From ATS: GodNPCs

Started by BadSkeelz, July 22, 2012, 03:46:00 PM

Quote from: Hatchets
So, reading one of the other threads going got me to wondering if animated NPC's can be killed or if they gain some sort of immortality. I ask because in a previous game they did have immortality. Just kinda good to know ahead of time if attacking them is futile.

I've killed at least one staff animation myself (spam charged it, in fact. Not my proudest moment). I do believe they're as mortal as any of us. However, if the animated NPC is a Templar and you're some 2-hour-played snot-nosed newbie character, good luck taking advantage of that. Whether attacking them is futile or not is going to come down to in-game considerations, not because of any arbitrary immortality.

I'll chime in here and say. If you -are- killed due to an error where an animation is immortal, that is probably grounds for a rez. I know in the past when large scale animations were flubbed, there have been rezs because it was an unintentional error staff side.

Quote from: Jeshin on July 22, 2012, 03:49:40 PM
when large scale animations were flubbed, there have been rezs because it was an unintentional error staff side.

Correct.  I'm not sure about the question, though ...  Are they asking if staff animated NPCs can be killed?  If so, the answer is LoL, then, "Yes, by the dozens."  No, I'm kidding, it really does depend on the situation.  No, they are not explicitly "immortal."

I'm pretty sure that animated NPCs do not have some form of coded immunity, and can be killed, beaten and bruised as much as other NPCs or PCs could. The only difference is is that there is a staffer behind them. For example, I would not be surprised if during the gladiator event a braxat or a mantis or something would be animated, killable as the thing might be.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Staff animated NPC's have no 'coded benefit' by there being a Staff person behind them. When the NPC dies, the Staff avatar returns to their own body, and the NPC dies as usual.

As to what Jeshin says -- Depends on the error. Sometimes, shit happens, and your PC is in fact dead. Other times -- We do something silly and kill a bunch of people without meaning to. It's a case by case thing.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Anybody want some petoch fruit?
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

That wasn't an NPC. That was a staff avatar after forgetting to switch into said NPC.   My avatar will kill you EVERY TIME.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

It was funny. That's what it was.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Uh huh.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.