 PM Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:30:29 PM by Nyr
So a common theme in most fantasy novels is powerful people comming to, even temporarily, bad circumstances. This happens in armageddon on a very regular basis the problem that occurs with this is that there are very few options outside of death to ultimately make these things "playable". A good example is a spoiler I had for Game of Thrones and this is not acceptable!  --Nyr This unfortunately could never happen in armageddon due to 2 major flaws, there are countless more obsticles to this kind of roleplay but these first 2 are absolutely imperative to address before you could even consider going down that route of roleplay.
1) Imprisonment. There aren't that many players with facilities to perform such, there are more in allanak than in most other regions of gameplay from my own observation but ultimately your average evil magicker wind-mage or sorcerer doesn't have the resources necesary on hand to imprison someone for even as much as a RL day without them simply walking away.
2) The way, even if you have the facilities or utilize the natural terrain to your advantage (ie: whisking someone away to your desert cavern where they face iminent death should they try to simply walk out) you still have the facility of someone to send a message immediately for aide to their compatriots eliminating the unknown factor of "What ever happened to dear old Amos?"

In Arm that same circumstance would have had to of ended with Amos's death immediately. If he had been captured in an Armageddon scene he could have simply wayed his friends and even though he would still be tortured and crippled they could ultimately rescue him or at least know what fate befell him which puts an entirely different dynamic on that kind of roleplay.

As a way to reduce such I think it might be plausable to create some way to constrict peoples use of the Way when dealing with this kind of thing.
Now I'm not going to say I have an answer for it yet, I am by no means a coder, but would it be possible to create somthing that would allow people in positions of authority to block the use of the way by their captives even if only for as long as an IC year? Sort of like shackles for your mind? Perhaps some power inate in templars of both regions and powerful magickers both elemental and sorcerous? Perhaps even some kind of alchemical brew designed that when regularly given to a character makes use of the way impossible or near impossible until the effects wear off? (This third option would enable someone to resist should their capture not keep them regularly dosed and would offer at least some chance of resistance over time.)

That would open up the possibility of capture instead of simply murdering someone. In a real life sense capturing a prisoner served historicallly as a source of labor, a source of personal power, and a way to degrade your victim rather than outright kill them. Ala, its better to shear the sheep than to slaughter the sheep because you can get an unlimited supply of wool from a living sheep but only a limited supply of meat from a dead one.

While not ideal seeing as a large number of people would have absolutely no interest in roleplaying something as dire as being flayed alive and mentally broken , especially if they were comming from a position of power before that point, I think it would open up a huge amount of possibilities for interaction in other ways.

Examples include:
The sorcerer who captures and enslaves grebbers and craftsmen to perform labor for him.
The templar who somehow gains control over the opositions champion and bends them to his/her will.
The Kurac sergeant leading a chain-gang of prisoners out to the silt to gather spice.

The list goes on as its all only limited by the players imagination of uses for other characters, and while not necessarily a desirable end to the victim I think in alot of cases it would give a powerful incentive to find other ways to deal with problems that currently can only be dealt with by ending someones life permanently.

Its not a perfect idea by a long shot I admit, but I'm hoping some of you smarter folks out there might be able to mull it over and come up with a more feasable idea.

September 06, 2012, 02:22:48 PM #1 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:24:42 PM by Maso
Major Game of Thrones Spoiler alert. :(

How could you?

Also, yes it might seem impossible to to hold be captive, stop them from using the Way etc....but...FIND OUT IC. (hint: it's not). Just don't expect regular Amos to be able to do it.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Kebron on September 06, 2012, 02:15:51 PM
As a way to reduce such I think it might be plausable to create some way to constrict peoples use of the Way when dealing with this kind of thing.

tell victim Find my mind, way me something so I know it's you, and stay in my head. Or I kill you.

It's okay, I fixed the GoT spoiler.

But seriously, find out IC and figure this out in-game.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.