You have 1 active spell

Started by Fredd, July 18, 2012, 10:27:26 PM

Just a thought. But it would be kind of cool if when your pc logs out with an active spell effect, and then you wake up the next day, roll out of your bed, and log onto arm, the game tells you:

You have 1 active enchantment

Or something like it. After all, chances are your witch, or whatever would forget his skin is stone, or his eyes are glowy red, ect.

I know, you can hit stat, but it alot of people just don't think of it, and it does cause problems.

Just a random thought on a random, not to important problem.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Why not just have it as a prompt setting that tells you that you're currently affected by magick.

Make it easier?! Noooo. I like narc'ing on gickers in Luirs sitting at the bar who forget the fact their skin is covered in stone... <.<

A prompt would be cool though.
Czar of City Elves.

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 18, 2012, 10:38:49 PM
Why not just have it as a prompt setting that tells you thatwhat you're currently affected by magick.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 19, 2012, 10:12:43 AM
Why not just have it as a prompt setting that tells you thatwhat you're currently affected by magick.

That's not very IC, though. If someone just made the earth rise up around you or if winds just started to cover you.. Yeah, magic. But if your naive nobleman just got stabbed with a poison he would never have dreamt of? Ehh, rather keep that the way it is.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on July 19, 2012, 12:32:02 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on July 19, 2012, 10:12:43 AM

That's not very IC, though. If someone just made the earth rise up around you or if winds just started to cover you.. Yeah, magic. But if your naive nobleman just got stabbed with a poison he would never have dreamt of? Ehh, rather keep that the way it is.

That's not really what they're talking about.

And you can already more or less do this with a command already in game, and a couple that can already be added to the prompt... This seems more about being lazy.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I'd hazard a guess that most technological advancements in the history of mankind were brought about because someone was "just being lazy."

Laziness and poonanny*. 

*Only one of which is relevant, if you're reading this board.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Prompts are quite tiring to set up, when you MUD from multiple computers/operating systems, have your characters killed over and over again, plus they take up a lot of valuable room that hurts my immersions.

Would be nice to have an option that just pops up your language, whether you're armed, whether you're naked, active effects as soon as you log on. It could be turned off in case people don't like it. I don't think it'd be too hard to code either.

It's way better than going, "dude, your hands are on fire"
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

In prompt would be good. Prompts aren't that hard to set up...I just keep one in a text file and copy/paste it when I start a new character. :/
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on July 27, 2012, 08:03:10 PM
In prompt would be good. Prompts aren't that hard to set up...I just keep one in a text file and copy/paste it when I start a new character. :/

Google docs and any computer you go to it would already be there.  I like the prompt myself.  It helps me keep track of my character.  I don't see a problem with spell affects being in a prompt.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on July 31, 2012, 01:14:11 AM
Quote from: Maso on July 27, 2012, 08:03:10 PM

Google docs and any computer you go to it would already be there.  I like the prompt myself.  It helps me keep track of my character.  I don't see a problem with spell affects being in a prompt.

I wouldn't want it to list out what spells in prompt...just if you were affected by anything or not. You can check your stats to see what. But just having that little hint might stop you from walking up to a Templar to say hi with flames coming out of your nose or whatever.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

When I am playing a magicker I do something to approximate this with triggers.

I trigger "Welcome to Armageddon" to do a stat the have a color trigger in "You are effected by" to make it stand out.

Works well for me and takes like 30 seconds to setup.
Nothing to see here

Quote from: Jestor on July 31, 2012, 07:50:34 AM

I trigger "Welcome to Armageddon" to do a stat the have a color trigger in "You are effected by" to make it stand out.

Aren't you afraid of being hunted down by rabid ex-gladiator raider dwarves who use 'welcome to armageddon' as their automated sound byte before they jump you in the wastes?

... Because that keeps me up at night.

Why not have magicks wear off while players are offline just like alcohol does?

Quote from: Sephiroto on August 12, 2012, 03:15:53 PM

+10

If this happens though, I would like to see elementalist mana regenerate as well.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Jestor on July 31, 2012, 07:50:34 AM

Oh that's a good idea. I'm just gonna do that next time.

That'd be hellish.
Don't piss me off. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.

nosave magickwearingoffwhilei'mloggedout

That would be awful.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 12, 2012, 03:19:32 PM

+10

If this happens though, I would like to see elementalist mana regenerate as well.

I agree. I don't see having one without the other. Either keep it the way it is or have magicks wear off while offline and mana regen while offline.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

It probably depends what kind of magicker your playing. Swings and roundabouts!

As a city magicker (gemmed or sekret), you'd probably be way happier if you could log in and not have to wait for your uber erection of doom (thats a Rukkian offensive spell, fyi) to wear off if you decide you want to go chill in the Gaj with your homies. Waiting around can be such a drag. Especially when you've just logged in, you're kind of 'reset' from whatever your character was up to before you logged out.

If you're a rogue magicker and your quitsafe spot is at the edge of the known in some dark, dangerous corner of existence...then you probably want to log in suited, booted, flying, invisible and with your laser eyes. Because you just don't know what you might log in on top of.

Danger > Inconvenience

There's also mundanes who have had spells with a continuing effect cast on them for whatever reason. I once got one without meaning to and had a difficult time rping that out when I got into civilization---- fortunately no one seemed to be around to watch my royally confused ass rping. It would be really nice to have an option for pcs like that for their spells to wear off while logged out, something the player could toggle. That way you don't have to explain to people why you've got the same exact spell cast on you twice.

I'm only thinking of my own situation here; that of mundanes unwillingly or randomly getting spells cast on them who, if they are to die because they are accused of witchcraft, shouldn't get to that point because of a loophole in code.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Cind on August 13, 2012, 10:12:34 PM
There's also mundanes who have had spells with a continuing effect cast on them for whatever reason. I once got one without meaning to and had a difficult time rping that out when I got into civilization---- fortunately no one seemed to be around to watch my royally confused ass rping. It would be really nice to have an option for pcs like that for their spells to wear off while logged out, something the player could toggle. That way you don't have to explain to people why you've got the same exact spell cast on you twice.

I'm only thinking of my own situation here; that of mundanes unwillingly or randomly getting spells cast on them who, if they are to die because they are accused of witchcraft, shouldn't get to that point because of a loophole in code.

I think if a mundane had a spell unwillingly cast upon them by an evil rogue gicker or something...a bribe to certain authority figures could relieve the problem.

There are several things that might affect a PC.  Some of them may be things that aren't immediately evident as an actual "effect."  The way the code works for this, I think it'd have to tell you that you're affected by anything, not just magick.  Drilling down into that to only show magickal effects might be a bit too much work when you can just check your stat command or set up a trigger.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.