So that other thread doesn't get locked, Male and Female Equality

Started by Cerelum, June 30, 2012, 04:05:55 PM

I agree. It also seems that female PCs in positions of authority have more resistance than male counterparts. I don't really know how to address this on the GDB other than say that I, as a player, will try to police myself on this.

Quote from: Yam on June 30, 2012, 05:52:49 PM
Yeah no sorry the purpose of this thread is pretty transparent.
The purpose of this thread was eye opening and thought about an aspect of play.

If you think it's something more you're missing the point.

Quote from: Yam on June 30, 2012, 06:17:19 PM
What?
From reading your posts for years on here I know you're not that stupid.

So I'm going to ignore this attempt at trolling.  Good day.

I dunno,  there's a lot of things you're not allowed to play in Armageddon.  Why do people get hung up on this one in particular so often?

RL is one thing. I already exist in an environment where I have to deal with dummies sitting on the couch hypothesizing to their Congress Rep that "women should be allowed into combat ops" despite their only vague idea of female success in my field is "Well, momma said women had equal rights, so...." Women are going through 'testing' right now in the armed forces to see if they can deal with the rigors of infantry work, and I have to tell you from my experience with females--it's not looking good. Great, females get an opportunity to be treated fairly... but will they perform at the level required to meet the mission? Who knows. Hell, women are still given a "handicap" for their fitness tests. Women can run 3 minutes slower on their 3 mile and not do a single pull up yet still score the same as a male. Then there's all of those psychological issues we'd have to deal with, not only amongst the females... but especially amongst the males now that they were fighting alongside females. It's going to be a long process (if done right) and carefully implemented (if ever.)

That's all well and good for the real world, but this game is designed without limitations based on sex. This is for playability. It's a fantasy game. There's a lot of great female players that play to the documentation a lot better than males. And frankly: This game is about playing to documentation, not about bringing in your own contrived ideas about the culture.

I can't tell you how many times I've become frustrated at another player because they, instead of referencing documentation as their primary source for personality/action, decided to pick up something they thought would be cool/funny out of a RL stereotype. I think everybody is guilty of that, including myself, to some regard.

Sexism does not belong in this game. Don't try to put it in here.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Cerelum on June 30, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
What?

So I'm going to ignore this attempt at trolling.  Good day.

No I just didn't parse the sentences you wrote because they are grammatically faulty and barely make sense. Going by your OP, I think this thread is about you lamenting your inability to play a misogynist and a gripe about political correctness in general. You try to suggest that the ridicule of an Armageddon character thinking women are weaker than men is stifling to your roleplay. That's it.

So far you have only talked about being unable to say that women are weaker than men or play a misogynist. There is nothing eye opening here. I don't know what your thought about aspect of play is, other than wanting to play a misogynistic character against the documentation.

If there is any other point to this thread, you haven't made it.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 30, 2012, 06:19:08 PM
I dunno,  there's a lot of things you're not allowed to play in Armageddon.  Why do people get hung up on this one in particular so often?

Part of it seems to be, like IsFriday said in an earlier post, socially women are equals, but some inequality still lies under the surface and in our subconscious, so that we sometimes act sexist and don't know it; it has been proven repeatedly, for just one example, that women are interrupted while talking with much greater frequency than men; and some of that inevitably leaks into the game; and occasionally someone notices a difference in the treatment of a male versus a female pc that was, in all likelihood, never intended.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Yam on June 30, 2012, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Cerelum on June 30, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
What?

So I'm going to ignore this attempt at trolling.  Good day.

No I just didn't parse the sentences you wrote because they are grammatically faulty and barely make sense. Going by your OP, I think this thread is about you lamenting your inability to play a misogynist and a gripe about political correctness in general. You try to suggest that the ridicule of an Armageddon character thinking women are weaker than men is stifling to your roleplay. That's it.

So far you have only talked about being unable to say that women are weaker than men or play a misogynist. There is nothing eye opening here. I don't know what your thought about aspect of play is, other than wanting to play a misogynistic character against the documentation.

If there is any other point to this thread, you haven't made it.
You must have missed the point when I said I never played a sexist in the game.

Quote from: Yam on June 30, 2012, 06:31:44 PM
Do you want to?
Not particularly and not as a real character, but say I'm just creating a throw away, I would like to play up the concept till he was murdered.

Quote from: Cind on June 30, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 30, 2012, 06:19:08 PM

Part of it seems to be, like IsFriday said in an earlier post, socially women are equals, but some inequality still lies under the surface and in our subconscious, so that we sometimes act sexist and don't know it; it has been proven repeatedly, for just one example, that women are interrupted while talking with much greater frequency than men; and some of that inevitably leaks into the game; and occasionally someone notices a difference in the treatment of a male versus a female pc that was, in all likelihood, never intended.

Well, that was really a rhetorical question.   My point is that it's silly for people to get upset that they can't play a misogynist, but not that they can't play a cyborg or a dinosaur.

Cyborgs and dinosaurs would be way more fun, IMO.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 30, 2012, 06:35:17 PM
Well, that was really a rhetorical question.   My point is that it's silly for people to get upset that they can't play a misogynist, but not that they can't play a cyborg or a dinosaur.

Cyborgs and dinosaurs would be way more fun, IMO.
Now I'm upset I can't play a dinosaur or a cyborg.  :'(

Quote from: Cerelum on June 30, 2012, 06:34:20 PM
Do you want to?
Not particularly and not as a real character, but say I'm just creating a throw away, I would like to play up the concept till he was murdered.
So you just want to troll people IG with some misogyny and then roll out? Great contribution to the game.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Not to mention to being unable to play a sexist cyborg. Feckin' tyranny is what it is.

Quote from: Is Friday
I feel like men cannot be trivialized IG for being sought after

I PKed someone because he was sexy and sought after. Haven't done it to a woman yet, though. Am I sexist?  :-\

Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 30, 2012, 06:39:11 PM
I PKed someone because he was sexy and sought after. Haven't done it to a woman yet, though. Am I sexist?  :-\
No. That seems like equal opportunity to me.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 30, 2012, 06:38:03 PM
Do you want to?
So you just want to troll people IG with some misogyny and then roll out? Great contribution to the game.
Oh please.  You never made a character with no real direction in the game?  I recently made a merchant in allanak who didn't use his merchant skills once but preached about the Highlord all the time, telling people they were sinners and all that shit.

I had no intention of him living long, he was just for flavor.  THAT'S what I'm talking about with throw aways.

So your "flavor" to enrich the game world is "flavor" not found in the documentation?

Why don't you submit an application for a Thunder Cat instead?

Do you want to?

Playing a throw-away concept like that, or any other that goes against documentation, cheapens and damages the game. It's the same as playing an elf that rides mounts, a dwarf with no focus, or a human with no prejudices. It's actually worse, as the no sexism thing is part of the universal documentation of the game. If you want to play something like that, go play somewhere else without the documentation.

QuoteAvoid imposing your own interpretations and norms on the game world. For example, there is no sexism on Zalanthas; women and men are treated equally. This means that the following would not happen in Armageddon: a man expressing shame at being beaten sparring by a woman; someone referring to women as needing protection or coddling; a woman being shamed for sexual promiscuity while a man is praised for it. Attitudes towards sexuality are broad. Homosexuality is common, and not seen as aberrant. Multiple sex partners are common among Zalanthans, particularly in the upper classes. If you intend to roleplay out adult scenes, please make sure you are aware of our consent rules.

Fuckin' don't do it.

You'll know there's gender equality in Zalanthas when you see a bunch of men women gathered around the bar swooning over some scantily clad silken haired gal dude that's just sitting there trying to enjoy her his drink in peace.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on June 30, 2012, 06:45:11 PM
You'll know there's gender equality in Zalanthas when you see a bunch of men women gathered around the bar swooning over some scantily clad silken haired gal dude that's just sitting there trying to enjoy her his drink in peace.

Been there.

I'd be happier if an equal amount of women characters were aggressive muscle bound retards and an equal amount of male characters were merchants/aides/frilly. But it never seems to exactly work out that way.

If you go around asking women broads to go make you a sandwich flatbread wrap, you will be looked upon as insane at best, and needing killin' at worst. Is it against the rules specifically? I don't think so, but it does go against the general spirit of the game.

There are far better ways to add to the game than play the one person that hates all women/men in a world where sexism as we know it IRL does not and should not exist. Especially considering all the other biases that do exist and are supported heavily in the documentation. If you're looking to play a controversial or divisive character, pick one of the many likes or hatreds that are actually in the docs and push that to its limit. They don't get nearly as much loving as they should.

As Yam pointed out in his quote of the rules above, it is technically against the rules. Sexism is not allowed on ArmageddonMUD. Using someone's gender as a means to stereotype or for prejudice goes against this.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Yam's quote is actually from the Quickstart, not the Rules - which I think is a part of the confusion here. It is pretty clear, though, that sexism as described in the quickstart simply would not exist.

Edit to add: However, the rules state "If you choose not to roleplay, or play your character outside the bounds of roleplay" then you could be punished. I think that playing a sexist PC would be outside the bounds of roleplay since it was established that sexism is non-existent.