Arena Tournaments...

Started by Maso, July 20, 2012, 05:51:30 PM

This could probably be met with 'approach this IG'....but I'm really not in a position to do so...and I think it would be interesting (unless it's already happened before - I've been away a while) and with the games fast approaching...

I think it would be cool if the names, affiliations and a brief history of each of the gladiators was announced a wee while before the tournament (RL week or so maybe?). Would allow for gambling to take place...which there totally isn't enough of between PC's....imo....

That's all.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I.. I really, really like this idea, I do. When it's about slashing up convicted criminals, or routine practices, gladiators are faceless.. But for a one-in-a-century event, where the entire city is to watch, enjoy and revel in a grand spectacle of men against monsters, you're going to want to know who these lone souls against the onslaught of mul, braxat and more exotic, horrible creatures are.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Exactly. Parade them through the city streets even. Get people involved and excited etc.

(ehem. I've been reading Hunger Games...)

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Hunger games, nothing. This is classical stuff we're speaking, nothing less. Gladiator games are a city's most major sports events. Gladiators are every man and woman's hero. In any city, and this goes a thousand times in Zalanthas, people fight and slash each other up all day, every day, everywhere. Nobody pays money to see a guy stabbing another guy in the back, just as in the real world, you wouldn't pay to see two random people on the street have a scuffle. It's the exotic creatures, the sense of doom and helplesness of mere men fighting them(go look at Arm's animal docs, these things are -dangerous-) the awe of a professional warrior, the powerful gear, the spectacle, the sheer showmanship of it all.. -That- is why you have gladiators. -That- is why martial artists IRL make millions, whereas me fighting my brother wouldn't earn me a dime. If these gladiator roles are going to be shortlived, and they will be.. You might as well make them properly shortlived.

July 20, 2012, 07:36:26 PM #4 Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:37:59 PM by Shepard
Betting often does not happen often for two reasons:

1) Announcements are like "Here is guy A, and here is guy B - GO!" and the event starts before a bet can even come off.

OR

2) Like last event, it is matches like Tek's Personal Guard vs a shik bug... and no one cares to bet, or everyone bets on Tek's Guard and thus no payouts happen.

The first is a bit hard to deal with, as I have ran arena events before and you're worrying about so much more than betting - all eyes are on you, and you're waying the announcer who is in another room from you sending out the beasts into the arena. The place is a tad frustrating.

As for the second, well that depends on how you have the set up of the games. You either risk the bad guy winning the match (the one-handed elf thief against the well known gladiator), or you keep it as such where the good guy gladiator always wins (but kills betting).

Shrugs.

- I forgot to add that I completely agree with your original idea. Parade these people around, show off their feathers, let people have a chance to touch them, smell them, know them! C'mon Fale Lord - give us a parade!

Eh.. I wouldn't be so worried about time being an issue. The event has been postponed for two weeks and I doubt this had much to do with the gladiator roles being unavailable, which means that basically, people will have two whole weeks to prepare for their roles and the fights. The fights being uneven.. I just don't know, and there's no way of telling.

Display of gladiator PCs have certainly happened in the past.

I remember not so long ago where a bunch of gladiator PCs were being paraded through the Gaj for others to see.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

If you're supposed to know about them IC you either already do or you'll know before the event.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Nah, it wouldn't work like that...

I mean...Fales/Templarate whoever is organizing...Just parade the gladiators, announce who they are, a bit about them in some kind of public ceremony preceding the actual tournament by a IG few weeks. Let other people organize gambling, as a kind of side-activity that doesn't involve the nobles. It will make everyone more involved and on edge if they have money invested...

And the bets wouldn't need to be like...who's gonna win, the human gladiator or the mek... it could be stuff like...which gladiator will stand the longest, which, if any, will make it out alive, etc etc. It would be up to the players (who wanted to take up the opportunity) to sort out how they'd sell their odds, fund the paybacks (if they even can)...Just adds a new dimension to it.

You could have a couple of competing betting folk (I don't know what you call them). Maybe the Guild runs a smoothly operated and large scale thing with big bucks involved...and a couple of commoners get a few 'sids here and there if folk in the Gaj, Kadius has a little friendly in-house bet, a couple of friends bet each other that Amos will outlive Malik and vice versa, though friend A is only betting on Amos because she thinks he's super sexy...and they only bet 50 'sid.

It's just....creating opportunity really. Let the players figure out the ins and outs.

Were you guys not around for that last gladiator event?

Gladiators were being paraded and shown off in the city. Betting was very well done and even posted on the boards for all to see. The event itself was epic and amazing. They got this shit under control.  ;D

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 20, 2012, 08:07:25 PM
Were you guys not around for that last gladiator event?

Nope.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on July 20, 2012, 08:07:25 PM
Gladiators were being paraded and shown off in the city. Betting was very well done and even posted on the boards for all to see. The event itself was epic and amazing. They got this shit under control.  ;D

And if this is true, well, awesome! Guess this -will- be an amazing event, then.

Yeah.... we pretty much did all that ;)

Gladiator logs are posted on the gdb somewhere and you can still read those.  There was betting, it was player organized, here's to that happening again!  And personalities are a must have for potential gladiators.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Oo, I was not here...but in that case...awesomes! :)

Gladiators should just be a constant ability, automated, with gladiators going against either each other or against beasts.

And like the descriptions says in the Gaj, it should get live updates. :P

I know, I know, pipe dreams.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

It might be nice to have a gladiator as a throw away role, much like how people make throwaway grebbers. Maybe a 'short term' role app.

I don't think I've seen a gladiator event in arma that I didn't enjoy. Not talking just south, either. Note I haven't seen that many, though. I pretty much try to attend every chance I can.

They are simply fucking awesome. This is something arma does right. (edit: among many other things done right too.)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2