From ATS: Satisfy my idle curiosity?

Started by Morrolan, June 15, 2012, 03:33:09 PM

LC,

Earliest Arm memories:

I started playing in, I think, 1992 or 1993 when my university got this new thing called the "Internet." Some of my friends were playing at the time.

The things that sold me on Arm were permadeath and sdescs. When i came back in 1994, they were now role-play enforced.

I took time off from 1994 to about 2002, and came back to a much more amazing world.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I came waaaay late to Arm. I wish I'd found it earlier instead of sitting round in crazy fantasy roleplay Yahoo chat rooms and crappy Diku muds. Then I'd get to be oldskool in the coolest mud community in town. >.>
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

It makes me even sadder now I've read the Arm history docs properly. ALL THAT COOL SHIT!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I started playing around 1996/1997.  I was really jonesing for something like Mirtos, which had closed during my prior year-long internet absence.  I hopped on Isca, found Moneyman and he told me there were other muds popping up with the same rp idea.  Arm was the first one on the list in the Mud/MUSH forum, so I tried it.  Conveniently, it also greatly resembled my favorite tabletop game of all time.

I guess, to give you an idea of the timeframe I came in at, the Ironsword rebellion had happened recently and House Fale was new, with Karaluvian as the only true Fale.  Tuluk had not been destroyed yet, The Dirk was still a grimy tavern at the edge of the Rinth, there was only one race of elf, etc.  House Tor was not a viable pc option yet.  Azroen, Sanvean and one other were running the show.

Wow.  What a stroll down amnesia lane that was...
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

My first character, ShaLeah (because I had no idea wtf I was getting into) had a start date of: Sun Sep 16 21:51:32 2001
I made her an amnesiac because I was too lazy to read the docs and decided to wing it, which led to the Quick Start submission. I made her to look like me with the same age as me. I sucked. I somehow managed to survive with a lot of help from Imms that took pity on me, I think.

I started when Tor was led by the ugliest motherfucker in the known who commanded a room when he entered it, when Ysania was a breathing person and not a Way, when Tuluk had tons of mutants and still under Nakki occupation. One of my characters owned a honey kank, I saw halflings shnack on corpses, totally thought Samoa's orange eyed pc was creepy (cause my name is Tammy) and once was logged in over 30 hours straight. Don't ask me what I was snorting.

I took a break from 2005 till 2011 and I feel more like a newbie now than I did back then.

Now I have the strangest want to start singing Barbra Streisand's Memories.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I remember Halaster's Recommended Playing Times.  ;D

I remember those.  I also fondly recall Halaster's title before that one HRPT meltdown that lead to him becoming the "Shroud of Death and Puissant Lord of Slaughter", as Sanvean called him in the followup posting.
Proud Owner of her Very Own Delirium.

One of my earlier characters was a Tuluki elf whiran in Kohmar that met Alkyone.  He knew brand new dwarf character up north that was looking for other members of this family called Ironsword.  I really wish I could remember what his name was.  I think that was around 93 or 94.

A later character was possibly the last Tokhar of the Byn in that iteration, after Thanos went up north and...mmmm, Jasco? got jailed.

Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: ShaLeah on June 15, 2012, 04:40:22 PM
My first character, ShaLeah (because I had no idea wtf I was getting into) had a start date of: Sun Sep 16 21:51:32 2001
I made her an amnesiac because I was too lazy to read the docs and decided to wing it, which led to the Quick Start submission. I made her to look like me with the same age as me. I sucked. I somehow managed to survive with a lot of help from Imms that took pity on me, I think.

I started when Tor was led by the ugliest motherfucker in the known who commanded a room when he entered it, when Ysania was a breathing person and not a Way, when Tuluk had tons of mutants and still under Nakki occupation. One of my characters owned a honey kank, I saw halflings shnack on corpses, totally thought Samoa's orange eyed pc was creepy (cause my name is Tammy) and once was logged in over 30 hours straight. Don't ask me what I was snorting.

I took a break from 2005 till 2011 and I feel more like a newbie now than I did back then.

Shally and I started playing about the same time and my first PC played with her first PC. Ahhhhh, good times! I'm still friends with a lot of those people that were Bynners with us.

That was roughly summer of 2001. Took a break from roughly 2004 until 2008 when a bunch of players came to DragonCon(INCLUDING MANSA!!!) and they got me hooked again. Plus that summer I'd hurt my back and couldn't really do anything except sit at the computer or lay in bed. I've been reduced to almost no play time recently though due to getting an actual job with real hours and such.

It's been over two years now, but playing my Arabeti was the BEST time I'd ever had on Arm. There are still a few PCs around from her time, so I won't mention names. :-)
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Quote from: tortall on June 18, 2012, 01:08:51 PM
Shally and I started playing about the same time and my first PC played with her first PC. Ahhhhh, good times! I'm still friends with a lot of those people that were Bynners with us.

That was roughly summer of 2001. Took a break from roughly 2004 until 2008 when a bunch of players came to DragonCon(INCLUDING MANSA!!!) and they got me hooked again. Plus that summer I'd hurt my back and couldn't really do anything except sit at the computer or lay in bed. I've been reduced to almost no play time recently though due to getting an actual job with real hours and such.

It's been over two years now, but playing my Arabeti was the BEST time I'd ever had on Arm. There are still a few PCs around from her time, so I won't mention names. :-)

Torty's first character died and she came back as her sister or cousin or some other newbie-ish twinky shit of that nature. Thalina, oh how loverly you were. And Telak I remember, and Stevith and Zak. I forget most others.

I wish more people would post on this thread.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

June 18, 2012, 04:12:34 PM #11 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:14:38 PM by a small rock
I started playing Armageddon sometime in the Fall of 1994 after a large man polishing a steel cow convinced me to play in college. My first PC application took over a week to get accepted (it may have even been rejected). My first three or four PCs were stone elementalists; the first one popping Mirrukim after my friend spammed "Ha ha, you can't understand me!" about a hundred times in the Temple of Ruk in my first hour of play. He died, randomly getting player-killed by some other PC who decided to attack him in the temple. Shortly after, the game suffered a major hack and didn't come back for (as I recall) months.

When it did, my second PC died within hours after leaving Allanak, in an attempt to make it to Red Storm Village. Another week-long wait for a third PC, and I finally had a success. That PC joined the Feydakin, under Thanos, and moved to Mal Krian. Along the road, I decided that PC would be a little batty, and I wished up to the Gods to have them give me a small rock I roleplayed picking up off the ground. In those days, the gods were generally cruel and unpredictable, and wishing wasn't something done lightly. Being given 'a small rock' that I virtually gathered at the time was the highlight of the game by then, and I was hooked. That PC carried that rock around everywhere he went. It gained a personality, and he'd talk to it often. He became friends with a few Fales who did some crazy stuff (like marry commoners). He was ungemmed, and died under mysterious circumstances walking back into the gates of Allanak with Thanos after he (re)started the T'zai Byn.

Edited to add: the second PC who died on the way to RSV. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have actually been a Vivaduan, who died of thirst. I might be misremembering that, though.

I remember trying to app a hobbit in high school. First ever app. Didn't really work out, that. I got a human male approved and entered the Gaj and asked a room full of npcs if anyone had work for me. Waited a while, left, found myself in a zero-visibility storm, someone comes up to me and says I should have waited, frowns, no idea how to say sorry, so I disconnect.

In 2009 I created a new account and began playing, solely in Tuluk for some reason, think I was just trying to get used to the game, right up until the flood of Tuluk, and then quit playing.

2011, new account, to present. Its been very fun.

To be honest the only reason I know about this game is because I really liked Thy Dungeonman from Homestar Runner and found out that multiple text games existed. Arm sounded freaking awesome, plus it had consent rules, which I refuse to play anything without. Its definitely my kind of game. Arm got me to read Dune, actually, although I imagine for most its the other way around.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

My first PC was in 1998 or 1997, I don't remember clearly.  He was an assassin.  I backstabbed the first npc I saw after buying a weapon.  I landed myself in jail, thought 'this mud sucks', and disconnected.  I later reconnected to see that a templar had released me.  He ran into me later to say don't let it happen again.  I later jumped in on an assist when Lord Templar Boopsiefiel was attacked.  He told me 'Welcome to the militia, citizen'.  I rejoiced, then died to a scrab.

First pc I learned anything with was Hylut, the hideously deformed man.  Played with Dar, Silver, and Ronin...at least those are the big names I remember.  Moontug was starting 'rinthers at the same time, and apparently I kept on killing him.  We later started making pc's together pretty much by accident.

The game has come a long way.  It's the only game that actually gets me...flustered.  Gets me so involved that I actually get a rise out of myself trying to understand things.  I'm invested in it.  Man this game is awesome, even after however many years it's been.  Thirteen?  Damn.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Adj on June 24, 2012, 02:00:16 AM
I remember being griefed by the consider code in redstorm.

eyes you morbidly
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I started playing when I was 14 and had just met what is now my wife. I'm 26 so I'm guessing that was around 1999 or 2000.

I remember my first pc writing his name on the dust of the Firestorm Flame bar.. cause I didn't know any better.
My memories from starting were playing alongside Baladan Tenneshi and riding with Sujaal.
Arm got me to read the Dune series after about a year of playing.
I remember spending my first two years of the game not seeing or hearing about a single magicky thing in tuluk.
I remember the first time I saw magick was when a sorceror was buff enough to fight 5-6 combat pc's inside a city.
I remember being terrified of mages from that day forward.
I remember when Kija was a newb and got bested by a Bamuk.
I remember when Eunoli was a new pc.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

I started playing ages ago.  It seems like a lifetime.  I don't remember the year but it was a -long- time ago.

When I made my first armageddon character you would see skill values when typing skills.

There were blackmoon raider NPCs on the roads.

NPCs all over had metal items.

Magickers were everywhere. 

People would meet up, say hello to one another, and then go spar outside the city gates.

My very first character was a whiran I think.  I entered the game at a friend's place and since I came from a MUDing background one of my very first actions was to attack an NPC in Allanak.  The soldiers promptly attacked and killed my character.  I was really confused.  I was more confused when the same soldier killed my character -again- when I went to loot my body.

I remember helping the PCs who founded the Guild.

I remember when the gypsies traveled from location to location without a permanent residency. 

I remember the Ironswords and Thrain.  He helped one of my first characters when I fell off the shield wall.  I remember when the Siege of Allanak began and wondering why I wasn't allowed to go to Allanak.  heheh

I remember some of the old player guilds.  House Kohmar was interesting.  The crew that hung out at the Fighting Pit was more interesting.  What amazes me is how these groups left memories that got reborn and became part of the culture of the game. 

Armageddon truly is a game where the players have made its history. 

I had an account awhile ago that I no longer remember the password too, after reading this post I just spent 20 minutes trying to remember it. So I cheated and looked for a post from my user name and ....October 30, 2006, 08:46:06 AM, I was registered.. Lived through the Gith invasion of Allanak, with a northerner ranger. Worked for Tortall with a Dwarf, warrior/hunter named Boleck, I remember Halflings not Kryl in the forest. Myself and two others (wished I rememberd there names) use to be raiders, praying on the many miners outside Allanaks west gate. Thats before the spiders took over.

Fighting mantis, monsters, and a crazy wizrobe at the invasion of Tuluk with Bela and Callisto's Byn crew. Then, later, doing it again at Luir's.

Or maybe the other way around, I forget.

One of them died. We were sad. My PC threw up on the mul PC on the argosy-ride home.

When I started playing, there was a mul to arm-wrestle in the Sanctuary.

Freil's Rest was the North, for all intents and purposes.

The vineyard up North was open and bustling, and Allanak controlled it all.

Luir's had no Baily or Arena.

There were many more scrab, much closer to Allanak, and they didn't hit as hard.

I don't really remember spiders.

Silt Horrors used to wander up around the Allanak gates.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

My first attempt at arm was 99?  2000?  Can't square it exactly.  I rolled up a guy and stepped into Allanak.  Got swept up by someone named Pearl and put in the Tor Academy in order to serve the Borsail.  I also got shown into the Bard's Barrel and paraded in front of and oggled by a bunch of masked people(must be ugly if they're masked right).

My job made it so I missed all the cool mantis RPT's and my only sparring partner and I would knock each other out in fist fights.  I also remember running all around, because I didn't remember to set 'walk' after fleeing.  Sweat stained all my gear.   Boredom caused a disengage from the game, since I couldn't get any rp or rumbles going on.

I came back much later only to find I couldn't remember my password, and made a new account.  I did better, and after saving a mul from death, then some nobles, decided to stick with it.

My first arm character was in 96 or so. Decided to go against the grain and play a dirtbag hanging out in Trader's. Was demanded to leave by a Tor lord, refused, and got into a scuffle, in which my character whooped the Tor and two of his bodyguards before the militia joined in and whooped my character.

It made the IC boards, and I was instantly hooked.

Then, went on to be a dirtbag bartender, who married into Kadius, brought down a Reynolte lady, and invented Firestorm's Flame as a PC.. Miss the days!

my first attempt was about 3 years ago. my ex wife found the game, made an account with my usual name and made a pc, and handed off to me. It was a merchant crafter, in the Byn. Yeah, that didn't work...

i got bored, a year later I think, i made a new account, and joined the Byn under Lt. Raul. Who, across probably 4 pc's, taught me how to play the game. And kept me coming back.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Same here, like Fredd, but more like my friend (Jamuk) got me in (more like talked me into making a PC).  I quit for awhile and came back during the period that Jamuk was still playing.  He quit and I'm still here.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Created: Sat Mar 24 13:49:38 2007.
# of Characters (Total/Alive/Applying/Allowed): 80/0/0/1

Watched Kronibas play over his shoulder when we were rooming together for a few hours, and decided I wanted to play.
My first few characters (that lasted more than a couple hours) were warriors who all joined up with Sorn Tallid(?) and his merc company.
I didn't get on the GDB much and didn't really think of armageddon as anything but a cool game to pass the time by until my first APM.

Did so many embarrassingly twinky things back then. (i.e. leading meks to the gate and then skinning them)

The first PC that I really remember and when I "got" RP) was Gorn Mekbane, an albino dwarf ranger under in Kadius under then Senior Agent Sharlo. (2008) Those were some damn good times.
My favorites were definably Elorin Kadius (that crew and the other PCs around Tuluk at the time were consistently some of the best characters I've ever played with) and Tolan of Vivadu (oh how I still regret his death) :(.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I started a little bit before Shaleah. I was on my third char, the previous two having lasted four and eight days played respectively. I got hooked by Travis (I forget his GDB name). Anyway, we were in computer class, and I saw him playing a MUD. He started talking about this maze called the 'rinth, and he had watched some guy have a heart attack, then proceeded to loot his body. I thought, 'Heart attack? That's pretty cool.' After checking, I am currently on my 24th character.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

Eh, I joined after playing the historically famous LP Mud Realmsmud for awhile.  I had heard about the game on ISCA BBS and while my first character sucked, it was my water elementalist (no karma back in the day) that got me hooked.  This was back before clans were coded up and halflings were often seen within the city (friendly-like), blackmoon raiders (NPC) scoured the landscape and Gith actually had good gear on them!

I remember some famous Saturday quest line for the Waxen man - some sorcerer, I think and Templars riding split-hooved horses.  Later, with my indy dwarf merchant who later built one of the Kuraci wagons, we went on a quest to try and unseat Isar (northern templar dude) and failed terribly! I forget the templar's name that had gotten us all into this, but he ended up staying in Luir's for a time and then I think he disappeared. 

I still get a kick when I see that wagon now and again.

Anyway, the biggest thing that gets me (especially when I look back on the old GDB) is how many of the discussions we had then in 96 and 97 are still being had today.

And, I miss Thanas.  What an amazing player.  Was he immortal?  Also, Irishman - I remember playing with a couple of his characters back in the day - really taught me a lot.

Quote from: Sakra on July 06, 2012, 08:44:06 AM

I started a little bit before Shaleah. I was on my third char, the previous two having lasted four and eight days played respectively. I got hooked by Travis (I forget his GDB name). Anyway, we were in computer class, and I saw him playing a MUD. He started talking about this maze called the 'rinth, and he had watched some guy have a heart attack, then proceeded to loot his body. I thought, 'Heart attack? That's pretty cool.' After checking, I am currently on my 24th character.

Heh.  That was my deformed character, I think.  Heart attack came because of meaningless arguing via wish with who I am pretty sure was Nessalin.  The debate?  "Those can't fit in those wristsheathes."  "But the code lets me do it, so obviously....they do."
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on July 06, 2012, 10:32:13 PM
Quote from: Sakra on July 06, 2012, 08:44:06 AM

Heh.  That was my deformed character, I think.  Heart attack came because of meaningless arguing via wish with who I am pretty sure was Nessalin.  The debate?  "Those can't fit in those wristsheathes."  "But the code lets me do it, so obviously....they do."

Ha. I had a similar debate with Halaster. But it was more 'You're a giant, so you probably -could- put swords in a wrist sheath you're wearing. But the code won't let you do it. Oh well.'
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

This post inspired me to do a bit of searching.  I think the timing code was inconsistent, so we couldn't really do math to figure out the first ingame year, but it might help those who started that early and have logs/remember to get an even more accurate guess.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.mud/browse_thread/thread/33946633be141498/27c1d5d70a533da9?lnk=gst&q=Armageddon#27c1d5d70a533da9

Santiago Zorzopulos  
May 23 1992, 11:53 am

Ok, we'll be open for playtesting in about a month from now, if all
goes well, which it has been, for the most part.  Prob is, we're a bit
short on creators who aren't just goofing off.  We have online creation
code for rooms, objs, mobs and even zone files, and tons of really
new shit.  The MUD is semi-based on Dark Sun, and is set entirely
on a desert world inhabited by strange creatures.  If anyone is interested
in becoming a creator, please send mail to sa...@phlo.life.uiuc.edu,
or bruml...@iboga.stat.uiuc.edu.  Thanx.

-------------------------------------   Dan Brumleve, AKA Jhalavar
A       M       G       D       O       bruml...@iboga.stat.uiuc.edu
   R       A       E       D       N  
-------------------------------------

So looks like June 1992 it was expected opened.

Meh, I just thought it was interesting.  May be slightly off topic, since it doesn't actually say much about the ingame year.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Started in 2003 after reading something about permadeath, I think. This was around the time the mantis started wrecking crap all over the known, and Sujaal was just beginning to come into prominence. I remember thinking that Wyverns were shapeshifters who turned into dragons. Had my first Guild experience with Digger after wrecking shop against the Allanakis in the big sewer battle, "Kill them all," and being like one of the 3 rinthis who made it out. One of my other first characters was told to avoid Sujaal when he headed up to the north. Another was involved with some back-and-forth with Winrothol and Tenneshi, and I still remember being frightened by Marcello? Winrothol (think that was his name).

I remember:
-Elithan being a new templar
-Assassin training with Serpent, with Falka disapproving
-Mansa's fat Kadian who smoked everywhere
-Fighting mantis with the mul-arm wrestler
-The bones of one Haedith Oash being dumped all over the Sanctuary
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on July 14, 2012, 08:01:11 PM
-Elithan being a new templar

The Winrothol one?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I started in the late 90s, I guess, which makes me feel really old. It was way before this version of the GDB, and I played a few years with Saturday downtimes, which I thought was the cruelest thing ever. It was also years before the Think command was added, something I still haven't gotten the hang of using. I've had 3 characters who each lived longer than 18 RL months. My first character was a pickpocket who was female, because I (correctly) assumed that other nerds would be more trusting of a female character than a male on. I used to nick everything and twink out so terribly, like sell things to PC's, but just 'emote gives ~sword to ~amos' instead of 'give sword amos'. My first long-lived character was around when Pearl started, he also met that Fale noble with the sock puppets, whatever his name was. He also might have accidentally started a Halaster HRPT that accounted for 80+ deaths.

Also, when I was a kid, I once put out a role for children who were not actually my IC children. Ooops. I fucked up like 6 people's plots with that one. Sorry!!!

For the first 4-5 years, I refused to play anywhere but allanak, so I wouldn't fuck up my character with ooc knowledge of other cultures. This made it awesome when Tuluk rebelled against the occupation, because I had so much time invested in our side.

Quote from: Uberskaapie on July 19, 2012, 10:24:09 PM
he also met that Fale noble with the sock puppets, whatever his name was.

That was most likely Kojiro. HOW did I not know Fale had sock puppets? I even PLAYED a Fale!

The belgoi raiders that used to swarm outside Tuluk with their little bells were just so cute (and very '90s).
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I remember getting my stomach sliced open by the expert slash of a hobbit, and my hands coming automatically to my stomach to stem the flow of my colorful guts spilling out. A beautiful way to die, especially given I had left Tuluk to unintentionally die in the wilderness from long, boring dehydration. I wish I had that logged, or remembered what was actually the killing blow, because they were beating the shit out of me for two more rounds.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

My earliest memory was my very first character walking around in Red Storm asking the guards how to get out of town? A staff member finally animated one for me and pointed me in the right direction. I then got all the way to Allanak without seeing a single animal (this was back in the day where the longer Arm had gone without a reboot, the less animals there were roaming the wilds).

I got to Allanak where I promptly got lost. I said I was new in town and they a couple of people were nice enough to show me where the Gaj was and even sit down with me for a couple of drinks. Given they were my friends, I told them about how I secretly didn't like slavery and how a mul taught me how to read and write. One of them had to leave soon after, but the others kept talking with me as we got some more drinks.

Shortly afterwards a templar entered the bar, walked over to me and a soldier grappled me. He took me outside the tavern down the street loudly proclaiming there was going to be some entertainment. I was accused of "spreading lies about being able to read." I defended myself and said I could read. I was gagged and then beheaded.

Welcome to Armageddon.

From that point on I was hooked. That was back in 2002. These days I don't play anymore, although I will roll up a new character for a short while. The problem is I become very antisocial when I play because all I want to do is play Armageddon. That is just how much I love this game.

But yes, that's my earliest memory of this game. Funnily enough whenever I'm in Red Storm I know how to get to Allanak. But I can never reverse it without aimlessly walking around for 30 minutes completely lost. I can never remember if Red Storm is south-east or south-west of Allanak. AND YET I can always go home to Allanak from Red Storm without any trouble (well I had trouble one time but that's because I got caught in a sandstorm and couldnt' control the direction I was walking)

Quote from: Adj on June 24, 2012, 02:00:16 AM
I remember being griefed by the consider code in redstorm.
The pudgy, brown haired man eyes you morbidly.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on June 24, 2012, 05:01:56 PMLuir's had no Baily or Arena.
Luir's has an arena now? Man, this game has changed.

I think my first PC managed a total of three or four hours played. Probably the first PC I actually remember was Called Gar, he fell in with Kissagrah, got called 'Little Gar' by a Jahien of the same name, died to hawk...Possibly the worst assassin in the known.

I think that was...2008/09. I'm a newb.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on July 26, 2012, 12:57:30 PM
I think my first PC managed a total of three or four hours played. Probably the first PC I actually remember was Called Gar, he fell in with Kissagrah, got called 'Little Gar' by a Jahien of the same name, died to hawk...Possibly the worst assassin in the known.

We're all newbs compared to someone else.

And even us old timers who make resolutions never to play again get drawn back and feel like newbs all over again.

Quote from: John on July 28, 2012, 08:14:06 AM
Quote from: Kol on July 26, 2012, 12:57:30 PM

And even us old timers who make resolutions never to play again get drawn back and feel like newbs all over again.

This.

I started in 99 or 2000. Joined the Byn a few times and got into the game, but it really started to shine for me the summer of 03 with Serpent and Rocker and wackiness in the rinth. Damn.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Quote from: Tenua on July 20, 2012, 10:17:17 AM
Quote from: Uberskaapie on July 19, 2012, 10:24:09 PM
he also met that Fale noble with the sock puppets, whatever his name was.

That was most likely Kojiro. HOW did I not know Fale had sock puppets? I even PLAYED a Fale!

Heh, that was Favstian Fale. He was a blast to play, even though I lost interest in him after a couple months.

On my return to Arm I logged in with him, at 150 or so years old, and wished up to be killed off so I could make another.. and I was sent "Hmm, I vaguely remember Mr. Tek (The puppet)"

And then the mantis-head!

I blame Shal. I thought his staff-controlled NPC was a PC, and he saved my noob butt a few times. (I didn't figure it was Shal until at least a couple years afterwards.) Eventually my character ran into something or the other really mean rinthis while off on a suicide rescue, he was promptly killed when I spazzed out and tried to run away. That PC ran into some (if not all) of the more famous characters of Allanak back when I started (07 I believe). I somehow managed to stumble into a lot of scenes by simply wandering around and taking wrong turns (walking into temples in the middle of some amazing ritualistic shit comes to mind).

What got me hooked was the unforgiving nature of the world, really. And at the time Allanak was really crowded and happening and had a decent off-peak hour population. Besides, I was just starting uni-studies, what better things did I have to do?
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I am sitting here trying to remember where I first found Armageddon. It was either on the University of Minnesota Gopher Hole - MUD listing or on ISCA. Regardless, I started playing Armageddon in 1995 - 1996. Some of my earlier memories:

• Playing PCs inside the Blackwing Tribe. I was fortunate enough to play with some amazing PCs there. Mordaga, Kahann (sp).
  • When d-elfs were actually c-elfs that were modified. Could be assassins as well.
  • I remember playing with Goldie and Silver in the Guild.
  • I remember a Red Robe PC Templar by the name of Octavian or Octavius. He use to openly walk around 'Nak with a silver sword.

These were some of my earlier memories. I am sure there is a ton of stuff that I would remember if prompted. Just had too many good times playing on Armageddon, glad I'm still here.

Quote from: John on July 28, 2012, 08:14:06 AM

You'll always be a newb to me  :-*
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

I think I started playing 2006? Around there..
My first char I don't remember, I'm sure it died fast.  I seem to remember wandering in the Rinth.
I had the advantage at the time to have this game introduced by another player at another MUD, so I had extra help.
I don't think that player plays anymore.

I still consider myself a great noob, because I on and off play this game.   And have taken large breaks in between.
:-)