Hide <tent>

Started by Dresan, July 17, 2012, 12:26:45 AM

I'd like to propose that the wilderness hide skill allow the player to be able to conceal two specific things.

The first would be tents. Someone with the wilderness hide should be able to conceal their tent in the wilderness. They alone would be able to see the tent (so they would not know if it is properly hidden) which exception to PC with wilderness scan . The camouflage of the tent would determine how close someone with master wilderness scan would need to be before spotting a tent that been hidden with master hide. Prices would probably go up higher for terrain specific tents, ,maybe double what they are now. Best case scenario for the people in the tent is that the person with master scan would need to be in the same room. It wouldn't be any then that however to keep it from being perfectly safe from danger, but you would be able to stay there with another person like you can now.

Its been suggest before PC should be able to hide and rest at the same time. However, I think buying an expensive tent, carrying the rather heavy tent and setting it up should allow people to hide it achieve that in exchange for the burden and expense.

The second thing wilderness hide should allow a player to conceal are mounts. Now beetles and inixes would be a bit tough to conceal effectively due to their large size, but if we were conceal mounts with their size being a significant factor in effectiveness, suddenly sunlons and sunbacks begin looking a lot more attractive as potential mounts. Mounts with specific colors would become more popular and go up in price. People would have more choices  to make: an effective charge? a speedier sturdy mount? A smaller weaker mount that allowed you to conceal it? Or something in between?  Again someone with master scan would be able to notice it, the distance depending on the colors, skill of the person hiding it and size of the mount.

I think with the new extended sub-guild outdoorsman, it would be a cool feature to have that doesn't specifically over power rangers. It also promotes mundane scouting as opposed to having players more keen on rolling magickers just to explore small parts of the known world. Lastly this idea would make mount choice more important and more varied then it is today. 

I can see the merit in concealing tents. I don't know how realistic it is to hide a mount.

Anything that makes prolonged survival in the wilderness easier isn't really good for the game. It should be very difficult to live in the wild. Native fauna who live in an area and know it from birth will find anything that is out of place, even a hidden tent. Especially if it is inhabited by a humanoid, who are seen as either predator or prey.

Quote from: Yam on July 17, 2012, 12:33:24 AM
Anything that makes prolonged survival in the wilderness easier isn't really good for the game. It should be very difficult to live in the wild. Native fauna who live in an area and know it from birth will find anything that is out of place, even a hidden tent. Especially if it is inhabited by a humanoid, who are seen as either predator or prey.

I think it's a cool idea, but I'm going to have to agree with this.

I'm all for increasing options when living in the wild, but not for making it too much easier.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Ranger quit is really the only skill people need to live in the wilds, and even that is questionable if you know what you are doing. This wouldn't allow people to live in the wilds, but just be able to explore it a bit more interesting. In terms of safety: rest mount; hide would still be king with only some exception.  

Also, camo tents already had coded bonuses you just may not have noticed.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Tents already kind of hide. ... if you know what I mean... *wink
(Dang it, musashi. beat me to it)

off topic: the only skill you need to live in the wilderness is "forage food"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on July 23, 2012, 08:50:12 PM

off topic: the only skill you need to live in the wilderness is "forage food"

I dunno. I'm a total newb when it comes to wilderness living, but I can't think of any quit safe rooms that allow for mounts too, outside of towns/villages (not including the new ones right outside the gate). I'm sure they're there though, I'm just not willing to risk having to do an all nighter because I can't find somewhere to log out. S'not easy!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Chettaman on July 23, 2012, 08:50:12 PM

I'm aware of this but I'm also aware of the fact that people want to burn my tent down. You can't blame me for wanting a little more privacy. Particularly with mounts since they really do stick out like sore thumbs out there.

Quote from: Maso on July 23, 2012, 10:21:46 PM
I'm a total newb when it comes to wilderness living, but I can't think of any quit safe rooms that allow for mounts too, outside of towns/villages (not including the new ones right outside the gate).

From my own limited experience, I found that if there wasn't a quit-safe room where I could take my mount within 20-30 rooms, I was in somewhere deep.

Quote from: Kismetic on July 24, 2012, 12:27:08 AM
Quote from: Maso on July 23, 2012, 10:21:46 PM
I'm a total newb when it comes to wilderness living, but I can't think of any quit safe rooms that allow for mounts too, outside of towns/villages (not including the new ones right outside the gate).

From my own limited experience, I found that if there wasn't a quit-safe room where I could take my mount within 20-30 rooms, I was in somewhere deep.

There should be quit rooms 'in deep' too. Otherwise...how are you supposed to get in even deeper?!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Must... resist... dirty... pun...

Anyway, I suspect that the lack of quit-safe rooms in far-flung areas indicates the difficulty and danger of travel there.

July 24, 2012, 01:56:12 AM #12 Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:58:35 AM by musashi
I cannot think of a region in game where there was not a nearby quit room.

Wait. Yes I can. But seriously ... you got no business trying to live out there anyway  ;)

Quote from: musashi on July 24, 2012, 01:56:12 AM

Yeah, but some aren't big enough to fit your lizard.

Wait. Yes I can. But seriously ... you got no business trying to live out there anyway  ;)

You do if you're a ranger, master of the wilds and the fabled ranger quit  ;)

The places I'm thinking of ... not even a ranger should be trying to call home  :o

Yeah. rangers and gicks who can move around the world relatively quickly are the way to go for true explorers.
Without the ability to ranger quit or get to a quit room in an unusually quick period of time, it can take an ungodly amount of time.

I remember playing a Ruk that got lost well beyond the "Known" with more than a few aggros around. I think I logged over 20 hours in that session and had to call in sick for work (once while playing and the next day for SLEEP!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Kismetic on July 24, 2012, 02:12:07 AM

Yeah, but some aren't big enough to fit your lizard skimmer.

Fixed.