Automatic Character Loader

Started by ponycorns, June 15, 2012, 10:51:17 AM

I'm not sure what work it would take but the idea came to me while awaiting my next PC approval/rejection.
I hate waiting for the clock to tick by, especially when it nears a full 24 hours.
Funny part is after my approval comes, I am fine with waiting for real life to allow me time to log in and start them off.
Here's the idea:
Since we can only have one active PC at a time, what if there was a way to set a second PC in a standby slot?
Then upon death of the initial character, the loader would activate the new one to play, much like the auto e-mail I get on death.
Common sense of course that one can't go loot  their own dead body etc stands.
Is this a foolish idea? Thoughts?  :-\

I can see why some people might want to jump straight back into the game, but I think enforcing a bit down time (especially after longer lived characters) is a good thing. While it's easy to say that you wouldn't be allowed to go loot your own corpse, or take revenge on your attacker etc...the temptation might still be there!

Regular character apps don't really take that long to get approved anyway. I've had them approved in under an hour.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

In a sense this is a really nice idea, but the corpse looting would still take place. Some players still do it even though it's against the rules, although most of them are newer players, I would hope. But the staff would also get swamped with apps for the future and people would then come up with ideas only to later not want them there. But I suppose you could add a delete app option for the future application, but that would waste the imms work imo.

It is a good idea, just don't know if it necessarily makes anything more efficient. Application wait times aren't that overly long anyways.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: ponycorns on June 15, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
I'm not sure what work it would take but the idea came to me while awaiting my next PC approval/rejection.
I hate waiting for the clock to tick by, especially when it nears a full 24 hours.
Funny part is after my approval comes, I am fine with waiting for real life to allow me time to log in and start them off.
Here's the idea:
Since we can only have one active PC at a time, what if there was a way to set a second PC in a standby slot?
Then upon death of the initial character, the loader would activate the new one to play, much like the auto e-mail I get on death.
Common sense of course that one can't go loot  their own dead body etc stands.
Is this a foolish idea? Thoughts?  :-\

I just want to point out that you n00bs are pretty spoiled in this regard. When I started playing in 2001 it was not uncommon to wait a week or more, PLUS most of Saturday was down time, thus NO ARM AT ALL FOR OVER EIGHT HOURS EVEN WITH A CURRENT PC IN GAME!!

Like Maso said. Waiting a day can do you some good.

Patience, puppy.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'd be fine just being able to Store my own PC from the in game menu or the request tool (SoI allows this I believe, for example, or possible the sci-fi one whose name I can never remember.)  Or go in and cancel/edit an application once its sent in, as staff can't access your account while you're logged in anyway, I don't see how it would hurt anything.

That wasn't exactly on topic, but it's sorta related.

Quote from: maxid on June 15, 2012, 03:43:16 PM
I'd be fine just being able to Store my own PC from the in game menu or the request tool.

From what I have seen, this is something that is not allowed because although most players are responsible, some might leave plots hanging. Because storing requires staff permission, staff has the chance to work with the player to make certain that other players are not unduly inconvenienced. The killing of a character may be an IC wrench in a plot, but storage is an OOC wrench with no explanation.

Requiring staff permission to store allows staff to tie up loose ends, or at least be aware that there are loose ends.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yet staff can also easily track this, and dock karma/send angry letters/whatever is required if you store like a dick, or without asking permission when shit is going on.  Thought, that is extra work, it was just a wish, as it can be difficult being really bored with a PC, but not wanting to just rush off and gith yourself because that's a really lame way to move on.

Staff don't get mad at you if you store a PC you're not having fun playing.

If you are in a leadership role, with others depending on you, the need to request storage also gives the staff a chance to look at your situation and talk to you about it. You may find that they can look at ways to alleviate the boredom of the role with you and end up changing your mind. Which can lead to goodness. Not that they would ever mind if you still chose to store.

Well yes, obviously, if it's a sponsored role or a leadership position you should/should have to ask staff, but for the lowly regular pc.  I guess there'd be no way to regulate you being able to as a leader, unless it became part of setup to turn it off, and that's just adding a bunch of junk.

It also stops you doing it in a crazy rage or when drunk. Which you (I) could possibly regret.

I'm sure there are lots of players active who have never had an app rejected, or at least haven't had one rejected in a long time. I think it'd be a nice thing to give to trusted players (and maybe it would cut down on staff workload?). Maybe limit it to players with karma who are apping non-karma roles.

Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 16, 2012, 02:58:16 PM
I'm sure there are lots of players active who have never had an app rejected, or at least haven't had one rejected in a long time. I think it'd be a nice thing to give to trusted players (and maybe it would cut down on staff workload?). Maybe limit it to players with karma who are apping non-karma roles.

I've had maybe 2-3 apps rejected in the past, and I'm glad someone caught it. Things like my first dwarf who had hair.

Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.