Random draw

Started by Morrolan, September 04, 2012, 05:33:32 PM

I would like to see a way to either draw a random item from a bag/pouch/etc. or to randomize the order of the bag (so that getting the first thing in the bag would be random).

Getting a random item would be cool for such things as drawing lots (who gets the black stone in the bag of white stones?), and randomizing the contents of a bag (if all the items were different) could have the same effect.

This could be applied in any number of situations, such as developing new ways of telling fortunes, selecting who gets a prize, and so forth.  At first I was thinking that such a script could be added to specific items, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that this could apply to any container, and doesn't give any major exploitable advantage.  (of course, you have to trust the person doing the draw).
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

> get random bag (after rummaging inside for a minute)
After rummaging inside the bag for a minute, the tall, brown haired man randomly gets a white vellum ticket from a gem-encrusted, blue silk bag.

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I like it. :)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

This would be really cool.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Wife swapping, anybody?  ???

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yeah. Wife swapping and bingo.

+1

This would be awesome.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Tugging a cube out of his velvety black bag, the tall, brown-haired man shouts in sirihish, "Twoooo fat ladies! Yup, we have a picture of two fat ladies folks!"

How did random draw turn into ... wife swapping? Ohhh my innocent little mind.
Peering into the darkness, your voice uncertain, you say, in sirihish:
     "You be wary, you lot. It ain' I who's locked 'p here with yeh. it's the whol
e bunch of youse that's locked down here with meh."

Quote from: SmashedTregil on September 05, 2012, 12:43:16 PM
How did random draw turn into ... wife swapping? Ohhh my innocent little mind.

Yeah, where did Zalanthan people get "wives"? Mates, I can see...but they get swapped already.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Pedantic, the lot of you!

Mate-swapping. Whatever.

I was not being serious.

And for the innocent one, wife-swapping was done at the end of parties, by all the guys throwing their keys into a hat, and the women would pick them out, whoever's keys they got - they went home with. I do not know this from personal experience.

What if they got their own partner's keys?

There's probably an app for it these days anyway.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Quote from: lordcooper on September 05, 2012, 10:08:05 PM
What if they got their own partner's keys?

>reroll keys
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I dig this idea.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Cool idea. But could also be accomplished with any decent mud client.

Yes but ideally we'd like for the randomness to come from within the game rather than trust the person on the other end isn't just manually typing in what they want.

In the short term coins and dice work well for random selection of people, ect.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on September 18, 2012, 11:09:51 PM
Yes but ideally we'd like for the randomness to come from within the game rather than trust the person on the other end isn't just manually typing in what they want.

In the short term coins and dice work well for random selection of people, ect.

There's going to be some level of trust no matter what, as you have no guarantee they're not simply emoting and then getting whatever they want out of the container anyway, without using any hard coded random fetch command.
I was just suggesting a quick work around for the OP so that they could at least be doing this themselves without having to wait for it to be hard coded.

I suppose if you put everything into identical bags...and then put them into a container (e.g. a bigger bag).

They they could...get bag large...or get 23.bag large...without knowing what's inside.

Quote from: Maso on September 19, 2012, 12:39:16 PM
They they could...get bag large...or get 23.bag large...without knowing what's inside.

"A New Car...ru!"

>A tall, well-groomed carru charges the blond, chiseled game show contestant.

The tall, muscular man says, watching TV,
        "Well, must have been the sudden death round."

Well, there are sites like http://rolz.org/ that let people join a roll channel and all see each others rolls. You could ooc a channel name and tell everyone to join it to roll. Make sure everyone uses the right values for the # of items to roll from. Maybe not ideal, but it's a solution until they add /roll <low> <high> and /roll #d# to the mud. You type in a display name every time you use it, so it doesn't give away any identifying information.

Yeah, that's not a good idea.

There are dice in game if your characters have reason to be rolling for things. For random drawing, there's nothing stopping the person from doing the drawing from using virtual dice themselves to determine what they grab. Which is good enough for me; if you emote that you are randomly drawing something (and do not hemote actually doesn't draw randomly but makes a delibrate choice) I'll trust that you did it randomly.

get 1. bag

This will pull the first thing out of a bag.

get . bag

I think will pull a random item from a bag

"get . bag" does exactly the same as "get 1. bag" ie gets the first item from bag

Quote from: Intrepid237 on December 08, 2012, 06:15:41 AM
get 1. bag

This will pull the first thing out of a bag.

get . bag

I think will pull a random item from a bag