Stool/Chair kicking

Started by hatchets, June 14, 2012, 12:29:25 PM

I been watching a few movies, and pondering a few things and I am curious if there is a syntax to kick someones chair or stool out from underneath them. Leaving them sitting on the ground (or if agile enough they land on their feet) I could see a few instances where this could be an interesting way to get someones attention (for better or worse) and just thought if it is possible I would like to know how to do it and if it is not possible yet, perhaps suggest something to the effect.
Life sucks, then you die.

emote kicks the chair out from underneath ~amos.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 14, 2012, 12:34:22 PM
emote kicks the chair out from underneath ~amos.

Power emote.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Is it? Amos is free to determine if he lands or doesn't land. I'd say it's toeing the line, but I'm not sure I would qualify it as a power emote. I suppose it would depend on the situation.

I don't think it is, no.

However, I do admit that it's indeed close to the edge of acceptable non-coded aggressive action.

emote kicks out ^me foot in an attempt to knock the chair out from underneath ~amos.

Then if Amos is a half-giant on a giant sturdy chair, he can just look at you like you're an idiot.

Certainly one should take obvious circumstances into account for ALL emotes.

However, in circumstances where Amos is not unusually large, nor his chair unusually sturdy, nor is he aware of my intentions, and my character has at least a moderately powerful kick, I think it's perfectly fine to assume that my attempt to unseat him will succeed.

Unless someone is leaning back in said chair, it's not very easy to knock someone out of their seat by kicking the legs. I once was delighted to be the antagonist [though playfully] in a scene where someone mentioned tipping the chair up and I emoted after that I kicked the leg tipping it up. The other party RPed the rest. Was actually very fun. Added if the offender was the half-giant....I guess my earlier statement stands corrected! And a butt-rubbing emote would need to ensue.  ;D

Quote from: Sav on June 14, 2012, 01:42:39 PM
emote kicks out ^me foot in an attempt to knock the chair out from underneath ~amos.

Then if Amos is a half-giant on a giant sturdy chair, he can just look at you like you're an idiot.

This is a bit better than the first example, in my opinion. If the person sitting in the chair decides that you didn't manage to kick it out from under him, then it's still consistent with the the kicking emote. What you might think is a reasonable assumption might not be so reasonable to the other person. It's better to leave it open-ended because it's polite and because things can get weird if people start emote fighting without this mutual understanding.

Meh, well then, since it doesn't sound like theres any hard coded syntax for it, would definately suggest for there to be.

I had considered an emote, but I hate emoting things that even remotely relate to another person's physical state. It makes me think of when I play with my nephew, who's three, and who decides that I always miss him, but he always hits me (yay toy guns! I am so upgrading him to nerf guns and paintball when hes older) While I accept that some situations can be mutually roleplayed with emotes, I just don't think anything agressive should ever be.

The consequences in this case are pretty minimal, though.  I don't see how code adjudication would really enrich the scene that much as the victim's response is probably going to be emoted in more detail either way.

The other option, if you really want to forcefully and codedly unseat someone, is use the subdue command.  However, that's likely to have very undesirable side effects (namely, a couple of burly half-giant soldiers coming in and reducing your PC to a chunky slurry on the tavern floor).

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 14, 2012, 03:25:59 PM
The other option, if you really want to forcefully and codedly unseat someone, is use the subdue command.  However, that's likely to have very undesirable side effects (namely, a couple of burly half-giant soldiers coming in and reducing your PC to a chunky slurry on the tavern floor).

Yes, I was thinking bash, with the same limitations, AKA the "chunky salsa effect."
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I don't think you can bash a seated target, though.

That makes me sad.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I feel like with anything that could be emoted, it's always more interesting to leave an action open-ended. Maybe Amos's crappy chair gets kicked out from under him, or maybe his chair is nice and sturdy but he's sloshed and falls off anyway. I'd bet even some of the most survival-oriented players would be willing to take the occasional IC-justified pratfall.

June 14, 2012, 03:55:19 PM #15 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:56:52 PM by Marauder Moe
Indeed, the majority of Arm players, from what I've seen, are pretty good about letting their characters get slapped around in emotes when it's realistic for things to happen that way, even the badasses who can, and often subsequently do, stand up, turn around, and deliver a beating/brawling in kind.

EDIT: Which is part of the reason why I think it's OK to emote more definitively rather than passively/open-ended.  Most players are mature enough to go with it.  Personally, I think it reads better in the end too.

I would always opt for open-ended, and would prefer the same if someone was doing it to me. I would emote swinging a punch for X, for example, rather than just emoting that I'd punched someone in the face. The other player is the one that knows whether their character is a super ninja or not.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Marauder Moe on June 14, 2012, 12:34:22 PM
emote kicks at the chair beneath ~amos, trying to knock it out from underneath ~amos.

Close enough, but the coded bit might be a neat addition too.

sneak

hide

hemote heads into the tavern trailing a rope attached to an inix with the tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak standing next to it.

hemote letting length after length of rope out, while moving subtly through the crowd towards ~amos sitting at the ~bar @ snickers ever so softly to &me

hemote trying as he may to be unnoticed @ ties off the end of the length of rope to the stool ~amos sits on.

:steps back a few paces from ~amos, clears his throat trying to get ^amos attention.

shout (with a laugh in his voice) NOW!

echo to room from the north: With a loud meaty slap of flesh to flesh a someone shouts in sirihish " Heyah!"

The man at the bar looks at you then out towards the road, still sitting on his stool.

echo to room: You hear a scream cry out from the north as some one shouts in shirihish "Oh Fee_..!

Hemote you look down at the slack rope which only jostled.

The man at the bar notices you looking down and looks down to see the rope tied to his stool.

l n (swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road)

Swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road, you look north:

near

A tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak is fighting an inix
An inix is here fight a figure in a hot pink fur lined cloak.

weakly squeaking, glancing back to the man sitting at the bar, you say in sirihish: "now."

:turns you dart off as the man begins to stand cursing at you.

Run north
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

If someone is sitting and you ever want them to stand I suggest using the brawl code. It's fun.

'hit amos'

Doesn't work.

Edit: At least, from a certain point of view.

It's kind of annoying when someone refuses to "interact" with your PC once it escalates from a verbal argument to a physical one. It's obviously noobs that do this, but still annoying. I've seen PCs on a couple of occasions "em clings to ~bar desperately, appearing to be surprisingly strong" when another PC is simply trying to beat them up--but definitive emotes would be power emoting.

Meh!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

June 14, 2012, 07:35:08 PM #22 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:40:56 PM by RogueGunslinger
It does if your character isn't a big ol' wussie!

;)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 07:35:08 PM

;)

No, it literally doesn't work.  You can't engage brawl code on a seated person.

Quote from: maxid on June 14, 2012, 07:35:57 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 07:35:08 PM

;)

No, it literally doesn't work.  You can't engage brawl code on a seated person.

Well I mean, you don't try to hit them, no. You try to pick them out of their seat though.

Well, since we're getting in to specifics, what happens is that the seated person sees you coming and invariably bitchslaps you away.

June 14, 2012, 07:42:09 PM #26 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:48:13 PM by RogueGunslinger
Refer to my last post.

Edit: Also, when someone gets a little specific with code, it's probably not best to up the ante. That's a game that can't end well.

Oh, I did. But in my experience it's less "try to get someone out of their seat" and more "this person is actually a ninja and is staying right where the fuck they want to be." It's particularly galling when they prove completely outmatched once on the floor. May be there's a fail chance I just haven't seen yet.

We should all start punching people as soon as we log in, to test this. For science.

Well, I mean. I haven't seen any codes in arm that have a fail chance, and a critical fail chance, but no chance of success. So I've just been sort of assuming there's a chance of success. I don't really know. Could be it's not that way for a reason. My characters have never survived long enough to figure it out.

I don't think you actually do get a chance to pick them up, if you do, color me surprised.

You can't pick someone out of their seat with brawl code.

If someone is sufficiently good enough at brawling, you can counter their attempt to grab your shoulder.

Whenever I had a character who would try to brawl people who wouldn't get out of their seats, I would emote about smacking and hitting at them while they're seating. The phrase "in a manner that would prove extremely irritating" was used.

I don't really think having a system where you can pull someone up out of their seat (barring subdue) just to flex some coded muscle with the brawl code is really necessary.

Quote from: Potaje on June 14, 2012, 06:57:47 PM
sneak

hide

hemote heads into the tavern trailing a rope attached to an inix with the tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak standing next to it.

hemote letting length after length of rope out, while moving subtly through the crowd towards ~amos sitting at the ~bar @ snickers ever so softly to &me

hemote trying as he may to be unnoticed @ ties off the end of the length of rope to the stool ~amos sits on.

:steps back a few paces from ~amos, clears his throat trying to get ^amos attention.

shout (with a laugh in his voice) NOW!

echo to room from the north: With a loud meaty slap of flesh to flesh a someone shouts in sirihish " Heyah!"

The man at the bar looks at you then out towards the road, still sitting on his stool.

echo to room: You hear a scream cry out from the north as some one shouts in shirihish "Oh Fee_..!

Hemote you look down at the slack rope which only jostled.

The man at the bar notices you looking down and looks down to see the rope tied to his stool.

l n (swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road)

Swallowing hard, glancing quickly to the road, you look north:

near

A tall figure in a hot pink fur hemmed cloak is fighting an inix
An inix is here fight a figure in a hot pink fur lined cloak.

weakly squeaking, glancing back to the man sitting at the bar, you say in sirihish: "now."

:turns you dart off as the man begins to stand cursing at you.

Run north

Potaje.

I <3 you so hard.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: MeTekillot on June 14, 2012, 08:42:09 PM
You can't pick someone out of their seat with brawl code.

If someone is sufficiently good enough at brawling, you can counter their attempt to grab your shoulder.

Whenever I had a character who would try to brawl people who wouldn't get out of their seats, I would emote about smacking and hitting at them while they're seating. The phrase "in a manner that would prove extremely irritating" was used.

I don't really think having a system where you can pull someone up out of their seat (barring subdue) just to flex some coded muscle with the brawl code is really necessary.

I think it is. Why have that code at all otherwise?

On one side of things, as much as people idle while in taverns it prevents someone who is afk from getting dragged out of their stool and into a fight while they aren't there to respond to it.

Quote from: A Large Bag on June 14, 2012, 09:55:53 PM
On one side of things, as much as people idle while in taverns it prevents someone who is afk from getting dragged out of their stool and into a fight while they aren't there to respond to it.

But on the other side, some people get a free ticket to talk hard shit-- knowing you can't really do anything to 'em 'cause they're seated.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone try to brawl an unresponsive, afk person.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 14, 2012, 10:04:31 PM
But on the other side, some people get a free ticket to talk hard shit-- knowing you can't really do anything to 'em 'cause they're seated.

Yes, I have seen that happen. Maybe an "unseat" command that works like the brawl code except to attempt to get someone off their seat? Have different echoes like brawl depending on success or failure with a few different possible options for how the attempt happens whether it's kicking their stool out from under them or grabbing them and yanking them out of their seat, etc.

Screw you guys, I'm just going to go right on believing brawl code already does this.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 10:10:32 PM
Screw you guys, I'm just going to go right on believing brawl code already does this.

I'm confident the only way to "unseat" another PC is by using subdue, kill, or some kind of aggressive magick.

Confident, but not sure. This is the margin where my hopes and dreams live.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 14, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
Confident, but not sure. This is the margin where my hopes and dreams live.

Let's play with Crim Code!

I'm with RGS on this one.  Pretty sure I've seen someone dragged up with the brawl code, don't feel like digging through my logs to remember in which one.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Morgenes on November 20, 2008, 10:13:36 AM
The reason why militia overlooks brawls is it's a mutual fight that both participants want. If you're dragging someone off their stool to participate in the fight, then you are going beyond the accepted status quo on what a brawl is, you are forcing someone to participate in the fight when they don't want to.  Hence why you need to subdue them to get this, and hence why the militia would get involved at that point and therefore why we don't let you do that with anything less than the subdue command.

Found here: http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,33177.0.html

I knew I had read this from a staffer somewhere before.

Mother fucker. Damn. Thanks though, Bag, for finding the info.

Thanks Bag, that kinda answers the chance of getting some kind of kicking the stool out from under them thing to happen.