Town Criers

Started by Creslin, June 25, 2012, 11:53:18 AM

June 25, 2012, 11:53:18 AM Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:10:56 PM by Creslin
I had an idea for Town Criers that could be added to various cities. It would work something like this, I'll use Allanak in my example.

• Town Crier NPC added to Allanak.
  • Add a command to pay the Town Crier to spread a message.
  • Pay X coins for the Town Crier to 'shout' your message for Y days. (1 IG week?)
  • Town Crier walks from West Gate, down Caravan Road, through Bazaar, along Merchant's road and down to East Gate.
  • Town Crier stops in each room, randomly selects 2 or 3 paid messages and shouts each one.
  • Have a delay of maybe 15 to 30 seconds between each shout. Once the 2 or 3 messages have been shouted it moves on to the next room.
  • Keep track of which messages have been shouted, only randomly select ones that have not been shouted yet.
  • Once every paid message has been shouted, reset the list and start all over, shouting messages randomly again from the full list.

Would be a great tool to spread information about Clans recruiting, Jobs opening up or people looking for work, people trading specific items or looking for items and all that cool stuff.

I understand we can use the rumor boards for this kind of stuff but this would be so cool and due to a paid message only lasting up to 1 IG week or so it would always have info that is extremely current and up to date with the going-ons of Zalanthas.

This is totally cool. I'd like this a lot.

If done correctly this could be a nice addition.

I like it too, except in cities where a city representative such as a town crier is employed by the state, what they would be spreading is probably political agenda. " No way are there more bodies than normal citizen!" type shit.

I'd love a gossip whore though, instead of the boards in the taverns. You pay, they walk to every tavern all day long and spread your shit around for say, two weeks real time.  
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

You should pay PCs to do this.

You pay a scraggly, cotton-clad town crier 15 coins.

Beating on a leather drum, a scraggly, cotton-clad town crier shouts "LURD TEMPLAR HARDNOSE IS A BIG BUMHEAD, LOL"

A scraggly, cotton-clad town crier walks east.
You hear a man's voice shout from the east, "LURD TEMPLAR HARDNOSE IS A BIG BUMHEAD, LOL"

Quote from: jstorrie on June 25, 2012, 01:22:13 PM
You pay a scraggly, cotton-clad town crier 15 coins.

Beating on a leather drum, a scraggly, cotton-clad town crier shouts "LURD TEMPLAR HARDNOSE IS A BIG BUMHEAD, LOL"

A scraggly, cotton-clad town crier walks east.
You hear a man's voice shout from the east, "LURD TEMPLAR HARDNOSE IS A BIG BUMHEAD, LOL"

And that is why you need to "sign" with your name, so Lord Templar Hardnose can beat it out of the crier.

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on June 25, 2012, 01:31:50 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 25, 2012, 01:19:18 PM
You should pay PCs to do this.

Sure, thanks for the coin. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

*walks around shouting a bit until bored*

change ldesc is walking around here shouting out the news.

*idles*

I think our playerbase deserves more credit than that.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 25, 2012, 02:07:49 PM

My point is it's a niche thing. You aren't going to find many players that are going to want to actually do that consistently and enjoy it. That's why the npc idea is much better, imo.

I dig this.   I think all of the gossip will cause more interactions between the players and maybe more plots around the gossip.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 25, 2012, 02:09:03 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 25, 2012, 02:07:49 PM

My point is it's a niche thing. You aren't going to find many players that are going to want to actually do that consistently and enjoy it. That's why the npc idea is much better, imo.

Agreed, which is why I suggested an NPC to do this. I just don't believe many people would do this -- and even if someone decided they want to work as a crier there are many factors. How frequently do they play? What are their play times? How long do they realistically plan to devote to running around shouting news? The window in which someone would actually run around doing this is so small and limited to specific play times which means only specific players who log in during those play times are informed. Something like this is much better suited to NPC criers.

Also, I forgot to say that the information will be more up to date.
Fredd-

It's a neat idea, but think we should definitively figure out what is considered to be appropriate for a board (what would be appropriate as a rumor vNPCs would spread without being too anonymously biased against other PCs, not correct talk for the area, or simply unimportant) before moving forward with it. That way, those rules could cross-apply to an idea like this.

Also, I don't see just anyone having the influence to hire a crier to spread their message. I don't see why a crier would help a breed spread word of the "gently, but lovingly used mounts" he has for sale for the same price that a crier would help a templar trying to recruit for an army. In fact, I don't see why the crier would help the breed at all, or even anyone without some sort of major backing, or fame (independents).

Of course, at the same time, it would be a good way for indies to spend the money they tend to accrue and encourage more plot-starting.

June 25, 2012, 02:44:18 PM #15 Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:46:18 PM by A Large Bag
Quote from: Cutthroat on June 25, 2012, 02:36:35 PM
I don't see why a crier would help a breed spread word of the "gently, but lovingly used mounts" he has for sale for the same price that a crier would help a templar trying to recruit for an army. In fact, I don't see why the crier would help the breed at all, or even anyone without some sort of major backing, or fame (independents).

To make 'sids? Isn't that his whole reason for doing it at all? They're an indy crier. The ones you are talking about would probably be part of the organization, paid by the organization to spread whatever information they want spread. What the OP is suggesting is one that does it for the money, for whoever will pay them the money. Kinda like a mercenary except with words. Actually, I would think they would spread the word of a templar for free though. Because if they didn't they could likely end up in the dungeons. I think it could be set up this way too.

I think I am going to jump on the pay a PC to do this wagon.

I remember some of the cooler interactions in terms of just everyday life was when an Aide to a Noble had a little errand boy/girl run off and get things for them for some spare amount of coin.  I think it really shows the hierarchy of the world and does quite the good job at it.

I don't see why you couldn't offer a player to do this sort of thing.  I understand the NPC would be more vigilant in their coded shouting, but the interaction and development of paying the PC is just too much to overlook in favor of an NPC coded function.  What if the PC says it wrong? The NPC won't do that.  What if the PC just decides to say screw it and take the coin.  The NPC won't do that.  What if the player does such a good job your message gets out to everyone and suddenly they get more work and coin for shouting and spreading other messages and then the first pony(kank) express(shouting division) of Zalanthas is formed as hundreds of hungry, desperate shouters flock to the taverns to show off their thunderous voices for all to be heard and be chosen for the next crier job...

You see where I am going with all this, right?  The NPC might get your message out there and cause interaction based on your message but there are so many steps in between and interactions being missed out from using an NPC.  If the idea is interaction why not... interact to get your message out?

There's a reason we don't see much of it now. Because a majority of players, don't want to be the one going around shouting out the messages. There's plenty of people willing to pay. Those that are willing to do this, end up storing or doing something else less tedious and more enjoyable. The characters that would do this are "niche" characters. They're not something 99.9% of the playerbase would play consistently for any length of time. Like fortune tellers or career dungsweepers, etc. There aren't many pcs that are willing to do this and when there are, they aren't there very long. Unless there are npcs, that are would be there consistently, at all playtimes of the day, you won't see much of this and when you do, it will disappear after a short amount of time.

Relying on pcs, is a nice idea, in a perfect world. Which we do not have.

Maybe make it so only higher rank persons of approved clans can pay this town crier to spread their news. That way, when you hear something fishy, you'll know its real shit being spread instead of someone's joke.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

This is a great idea! I also believe a new town crier npc was added to a certain city so..

Quote from: Cind on June 25, 2012, 06:09:12 PM
Maybe make it so only higher rank persons of approved clans can pay this town crier to spread their news. That way, when you hear something fishy, you'll know its real shit being spread instead of someone's joke.

I dig that so there won't be any abuse.
Fredd-

I want to be the Town Crier paid by two opposing nobles to shout insults about the other one. It'd be fun, if short-lived.

Love the Idea, anyone found giving unbelieveable messages would simply have to be banned from using it. Simply because the Crier isn't going to be stupid enough to insult different nobles in a town he can get killed for it.
Life sucks, then you die.

Yeah, there should a limit on who should do it or a warning for the first time and the ban the next time,
Fredd-

I don't see any reason to limit it. It'd be no more open to abuse than the rumor boards and people seem to be able to handle those just fine. Just like anything else though, if there was something set up on the crier that shouldn't be, staff can probably remove it and deal with the person who did it.

True.
Fredd-

I don't have much input on the subject, but I wanted to show my support by saying I quite like this idea as well :)

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 25, 2012, 06:54:19 PM
I don't see any reason to limit it. It'd be no more open to abuse than the rumor boards and people seem to be able to handle those just fine. Just like anything else though, if there was something set up on the crier that shouldn't be, staff can probably remove it and deal with the person who did it.

Agree 100%. If something like this would be added you can't limit it to high ranking clan members and whatnot. This is something that would be incredibly useful for independents too but if we limit it they are screwed.

It is like anything else - the rumor board, say/tell/talk/shout/psi, if people abuse it or make OOC messages they will be caught and they will be punished.

What about IC messages that border on illegal or could cause serious problems or feuds because they are lies? Simple. Let the Town Crier keep track of identities of people who pay for messages and let templars and militia members speak with the Town Crier and see the SDESC and Name of a person who paid for a message.

Let the staff handle OOC abuse. Let the law handle questionable IC usage.

Quote from: Creslin on June 25, 2012, 08:10:37 PM

What about IC messages that border on illegal or could cause serious problems or feuds because they are lies? Simple. Let the Town Crier keep track of identities of people who pay for messages and let templars and militia members speak with the Town Crier and see the SDESC and Name of a person who paid for a message.

I dig that idea on keeping track, but wouldn't you need extra code in order to get that info?
Fredd-

I really love this idea. Really, really love it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Eh...so...it's a rumor board that I can't ignore?  No, thanks.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 26, 2012, 10:53:48 AM
Eh...so...it's a rumor board that I can't ignore?  No, thanks.

More like a roaming Twitter.

I think this actually came up a long time ago, on the old boards. I don't remember why it was shot down.

I would love to see this added. Nifty idea.
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

It was shot down because of the belief that it would be abused.

How could this possibly be abused more than the rumor boards we already have?  That's a stupid argument.

I personally just think it would be annoying to have a goddamn NPC running around shouting stupid shit that I don't care about.

I can imagine a high number of dumbass things that a crier can be used for....
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I can imagine a high number of dumbass things any number of other things can be used for, but aren't.

Because, you know. Being banned from the game you play sucks. And if someone wants to grief they can always find a way.

Rumor boards are already probably abused more than a town crier would be. With a town crier, at least, if you never made it to the Sanctuary and spent all of your time in the tribal market, you wouldn't hear two noble aides whispering about lady Fee Fee being hit by a filthy poopball.

This would be great. Like the towncrier in HBO's Rome.
Wealthy merchants could shout out sales. Nobles use it to gain influence with locals. Events and festivities could be known by most people. Although they shouldn't roam all around the city. Only in select areas like the Bazaar or a major road, to keep out the spammy shouts. Or make it so they'd be seen normal there, but every few loops, head outside that area to places like the Gaj/Sanctuary.

As for abuse, it's would be rare, I'd think. The staff has already set up a system to keep those kind of people out of the MUD before they even enter the game. I think people here are serious about the game.
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

Just got round to reading this idea.

Love it! Would be ace. The messages would have to be short and snappy, "Kadius hiring! Speak to Amos!".

Would be so cool. For some reason I can only imagine it in Luirs, Tuluk and Allanak though. I can't see it fitting in Red Storm.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I can't imagine the Red Storm climate being conducive to a job that requires you to stand on the street with your mouth open all day.

I'd be amenable to the idea of a wandering OOC board that was coded to look like a "town crier" or whatever, that you'd have to actively look at and read in order to get the information you presumably are interested in.

However, as far as a wandering, shouting, nuisance NPC is concerned:  hell to the fuck no.  I guarantee you I will be sapping that NPC and tossing its lame ass down the well every dark night from here until the MUD shuts down.

They wouldn't be out at night.  ::)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I like the idea as long as the town crier doesn't hang out near taverns.

As a side note, pretty much every time Synthesis posts, I get a mental image of a crotchety old man waving around a cane, except the cane has a sword hidden inside.

They already have this, it has something to do with X's fist.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Reiteration on June 28, 2012, 04:58:23 AM

That guy doesn't wander by the Gaj and start shouting about it.  Back before the flood in Tuluk, there was a Kadian hawker NPC that would wander around and shout about things, but he apparently got what was coming to him.

I find it amusing how much Synthesis hates this idea. This whole thread is amusing. I think this crier should be added for laughs. Maybe once the mob is murdered a certain number of times that NPC should disappear completely as a consequence.

House Oash has hired a slew of town criers, some of whom might be seen wandering the streets. Rumors abound whether these criers will survive longer than a month. Grebbers and, in particular, a very seedy, crotchety-looking assassin are making bets on how long the unfortunate victi-- that is, criers, will last.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

You'd probably have to have tiered pricing: it would need to be moderately expensive for most commoners to prevent it from being overused and important messages from being flooded out by useless crap. But you'd want to encourage PC leaders to use it, so clan leaders would get a discount, nobles and great merchant family members a greater discount, and templars would be able to set messages for free. Elves, obvious breeds and people speaking in a non-local accent would be barred completely (and thus would have to bribe someone eligible to set the message for them if they really wanted to do it).

Quote from: Synthesis on June 28, 2012, 01:49:50 PM
Quote from: Reiteration on June 28, 2012, 04:58:23 AM

That guy doesn't wander by the Gaj and start shouting about it.  Back before the flood in Tuluk, there was a Kadian hawker NPC that would wander around and shout about things, but he apparently got what was coming to him.

Hahah I remember that guy.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 29, 2012, 03:53:58 AM
You'd probably have to have tiered pricing: it would need to be moderately expensive for most commoners to prevent it from being overused and important messages from being flooded out by useless crap. But you'd want to encourage PC leaders to use it, so clan leaders would get a discount, nobles and great merchant family members a greater discount, and templars would be able to set messages for free. Elves, obvious breeds and people speaking in a non-local accent would be barred completely (and thus would have to bribe someone eligible to set the message for them if they really wanted to do it).

lol straw purchasers for town crier messages

The Allanaki Templarate begin Operation Loud and Obnoxious.

Fuck all that. I want the town crier. I love flavor things like this. I've always appreciated the staff who implemented the room echoes project.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 28, 2012, 12:18:35 AM
However, as far as a wandering, shouting, nuisance NPC is concerned:  hell to the fuck no.  I guarantee you I will be sapping that NPC and tossing its lame ass down the well every dark night from here until the MUD shuts down.

You could always make the NPC remain in a single room in the center of the Bazaar and never move and then players would have to go to THEM to hear the news. *shrug*

Or arrive in the plaza at dawn to proclaim. The newsreader in HBO's Rome was one of my favourite characters.

It might also serve to bring people from all corners of the city together for a short while if they all happen to be there to listen, or there's some interesting news on the go.

Also, this:
Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 29, 2012, 03:53:58 AM

Yeah, I really like this idea. NPC would be totally ignorable if in one place. Central intersections tend to be passed right over by the majority of PCs anyway. It'd make for a new IC "hang out spot." It's a... harmless addition to the game.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I want it to wander around. Just not hang out in the room directly outside of the taverns. I miss the Kadian hawker actually too.