Temperature

Started by HaiWolfe, August 17, 2003, 10:07:14 AM

Quote>weather
It is a cool night.
The sky is clear.
A cool breeze blows from the east.

I'm wondering, how cool is cool? I remember reading in a doc that temperatures in Allanak can rise up to 140 degrees, so are we talking about relatively cool, as in 90 or so degrees?

Then again, it's known that deserts have a tendency to a large range of temperature, from very hot during the day to quite cold at night. Do Zalanthan deserts behave in a similar fashion? If so, then a cool night could be more like 40 degrees.

Any thoughts?

I don't think the docs mention low temperatures, so you have to guess a bit.  I doubt that it gets close to freezing in any common areas of the known world, mountain tops and such might freeze, but who cares what is happening on a mountain top?  

The coldest weather I've seen is cool with cold wind.  Having seen American tourists declare 15C (about 60F) days to be cold, my guess is that Zalanthian cool is probably warmer than Canadian cool.  In open areas a cool night with a cold wind might be 50F, well above freezing but noticably cool.  However it might not get that cool inside buildings, especially thick-walled stone or brick buildings with small windows.  It would likely take a few days of cool weather for the buildings too cool off.

A cool day with a cool wind is probably closer to 70.  Noticably cool by Zalanthian standards, but no risk of hypothermia, and not terribly uncomfortable even without a cloak.

On a related note, I think the hottest I've seen is "infernally hot," but I've only noticed it a couple times.  (I may even have immagined it).  My guess is that 140 is rare infernally hot weather.  I immagine normally hot weather likely doesn't often get above 120.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Having seen American tourists declare 15C (about 60F) days to be cold...

They must have been from Florida to say somthing like that.  I'm from GA and that say stuff like that about here too. The also like to complain that there are too many hills when attending a camp in the mountains, but that's a different matter.

On the matters of temerature, I would have to agree with most of what Always Celsius had to say.  As for hypothermia risk, I disagree.  I think that Zalanthan's could very easily get hypothermia at 70ºF, especially if its been in the extream highs for a while.  Am I suggesting we code this, feck no, that would be a pain.

One think I might like to see coded however, is a weather message that tells you about wind changes, especially if it's a direction change or a large strength or temperature difference.  That shouldn't be too hard to code and would be something easily noticeable by just about anyone.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Keep in mind that Zalanthans have different bodies than us. Theirs are better evolved for the environment. 85 degrees is hot for me but to an Allanaki citizen who goes around all day wearing heavy armor that could be cold to them.

Also, your body will start to adapt to a temperature after a while. Living in Connecticut, I'm not used to the wet heat of Florida. When I go down there it feels like I weigh a hundred pounds more if I'm outside. After a month or so I'll stop to notice and eventually will grow to enjoy that climate. Before my father died he moved tp (OMG! Surprise!) Florida. The situation above happened to him. He couldn't work in air conditioning so his body had to forcefully become used to the temperature.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

I grew up in Florida and although it is usually pretty hot and humid I guess I was used to it.  Well, I moved away and lived in a much different climate for 5 years.  When I moved back I remember thinking, oh my God, this is horrible, the heat, the humidity, I'm going to die!  After a year or so I got used to it and now it seems quite bearable again.

As for the Zalanthas world, its a desert.  Deserts are cold at night, they are subject to large temperature swings.  Check out the seasonal temperatures for places like Tuscon where your average high/ low in July would be like 110/70 and January would be like 80/30 (or a 50F shift from daytime to night).
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

Allow me to be the voice of logic (i hope)

Its all fine and well to say that Armageddon's world reaches 80C on average a day, but i dont think water can adapt like that, what begins to evaporate ar 41 or so, human blood boils at 50C.

I would be more open to a normal day is 45C, and a VERY hot day would be 49-50C, at night the temp would drop to around, 38, a "cold" day would be 35.  At least with those temps, we can keep that level of grittyness and a hot dry land, and not throw the laws of nature out the window....
on't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.

------

"I have more hit points that you can possible imagine." - Tek, Muk and my current PC.

QuoteThen again, it's known that deserts have a tendency to a large range of temperature, from very hot during the day to quite cold at night. Do Zalanthan deserts behave in a similar fashion? If so, then a cool night could be more like 40 degrees.

I remember reading some obscure help file a long time ago which stated that desert nights on Zalanthas are generally as hot as the day because the night time is so short (compared to an Earth night), and there isn't enough time for the land to cool.

If you all want to know... the deserts of the world get very hot and very cold because there is no isulation provided by cloud cover.  So in game, without clouds, the tempature could go to extremes easily.  

However, as stated, the nights are very short so the earth couldn't cool very much.  So I'd say the temps could move up and down as much as twenty to thirty degrees.[/quote]
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

QuoteIf you all want to know... the deserts of the world get very hot and very cold because there is no isulation provided by cloud cover. So in game, without clouds, the tempature could go to extremes easily.

However, as stated, the nights are very short so the earth couldn't cool very much. So I'd say the temps could move up and down as much as twenty to thirty degrees.

Well... In Zalanthas though... The sand cover could probably keep in a good portion of heat. Just like smog tends to keep it warmer in the cities. Any sort of cover works, and there probably still is clouds in Zalanthas although probably not too much.

140*F would probably be pretty hot. I remember here on the west coast when it broke 110*F or so and that was pretty bad but I was still out running around all day. Personally... I think the weather probably doesn't chance too much, to possibly changing drastically depending on the weather... There is ALOT of unknown would out there that would effect the weather in the Known World, so the weather would probably be incredibly unpredictable just taking into account the small area of the known world.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Just thought that consideing I am currently in a hell hole like Zanthalas I could have something to add. During the day here in Afghanistan, it gets up to about 54C in the shade. As soon as the sun sets the temperature dops very quickly, down to about 11C. The landscape here in Kabul is very similar to what I would imagine Zanthalas, well atleast the Alanakki area to be like. When the sand storms were happening here, the temperature was moderated a bit, a bit cooler during the day and a bit warmer at night but not much. Maybe ten degrees celcius. Hope that helps a bit. Damn smelly city, I can't wait to go home.

Quote from: "Anarchy"
Its all fine and well to say that Armageddon's world reaches 80C on average a day, but i dont think water can adapt like that, what begins to evaporate ar 41 or so, human blood boils at 50C.

I would be more open to a normal day is 45C, and a VERY hot day would be 49-50C, at night the temp would drop to around, 38, a "cold" day would be 35.  At least with those temps, we can keep that level of grittyness and a hot dry land, and not throw the laws of nature out the window....

I agree.  At 140 you will lose many people to the heat.  The old, the very young and anyone that is exerting themselves at all (pretty much everyone but nobles with cooled basements) will die. It simply couldn't be happening on a regular basis.  If it happened a couple times a year, or even once every couple years, enough infants and others would die each time to cause extinction within a few decades.  It seems implausible that a city with many thousands of people could survive.

Sure, you can say they are adapted to it, but then we are again getting to the point where they aren't human, they are just aliens who bear some superficial similarities to humans.  At that point who cares what temperature it is?  If the aliens can live at those temperatures and are adapted to them, then those are "normal" temperatures.  Call it 200F, the aliens don't care.  What they call "water" is actually liquified silica polymers that evaporate at much higher temperatures than H2O.

140 is good for shock value, but it seems implausibily high.  I'd like to see the temperature range reviewed and defined by the staff (Yabusta's Afganistan numbers look good) or have the few current references to specific numbers removed and let people decide for themselves what cool, warm, hot, very hot, VERY hot, and infernally hot feel like.

Quote from: "creeper386"
Well... In Zalanthas though... The sand cover could probably keep in a good portion of heat. Just like smog tends to keep it warmer in the cities. Any sort of cover works, and there probably still is clouds in Zalanthas although probably not too much.

Maybe.  Some places, like the salt flats, don't have much cover of any kind so it could get pretty cold at night.  Places like the area around Red Storm have a perpetual cover of sand and dust, but unlike clouds or smog the dust and sand must be constantly moving at high speeds because without a strong wind it would fall to the ground.  The strong wind that carries the material might negate the insulating effect.

Quote from: "creeper386"Personally... I think the weather probably doesn't chance too much, to possibly changing drastically depending on the weather...

The weather changes drastically depending on the weather?  Now you are just trying to get quoted in someones sig.  :P

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Here on earth the massive amouts of water cause our tempuratures to change slowly.

On Zalanthas, a desert environment, it can change from very hot, to a very cool temperature within minutes, I think.

I work out in the hot southern weather.  It can easily be 20-25 degrees F cooler in the shade.   You can instantly feel cooler when a large, thick cloud blocks the light of the sun.

Zalanthas would be much similar in the like and of our desert climates.  The surface of the ground would still radiate small amouts of heat for a short while at night, but it quickly loses energy due to its sandy nature, and the heat is only stored in the first foot or so of soil.  Very hot during the day, but with no sun (source of heat) and small amouts of water nearby, the temperature could actually reach lower levels when the games says "cold wind"  or a "cool" temperature.  

Just my two, well educated guess worth of sids.

EDIT:  PS. Oh, and Yasbusta, 54C is almost 130 F.   We'd have alot of dead soldiers if it got 130 F in the shade. ::EDIT:: (upon reading another post)

I haven't been keeping up with this thread very much, so sorry if this hasn't already been pointed out... But in the 'Introductory Information' on the Arm website, under 'Overview of the Game' it states:

QuoteThe world of Armageddon is known as Zalanthas. It is a harsh planet where only the fittest survive, and competition over extremely scarce resources causes constant strife, struggle, and bloodshed. Deserts cover most of its explored surface, and the great red sun can bring temperatures as high as 150 degrees during mid-day and as low as 60 degrees at night.

Ta-da! Who rules?  :lol:
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Last time I read that it was 140... Or some other document says 140... 140 is alittle unreasonable except extremely rare times... 150 I think is absolutly crazy... Although I'm not sure the highest Earth tempeture ever recorded was... But... Yeah.

Creeper

And by the weather changing by the weather... I meant that the weather of the unknown world would be a really hard thing to really figure out JUST by being within the known world. It'd probably seem VERY erratic as it's only a small section... We don't even know what the rest of the world looks like.... SOOOO.... The weather could change drastically based on features in the rest of the known world that aren't apparent to the players... And maybe even staff.
21sters Unite!

Quote from: "creeper386"Last time I read that it was 140... Or some other document says 140... 140 is alittle unreasonable except extremely rare times... 150 I think is absolutly crazy... Although I'm not sure the highest Earth tempeture ever recorded was... But... Yeah.

I just wanted to share part of an E-Mail I recieved from one of my best friends who is currently stationed in Iraq.

Quote from: "SPC DuBose, Mark"Yes this little middle east country of high temps and lots of dust not to mention bugs that will eat you alive and come back for seconds. Yes to all who wonder, it does get into the upper 150's here and yesterday, the same as the day before, it was in the upper 160's

That to me sounds quite a bit like the weather described for the game world.  I left the first line in because I thought it was funny how the bugs in Iraq, though smaller, sound like the bugs on Zalanthas.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Well considering I was just there I do believe that perhaps, just perhaps I might kow what I am talking about, 54C isn't that bad when there is no humidity, if there was humidity then yes, I am sure I would be dead, or almost, but I think I have made it home alright, yeah me. No more breathing in feces

QuoteThe world of Armageddon is known as Zalanthas. It is a harsh planet where only the fittest survive, and competition over extremely scarce resources causes constant strife, struggle, and bloodshed. Deserts cover most of its explored surface, and the great red sun can bring temperatures as high as 150 degrees during mid-day and as low as 60 degrees at night.

I would like to note here that in the game itself, you are already coded to dehydrate -very- rapidly during noontime hours if the temprature is even hot. Normal seems to be in the 90 to 109 F range, and hot, I surmise, in the 110 to 120 range. And yes, humans can most certianly function in that temprature. Once again, I bring to mind the Afganistan desert, as did Yasbusta, where temperatures were noted in the paper as 'cooling off' to 115 F.

Now, the quote above from the help files states that the sun 'can' bring the temperature to 150 F. That would be an infernally hot day, and it is very likely that even thirty in-game minutes would dry you out to dehydration, and likely even less time is required.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870