Suggestion: Split up overlapping skills on the skill tree.

Started by Dresan, June 15, 2012, 03:40:49 AM

My suggestion is that overlapping skills such as hide, scan, sneak and hunt be split up in the skill trees, and that we be allowed to see their individual progressions. This could either be done by just adding Hide (C) and HIDE (W) for city or wilderness respectfully or by changing the names. Wilderness hide could be called camouflage for example.

It never used to be a big deal before because it rarely occurred that we had more then one skill overlapping however with extended sub-guild there are times where that will be much more likely. When i have had two versions of the same skill, hunt for example, i found i could use one version of it that of the main guild but the other never really seemed to work at all. I think by splitting them up, and seeing them progress individually we could have a better gauge at our ability with the skill.

The trade off here could be that these skills could stop triggering the popping of their counterparts, which wouldn't be the worst thing if you  get two working skills at different levels eventually.

I could be wrong but I always thought it was one skill, tagged via a script or something to be better in the city, the wilds, or sometimes both depending on guild/sub guild combinations.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I always though they were completely separate skills connected only in that they shared a single command, but you're right dresan, it'll become confusing now with the possibility of multiple people having both city and wilderness hide, especially since confusion on their part could lead to them losing their special app through death.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

It's not two different sets of skills presently, so altering how the skills display would be more confusing than useful. If your PC, despite having both 'city' and 'wilderness' training in a given skill, is better at it one place than the other... I'd chalk that up to something other than skill levels. Environment or equipment, maybe?

Basically what you are saying is that if you train sneak/hide in a city to max, so long as you have Outdoors-person sub-guild you should be able to do the same outside.

I can see it go either way, since assassins could always try to successfully stealth outside with a penalty, but then again that hunt skill has always sucked mighty big nuts in the wilderness for my assassin/hunters regardless of how good it was inside the city. That all said, like all things code, maybe its best left to mystery.

The last time Morgenes spoke about it was here from what i could find at least :

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,20908.msg222903.html#msg222903

Quote from: Dresan on June 15, 2012, 10:27:29 AM
I can see it go either way, since assassins could always try to successfully stealth outside with a penalty, but then again that hunt skill has always sucked mighty big nuts in the wilderness for my assassin/hunters regardless of how good it was inside the city.

Might be you were doing this in the days before we could actually see the skill level.  Before you get too worried, be sure you're comparing Master Hunt to Master Hunt.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I don't see why to list them as different. If you have both they should work equally in either environment. Morgenes' post that was linked to even says as much, at least that's how I understood it. If you have a main guild that gives you city sneak, hide, and hunt and a subguild that gives you wilderness sneak, hide, and hunt, then they can be used in either environment equally. Of course, different types of gear and such may give boosts in one environment and not in another, making it appear that you are better in one than the other.

Subguild may have a lower cap than main guild?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

The tall figure in a hooded, scrub-camouflaged duster is here, crouching behind the sofa.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Maso on June 15, 2012, 12:29:25 PM
Subguild may have a lower cap than main guild?

Doesn't matter. When you have two of the same skill, one from sub and one from main, your cap is always your main guild cap for the skill. The subguild cap, effectively doesn't exist in those cases. In the case of wilderness and city versions, it's the same skill, just flagged for use in one environment or the other. Except in the case that your guild/subguild combination gives you both, then your skill is capped from your main guild cap and is flagged to work in either. That is my understanding of it from the way staff has answered various parts of this over the years.

That's correct.

Dresan, from what you're describing I think things are working as intended, but I can't explain without discussing the assassin skill caps. I think you should send a request in if you have questions about skill mechanics, as we can't really answer you here.