The barter system

Started by Chettaman, July 23, 2012, 09:57:48 PM

You have a fancy knife
>offer knife 100
"that sounds like a fair price."

- you notice another item you can buy for 100

offer knife basket
"No deal. That is not worth enough to me."

~ Conclusion: I think if we can haggle up the number to/ or above the price of another item we should be able to trade items instead of coins. Yeah? Or was that a terrible explanation.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Or you can just accept the offer and then buy the basket? I know, I know, it's not as fun, but... y'know.

Quote from: Delirium on July 23, 2012, 10:13:50 PM
Or you can just accept the offer and then buy the basket? I know, I know, it's not as fun, but... y'know.

Too bad the merchant doesn't have enough coins.

So that's how long it's been since I've played. :-[

Quote from: Delirium on July 23, 2012, 10:25:09 PM
So that's how long it's been since I've played. :-[
Eh ... no. This was certainly in place when last you played, deary.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yeah yeah yeah I meant that I'd forgotten you could actually do item-for-item trades.

Worst part is I used to do that all the time with a tribal character of mine.

D'oh.

But yes, being able to haggle on item-for-item trades would be radsauce.

I'd think that if you haggled them down to the price of what they'd pay for your item, you could then offer the item itself and make the trade.

This would be awesome.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I've played lots of merchants, and never messed with the item for item system more than a few times... it always makes me want to stab my eyes out.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I just do this:

buy item that is 100 sid

offer sword 100 X50 until he says sure

barter

At that point you have essentially just traded items - but I have often wished I could do as you said.

I've never used the offer X for Y, but yes, that would be awesome +1.
I ruin immershunz.

Why are you all still saying "would"/"could"?

Like I said, I think this feature is actually, currently, coded in the game right now this very moment!

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 24, 2012, 11:10:34 AM
Like I said, I think this feature is actually, currently, coded in the game right now this very moment!

It's but doesn't work well.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

The issue is, if you have a sword that initially offers at 50 coins, and you see a hammer that you really want, that is for sale for 55 coins, the merchant doesn't always make the trade.

And I think whats being asked for, is if you haggle the price of that hammer down to 30 coins then you should be able to offer that sword because its "worth more". As it stands, offering <item> for <item> doesn't take haggled costs into account. (And, frankly, I don't know how it could with the code)

Yeah, you can't use the bonus gained by the haggle skill to trade for items, so item trading is basically useless.

You have to trade an item worth about twice as much as the item you want (in a generous shop) in order to barter item for item without using cash as an intermediate step.  You also can't bundle items (5 10 'sid items for one 50 'sid item).  Another problem is that most shops buy and sell related item types, so you're almost always downgrading your inventory if you're item-bartering, because you're ending up with a less valuable item of the same type.

This would probably be a pretty easy fix, if a coder would take a look at it.  All it seems to involve is replacing the item's base value variable with the haggled-for value variable when it comes to the item vs. item value comparison.

Multiple-item haggling would be a great addition, but perhaps more complicated to code.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.