Town Criers

Started by Creslin, June 25, 2012, 11:53:18 AM

Fuck all that. I want the town crier. I love flavor things like this. I've always appreciated the staff who implemented the room echoes project.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Synthesis on June 28, 2012, 12:18:35 AM
However, as far as a wandering, shouting, nuisance NPC is concerned:  hell to the fuck no.  I guarantee you I will be sapping that NPC and tossing its lame ass down the well every dark night from here until the MUD shuts down.

You could always make the NPC remain in a single room in the center of the Bazaar and never move and then players would have to go to THEM to hear the news. *shrug*

Or arrive in the plaza at dawn to proclaim. The newsreader in HBO's Rome was one of my favourite characters.

It might also serve to bring people from all corners of the city together for a short while if they all happen to be there to listen, or there's some interesting news on the go.

Also, this:
Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 29, 2012, 03:53:58 AM
You'd probably have to have tiered pricing: it would need to be moderately expensive for most commoners to prevent it from being overused and important messages from being flooded out by useless crap. But you'd want to encourage PC leaders to use it, so clan leaders would get a discount, nobles and great merchant family members a greater discount, and templars would be able to set messages for free. Elves, obvious breeds and people speaking in a non-local accent would be barred completely (and thus would have to bribe someone eligible to set the message for them if they really wanted to do it).

Yeah, I really like this idea. NPC would be totally ignorable if in one place. Central intersections tend to be passed right over by the majority of PCs anyway. It'd make for a new IC "hang out spot." It's a... harmless addition to the game.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I want it to wander around. Just not hang out in the room directly outside of the taverns. I miss the Kadian hawker actually too.