In game stat boost using CGP

Started by Dresan, August 01, 2012, 04:44:23 AM

August 01, 2012, 04:44:23 AM Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:12:37 AM by Dresan
I know its been somewhat suggested but hopefully this will tackle the idea in a new way.

Right now we have two stat rolls and regardless of what our desc/character says, we are stuck with those stats forever. In the past, through roleplay and begging, staff would give a stat boost. These days the staff don't do that anymore, we have a bit more control through prioritization and reroll but at the end those initial stats depending on our roll will stick with our characters forever. You could have a monster of a character with the below average strength... it is still just luck.

I propose that characters be able to raise their stats in game using their built up CGP. The level of the boost would be similar to a common non-magical way of boosting it in game now. You would only be able to raise the same stat three times and not beyond the racial limit. The first time a player raise a stat (any stat) it would cost two CGP, the second time it would cost three CGP, then four, etc,etc.

As an example lets take someone with five CGP points:

They use their five CGP points at creation, dropping them to zero. Any minimum amount of CGP they might have at creation is moot for this system. Two months later they once again have 2 CGP to play with though, and they boots up a stat. They play for another three months and generate another three points and they decide to boost up another stat. They play for another four months and decide to boot up yet another, again keeping in mind the two boost per single stat limit. They play for five months and once again decide to get a stat boost before suddenly dying. Well, they would go back to creation with 0 CGP (or the just minimum) .

So as we can see in order for a five karma character to get four stat boosts they would have to play for 14 RL months, and of course they would be paying for it with CGP that they could have used with another character. However by doing it this way with patience our stats would not be static, giving us more control about how we develop our character if we've earned it through good roleplaying.

Just wanted to add that while i know the CGP system doesn't even exists and we should wait until it comes out before adding to it...but its still fun to dream.

Quote from: Dresan on August 01, 2012, 04:44:23 AM
... at the end those initial stats depending on our roll will stick with our characters forever ...
The aging code actually changes your stats over time. I'm not against your idea, but I just thought I'd point that bit out.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I know its been somewhat suggested but hopefully this will tackle the idea in a new way.

In the past, through roleplay and begging, staff would give a stat boost. These days the staff don't do that anymore.

Really? I don't believe you.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on August 01, 2012, 06:26:45 AM
... at the end those initial stats depending on our roll will stick with our characters forever ...
The aging code actually changes your stats over time. I'm not against your idea, but I just thought I'd point that bit out.

True, but i think thats a somewhat  linear process based on the original stats you've rolled, I could be wrong. And to be fair i don't think the staff has ever had a problem with requests to lower a PC's stats as well but again  I could be wrong about that as well. :D

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 01, 2012, 06:29:40 AM

In the past, through roleplay and begging, staff would give a stat boost. These days the staff don't do that anymore.

Really? I don't believe you.

According to policy they don't unless its a playability issue. The request tool specifically states for me not to submit my work out logs.  :'(

We aren't doing this.  We've said as much before.

You're stuck with your stats, yes.  The stats that you can prioritize, reroll, and undo.  They even change (slowly) over time as you age. 

You'll be okay.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.