Monster Idea

Started by Cind, June 17, 2012, 02:57:45 PM

Idea for a monster! Just one. Its not magick, or especially weird, or especially creepy, but looks like nothing else in the Known, comes out of nowhere (no one knows where it came from, save maybe a handful of particularly well-informed persons) and are the ultimate test of a group's fighting prowess.

I'm not talking so much of the difficulty of the fight as I'm talking about the infamous part. This thing roams the world, striking fear into the hearts of those who see it, its fighting skills coming almost as much from its intelligence as its hitting power. It watches you with intelligence in its eyes, it pretends to be dead so you'll draw near, if it has a home base like a cave, it'll set traps around it, it may pick up and throw smaller animals at you from a distance so you'll be distracted as it lumbers closer. Extra points if its been created in a weirdo's basement as the result of a heart-wrenching, misguided desperation/revenge story. Extra points of a person in a top tier of power had it brought from outside the Known in order to cause fear in the local stupid masses, tried to have it killed so that the people would love them and possibly their clan for saving them, but the plan goes horribly awry. Extra points if both plotlines were essential to the fact that this thing now roams the Known and is almost impossible to kill.

The group who kills it would be revered as heroes of <insert homeland here.> I distinctly remember a certain event that enabled a non-human to rise to a status that wouldn't have been possible if they hadn't proven themselves. Giving this sort of opportunity again to persons with non-human minds and goals would be a great carrot on a stick.

I've wanted this in the game for a long time. Not sure if it is viable, I'm not exactly familiar with how much you need to kill the standard met or mek.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I... Uh...

Submit an Idea in the Request tool?

???
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

June 17, 2012, 03:10:26 PM #2 Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:14:57 PM by Cind
Eh, I probably should.

Edit: Did it.

I do wonder what your opinions are, if you have any.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

There are already stealthy, elusive, cunning, nigh-unkillable monsters which one might gain obscene fame by defeating. (And that's not counting rogue muls, evil defilers, and nefarious nilazis, either.)

Heck, I can think of one that's terrorizing people right now.

If you want to add a monster to the game do it IC

Quote from: Yam on June 17, 2012, 04:56:08 PM
If you want to add a monster to the game do it IC

Not joking or being snide by the way.

There is precedent! PCs have done it before!

It's true. Been done before. Looking at you Fathi >_>
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

You people make me happy.

Vorpal Goudra?

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

WITH SHARP POINTY FANGS!!!
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

It's teeth, musashi, you're quoting it wrong.

Actually, moderated that and the post prompting it.  Some stuff you really should find out in-game instead of on the GDB.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

It was my bad, too.  The more you play or staff the game, the more you assume people know, eh? 

Sometimes you want people to be afraid.  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Sorry. I saw someone post about it about a year ago so I thought it was okay.

Quote from: Cind on June 17, 2012, 02:57:45 PM
Idea for a monster! Just one. Its not magick, or especially weird, or especially creepy, but looks like nothing else in the Known, comes out of nowhere (no one knows where it came from, save maybe a handful of particularly well-informed persons) and are the ultimate test of a group's fighting prowess.

I'm not talking so much of the difficulty of the fight as I'm talking about the infamous part. This thing roams the world, striking fear into the hearts of those who see it, its fighting skills coming almost as much from its intelligence as its hitting power. It watches you with intelligence in its eyes, it pretends to be dead so you'll draw near, if it has a home base like a cave, it'll set traps around it, it may pick up and throw smaller animals at you from a distance so you'll be distracted as it lumbers closer. Extra points if its been created in a weirdo's basement as the result of a heart-wrenching, misguided desperation/revenge story. Extra points of a person in a top tier of power had it brought from outside the Known in order to cause fear in the local stupid masses, tried to have it killed so that the people would love them and possibly their clan for saving them, but the plan goes horribly awry. Extra points if both plotlines were essential to the fact that this thing now roams the Known and is almost impossible to kill.

We have that already. It's called "X-D"
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on June 18, 2012, 04:06:27 PM
Quote from: Cind on June 17, 2012, 02:57:45 PM

We have that already. It's called "X-D"

+1

I was going to say this as well as the description fits almost perfectly, especially the "pick up and throw small animals at you" and the "created in a weirdo's basement as the result of a heart-wrenching, misguided desperation/revenge story".
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I had a concept for a weird beastie. I was going to make it part of a dwarven focus to find and kill/tame said creature. I was going to get a bunch of clans involved, it was going to be epic.

I was told unequivocally no by the staff when I asked about bringing such a thing into the game. I was told there were enough weird creatures in the game already, and to pick one of those instead.  :-\

That being said, that was a while ago, so things may have changed since then. Good luck with the request. Let us know how it goes!

Quote from: janus on June 20, 2012, 08:31:18 AM
I had a concept for a weird beastie. I was going to make it part of a dwarven focus to find and kill/tame said creature. I was going to get a bunch of clans involved, it was going to be epic.

I was told unequivocally no by the staff when I asked about bringing such a thing into the game. I was told there were enough weird creatures in the game already, and to pick one of those instead.  :-\

That being said, that was a while ago, so things may have changed since then. Good luck with the request. Let us know how it goes!

This is a great idea for a dwarf concept. You could even explore/alter his focus alters after each successful "hunt". You could start it small, with "I want to bring in a scrab!", and then keep expanding and expanding until he's hunting bahamet or giant silt horrors, or worse. You should do it.