Overlapping Interests and the Factions That Have Them.

Started by Karieith, June 18, 2012, 02:16:22 PM

Before I begin this post I want to express how impressed I am with how thoroughly thought out all the factions and their functions and interactions in this world are.

I've noticed there's a few factions that have overlapping interests. Though the documentation on one or both of these vying factions both establish a level of good rapport within and between those factions. It's left intentionally vague, probably so players involved can have their own definition and as a Find Out IC kind of thing but I'm just very curious about worldbuilding. I was wondering if these relationships developed from players, or if they were established from the onset, and how they came about from a conceptual point.

Here's some examples:
Quote from: Tuluki Nobility: KassigarhLink.
Kassigarh is responsible for the finance and foreign relations of the city...they maintain all the accounting for the Gol Krathu region and have established strong relationships with all three of the major Merchant Houses. House Kassigarh acts as financiers for Tuluk...

Quote from: The Great Merchant Houses: NenyukLink.
Pursuing mastery over the finances of Zalanthas, they are the only entity known since the Empire of Man to maintain banking institutions throughout Zalanthas. With the exception of that of the scattered desert tribes of the wilds, there is little wealth in Zalanthas that has not passed through the hands of the savvy Nenyuki.

Kassigarh's docs say they play nice with others which means even though Kassigarh and Nenyuk have a vying interest, they aren't at each others throats. I'm curious how they have it organized to the point they're both happy and how it all came about but a lot of that is very Find Out IC.

Quote from: Tuluki Nobility: UaptalLink.
...has only begun re-establishing its control over the raw materials and resources of the North. They still hold a good deal of land and natural resources...their true interest lies in control of raw materials...they use their significant contacts within the bardic community of Tuluk to further their plans and keep watch on the city.

Quote from: Bards of the Poet's Circle: Circle GrootLink.
...It also deals in raw materials, frequently supplying the other Circles with wood, tortoiseshell, and precious stones.

Again, Uaptal's docs say they have contacts in the Bardic Circle which keeps this conflict of interests from becoming a big political headache, again I have the same curiosities about how it's organized, etc.

In general, like I said, I'm really impressed and would just love to hear about this from the world-building/lore aspect.

Hm.

As I see it, these 'factions' or groups of people, especially in the North, would probably work together. No one wants to be on the bad side of a noble house and, for the most part, as lore stands up North, it is a far more 'chummy' and 'friendly' association than in the south. Due to in game history, a lot of nobles see commoners as people to be friends with, or well, as much as a noble would call a commoner a 'friend', I do suppose. I would imagine relations, for the most part, would be friendly, though I don't think what I've posted is exactly what you're looking for!

Also, as a 'newbie' I don't know much about Nenyuk because the clan's been closed for as long as I've played! :)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

That blurb about Kassigarh is actually a slight against Nenyuk.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Nenyuk used to have to rent apartments manually.  I was also hired as a personal guard for one. I believe they used to even have a wagon. I used to have one of their agents in my pocket and had a unnatural control over normal housing.  Was kinda cool but with automated housing I think that killed it.

Nenyuk and Kassigarh have conflicting interests, and both would probably be viable partners if something were to be financed in Tuluk. One of Nenyuk's advantages is the public banking monopoly. Surely both Houses would try to gain the upper hand against eachother, but it's most likely in the interest of the powers-that-be to not let one or the other become too strong (in comparison to the other House) in Tuluk. Admittedly, it'd be hard to find out details IC because Nenyuk doesn't have PCs... but Kassigarh will, soon.

Uaptal is a Surif House with strong ties to the bardic Circles, which means that Groot can't really be a large scale competitor to them. IMO, Groot mostly supplies their own Circle and the other Circles with rare materials. Uaptal works on a higher level and a larger scale. And as the quoted docs from the original post indicates, I don't think their interest in raw materials conflict with eachother very often. Probably quite the opposite.

I believe that the documentation was written this way, as opposed to something developing through in game means. There haven't been that many Uaptal, Kassigarh or Nenyuk PCs with that kind of influence since the end of the Allanaki Occupation of Tuluk.

Get ready for mass amounts of sid to rain into those silken pockets, Kassigrah is gonna take that city by storm. It's cool their opening up a different House like this, should be fun for whomever gets this.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Yeah, it's the Kassigarh opening that got me researching, I'm not gonna lie. And reading all these really well thought out world-building docs is making me excited for the game again.

Too bad the game isn't as excited for me.  :P

Edit: I seriously get lady boners for lore and world-building.

I wish I knew something about Tuluk so I could app for it.  :-\
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on June 18, 2012, 05:15:04 PM

More than what's written in the docs?  If so, same here, but still I apped for it.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on June 18, 2012, 05:17:06 PM

More than what's written in the docs?  If so, same here, but still I apped for it.

In my experience,  you don't have to know stuff that isn't in the public docs. It helps being accustomed to Tuluki style play though.

Quote from: palomar on June 18, 2012, 05:29:10 PM
Quote from: Barsook on June 18, 2012, 05:17:06 PM

In my experience,  you don't have to know stuff that isn't in the public docs. It helps being accustomed to Tuluki style play though.

Yeah, I figured.  I started to play many PC's that lived and worked in Tuluk so I can gain some for information in order to know what's is going on a bit more than someone who hasn't.
Fredd-

Great place to play. I suggest rolling and apping and discovering it.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

Quote from: janeshephard on June 18, 2012, 08:05:39 PM

Great place to play. I suggest rolling and apping and discovering it.

I have, that was like my last three to five PC's.
Fredd-

Well, where Kassigarh is concerned, we're also talking about a Tuluki noble house.

So any conflict they have with Nenyuk is going to be quiet, not known to the public, and will likely involve a ton of assassins. From both sides.

Quote from: jstorrie on June 18, 2012, 09:55:01 PM
Well, where Kassigarh is concerned, we're also talking about a Tuluki noble house.

So any conflict they have with Nenyuk is going to be quiet, not known to the public, and will likely involve a ton of assassins. From both sides.

May the best house win.

Gooooooooooooo Nenyuk!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

God i wish we could rent houses :(
I would totally suck it up and app to play a real estate agent errr..I mean Nenyuk fam member if meant renting house again
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: Karieith on June 18, 2012, 02:16:22 PM
Quote from: Tuluki Nobility: KassigarhLink.
Kassigarh is responsible for the finance and foreign relations of the city...they maintain all the accounting for the Gol Krathu region and have established strong relationships with all three of the major Merchant Houses. House Kassigarh acts as financiers for Tuluk...

So Tuluki.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

While I love all the Northern Noble Houses I have always had a partiality for House Kassigarh.

The work that went into this House's documentation and the vetting of their background information was incredible. 

Of course, I should say that for all the Northern Houses but something about Kassigarh spoke to me.

I encourage anyone who loves Armageddon type economics and loves trying to 'figure out how it all works together' in Tuluk to try for a Kassigarh role.

Heck, I'm tempted to app but I simply don't play enough anymore to warrant that.  I'm glad to see a role opening up for them.

As to the subject matter of this post:  The overlapping of interests was definitely done on purpose because that's how worlds work.  There is a matrix of influence and involvement.  When Tuluk was being fleshed out on the documentational side there was a concerted effort to replicate the real world and what was -actually- going on in the North.  There was a lot of effort put into making things 'work' behind the scenes and that included these overlaps.

But, this isn't specific to Tuluk, if you look at the noble houses of Allanak you'll see a lot of overlap amongst the Houses there as well.  I think it just makes for a more interesting environment.  Competition is good.  Deadly competition is even better.

Quote from: marko on June 23, 2012, 11:25:05 AMCompetition is good.  Deadly competition is even better.

This makes me wanna meow and hiss and scratch. (and add a new signature)
* ShaLeah deftly thievers marko's quote!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

And add that before it and after the last quote.
Fredd-