Stool/Chair kicking

Started by hatchets, June 14, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

Well, since we're getting in to specifics, what happens is that the seated person sees you coming and invariably bitchslaps you away.

June 14, 2012, 07:42:09 PM #26 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:48:13 PM by RogueGunslinger
Refer to my last post.

Edit: Also, when someone gets a little specific with code, it's probably not best to up the ante. That's a game that can't end well.

Oh, I did. But in my experience it's less "try to get someone out of their seat" and more "this person is actually a ninja and is staying right where the fuck they want to be." It's particularly galling when they prove completely outmatched once on the floor. May be there's a fail chance I just haven't seen yet.

We should all start punching people as soon as we log in, to test this. For science.

Well, I mean. I haven't seen any codes in arm that have a fail chance, and a critical fail chance, but no chance of success. So I've just been sort of assuming there's a chance of success. I don't really know. Could be it's not that way for a reason. My characters have never survived long enough to figure it out.

I don't think you actually do get a chance to pick them up, if you do, color me surprised.

You can't pick someone out of their seat with brawl code.

If someone is sufficiently good enough at brawling, you can counter their attempt to grab your shoulder.

Whenever I had a character who would try to brawl people who wouldn't get out of their seats, I would emote about smacking and hitting at them while they're seating. The phrase "in a manner that would prove extremely irritating" was used.

I don't really think having a system where you can pull someone up out of their seat (barring subdue) just to flex some coded muscle with the brawl code is really necessary.

Quote from: Potaje on June 14, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
sneak

hide

hemote heads into the tavern trailing a rope attached to an inix with the tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak standing next to it.

hemote letting length after length of rope out, while moving subtly through the crowd towards ~amos sitting at the ~bar @ snickers ever so softly to &me

hemote trying as he may to be unnoticed @ ties off the end of the length of rope to the stool ~amos sits on.

:steps back a few paces from ~amos, clears his throat trying to get ^amos attention.

shout (with a laugh in his voice) NOW!

echo to room from the north: With a loud meaty slap of flesh to flesh a someone shouts in sirihish " Heyah!"

The man at the bar looks at you then out towards the road, still sitting on his stool.

echo to room: You hear a scream cry out from the north as some one shouts in shirihish "Oh Fee_..!

Hemote you look down at the slack rope which only jostled.

The man at the bar notices you looking down and looks down to see the rope tied to his stool.

l n (swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road)

Swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road, you look north:

near

A tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak is fighting an inix
An inix is here fight a figure in a hot pink fur lined cloak.

weakly squeaking, glancing back to the man sitting at the bar, you say in sirihish: "now."

:turns you dart off as the man begins to stand cursing at you.

Run north

Potaje.

I <3 you so hard.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 14, 2012, 08:42:09 PM
You can't pick someone out of their seat with brawl code.

If someone is sufficiently good enough at brawling, you can counter their attempt to grab your shoulder.

Whenever I had a character who would try to brawl people who wouldn't get out of their seats, I would emote about smacking and hitting at them while they're seating. The phrase "in a manner that would prove extremely irritating" was used.

I don't really think having a system where you can pull someone up out of their seat (barring subdue) just to flex some coded muscle with the brawl code is really necessary.

I think it is. Why have that code at all otherwise?

On one side of things, as much as people idle while in taverns it prevents someone who is afk from getting dragged out of their stool and into a fight while they aren't there to respond to it.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 14, 2012, 09:55:53 PM
On one side of things, as much as people idle while in taverns it prevents someone who is afk from getting dragged out of their stool and into a fight while they aren't there to respond to it.

But on the other side, some people get a free ticket to talk hard shit-- knowing you can't really do anything to 'em 'cause they're seated.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone try to brawl an unresponsive, afk person.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 14, 2012, 10:04:31 PM
But on the other side, some people get a free ticket to talk hard shit-- knowing you can't really do anything to 'em 'cause they're seated.

Yes, I have seen that happen. Maybe an "unseat" command that works like the brawl code except to attempt to get someone off their seat? Have different echoes like brawl depending on success or failure with a few different possible options for how the attempt happens whether it's kicking their stool out from under them or grabbing them and yanking them out of their seat, etc.

Screw you guys, I'm just going to go right on believing brawl code already does this.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 10:10:32 PM
Screw you guys, I'm just going to go right on believing brawl code already does this.

I'm confident the only way to "unseat" another PC is by using subdue, kill, or some kind of aggressive magick.

Confident, but not sure. This is the margin where my hopes and dreams live.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
Confident, but not sure. This is the margin where my hopes and dreams live.

Let's play with Crim Code!

I'm with RGS on this one.  Pretty sure I've seen someone dragged up with the brawl code, don't feel like digging through my logs to remember in which one.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Morgenes on November 20, 2008, 10:13:36 AM
The reason why militia overlooks brawls is it's a mutual fight that both participants want. If you're dragging someone off their stool to participate in the fight, then you are going beyond the accepted status quo on what a brawl is, you are forcing someone to participate in the fight when they don't want to.  Hence why you need to subdue them to get this, and hence why the militia would get involved at that point and therefore why we don't let you do that with anything less than the subdue command.

Found here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,33177.0.html

I knew I had read this from a staffer somewhere before.

Mother fucker. Damn. Thanks though, Bag, for finding the info.

Thanks Bag, that kinda answers the chance of getting some kind of kicking the stool out from under them thing to happen.
Life sucks, then you die.