Making Wagons - Skeezy Workaround & Other Ideas

Started by Creslin, August 10, 2012, 07:31:19 PM

I wanted to post this in the "Making Wagons" Thread but I've been away for a while and it got closed so I'm making another thread.

This is my idea for how to add small coded wagons that can be bought, crafted, and stored.

1] Create a new Mobile type WAGON
2] Add body parts Wheel, Axel, Front/Back/Side to the mobile
3] Add to movement code to not reduce MV from WAGON type mobiles so it cannot tire and stop  "following" the mount it is hitched to.
4] Allow the "pack" command to pack items on wagon with much higher carrying capacity than mounts. (Unless they are made so they can be entered)
5] Modify corpse creation code to change SDESC to "wrekage" instead of "corpse" for mobile type WAGON
6] Modify "hitch" command to allow you to hitch mobile type WAGON to mounts
7] Only way NPC WAGON can move is if it is hitched to a mount.
8] Modify "give" and a select few other commands to not work on mobile type WAGON to maintain realism.
9] Have a system identical to mount stables to store wagons at wagon yards.

Optional:
10] If we want them to be enterable, create a zone of 1000 rooms for good measure. (Possibly not needed, see below)
11] Make all the rooms identical "Inside a Wagon" rooms.
12] When a wagon is purchased, or a wagon is removed from Wagon Yard "stables" check a linked list of assigned VNUMs, select an unused room and store it in the mobs data struct as the room you enter when entering the WAGON mobile.
13] Modify "enter" code to work on mobile type WAGON
14] Modify the exit of the assigned room to the room the player is in when they enter the wagon so they leave back to the room the entered from.
15] NOTE: I'm not sure how TENT code works, but if there is already a method for creating dynamic rooms on the fly, or if they pull from a pool of pre-created rooms, then just reuse the code from tents for use with wagons.

BETTER ALTERNATIVE:
I have no idea how wagons work in-game or how tents work all of this is based on assumptions.
What to do:
- Have a secondary type of wagon, "small wagons" or carts that do not have to be piloted and just need to be pulled by a mount.
- Duplicate Tent code, but wagons can not obviously be carried, and must be purchased in "outside" rooms that can be entered by mounts, go straight to room when bought and must be hitched to a mount.
- Create "Wagon" item in room that works identical to a tent.
- Make interior of wagon "Save" (but obviously not quit)
- Allow players to "hitch" said "small wagons" to mounts of the proper size.

This is all just off the top of my head, but I've coded on dozens of Diku and Circle MUDs (and other code bases) over the last 15 years. It is certainly do-able with a bit of work.

So what we end up with is a wagon that can store items, be led by mounts and potentially with a little code reuse from tent code or a bit of work, can be entered. No need for staff intervention or creation and the player base can have wagons galor.

I wouldn't want to see this implemented because wagons aren't supposed to be some glorious, available construct for everyone and their mother to use. I understand that all you really want is dinky carts to hitch to your mount, but I don't think turning the cart into some mute NPC and letting it be stabled is really worth the code implementation, considering that very few characters ever truly need a wagon. We can already pack an obscene amount of weight onto most mounts, and that should be utilized more, in my opinion. Just like their argosy counterparts, these miniature wagons would still be expensive and require a dedicated place to build them. After all, it isn't feasible for a character to build a wagon in a day. If they're sold by a merchant, they should be obscenely expensive. I mean, if a cloth tent costs 1500 sid, then if this was implemented then I'd want to see wooden pull-carts that cost 5000 sid or more.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I recommended an idea to simply modify silt skimmers to travel on land; renamed as wagons.

But I don't known if you can 'put' items on silt skimmers :\
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on August 11, 2012, 12:32:07 PM
I recommended an idea to simply modify silt skimmers to travel on land; renamed as wagons.

You can.  They essentially function like tricked-out tables.  I even suggested a similar idea a long time back.

I do think nominally available wagons would be a benefit to the game as a place for players to gather around in the wilderness and such, so that hunters can spend weeks out in the badlands without getting lost due to inconsistent playtimes and the like.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on August 11, 2012, 12:32:07 PM

I think this is a great idea.  A further improvement would be if mounts were made to rest on these, considering that they were large enough to hold the weight.

Ok. New plan.

Once an RL year staff loads a fully functional wagon into Cai Shyzn, and it's a bloody free-for-all to get to it and escape with it alive and intact. Winner gets their wagons, losers feed whatever is in Cai Shyzn (I believe its mantis.)

I would suggest reading over staff responses in that thread.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Karieith on August 11, 2012, 01:14:52 PM
Ok. New plan.

Once an RL year staff loads a fully functional wagon into Cai Shyzn, and it's a bloody free-for-all to get to it and escape with it alive and intact. Winner gets their wagons, losers feed whatever is in Cai Shyzn (I believe its mantis.)

Elves would burn it down first. New Wagon becomes a quit/save haven for rogue gickers. Elves kill more rogue gickers. I think this is a great plan.
Czar of City Elves.