Body Language Sheet

Started by MeTekillot, July 09, 2012, 04:20:25 AM

It works for writers, it could also work for emoting.

Yes. Yes, please.

I was trying to dig up the body language book I read as a kid, but I found the businessballs page on body language instead, which is pretty amazing. It has sections just for eye movement, mouth movement, hand movement, etc., formatted up more nicely than I can paste here.

signal: crossed arms (folded arms)
part of body: arms
possibly meanings(s): defensiveness, reluctance
detailed explanation: Crossed arms represent a protective or separating barrier. This can be due to various causes, ranging from severe animosity or concern to mild boredom or being too tired to be interested and attentive. Crossed arms is a commonly exhibited signal by subordinates feeling threatened by bosses and figures of authority. N.B. People also cross arms when they are feeling cold, so be careful not to misread this signal.

The above two posts are great resources that can help with people who feel like they don't vary their emotes enough and such, which is sometimes a rut I feel stuck in.

Quote from: MeTekillot on July 09, 2012, 04:20:25 AM

It works for writers, it could also work for emoting.

Ha! My character pretty much does all of those things depending on mood. Which means I'm awesome.

Kidding..kind of. Great resource though!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yes, Very Good.  The beta stuff...I've acted out it all at the keyboard.  The Alpha postures...so that's how its done!

I do it too.

Me and Maso, we're amazing.

...<3 ;)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

:-*

(that's my new favourite gdb emoticon)

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

You mean to tell me there's more emotive things I could be doing, other than shrug my shoulders and raise my brow/brows? Blasphemy.

>nod
>smile RogueGunslinger

>em sighs

Quote from: Maso on July 10, 2012, 11:42:40 AM
>em sighs
You're doing it wrong.
>sigh

Coded emotes for the win.

>em sighs deeply

>em sighs lightly

Lovely. Hopefully this will help me make my PCs different from each other.

Quote from: spicemustflow on July 10, 2012, 04:28:32 PM
Lovely. Hopefully this will help me make my PCs different from each other.

Now I want to write a giant excited monologue about how different people express the same emotion and how part of it's based on personality type and part of it's on build, and how I knew two completely identical twins (and dated one) and you would never mistake them because one led with their mid-torso and kept their shoulders back, and one always slouched a little and led with their head, and were shockingly, incongruously different even with the same hair and clothing style. And I would suggest looking at really fantastic actors who disappear into their roles, like Gary Oldman or Tilda Swinton, and how they shift the muscles of their eyes and mouth differently depending on their character, and carry tension in different parts of their body, and how that translates into very different-looking action even if they're performing the same basic muscle mechanics.

Except that shit would just get embarrassing, so instead I'll say that I'm glad people are talking about body language.

looks for the like button
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Sometimes I use the Emma Watson side to help describe facial expressions.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Valeria's chart is better.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

I think Emma could show more expression in her angery face.. perhaps she has never truly been angry, or she should have one for -Enraged-. Like she might be if she read my criticizing thoughts on her expressions.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Some of those expressions (Emma), don't look anything like what they are supposed to represent. But I'm guessing that's early days, when she was really young.

According to this Kristen Stewart must be hell to play against in poker.