Speech personalization - Tones

Started by Incognito, June 11, 2012, 05:18:04 AM

June 11, 2012, 05:18:04 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:19:36 AM by Incognito
I have been contemplating something along the lines of a PC's mood being reflected in their tone - to add to the flavor of speech on Zalanthas.

A "change tone" command, which will allow us to set a temporary tone to our speech.

Example:
change tone bored
say hello

What others see:
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish in a bored tone, "Hello".

Of course, we do have the option to emote this manually, but this command / option will allow players to set and retain a specific tone, for a longer period of time, to better reflect a PC's speech/state of mind/mood.

Also, it will allow additional flexibility to set permanent speech types (if you so wish to have your character portray them).

Examples of permanent tones:
nasal
hushed
gruff
smooth

Examples of temporary tones:
secretive
sarcastic
irritated
infatuated

Whats the general take on this? Yes? No? Suggestions?

The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

They had this on Harshlands when I played there years ago. I'm indifferent. We have the alias command in game already though so in the short term if you want to do this now ... just alias "say" to "say (in a bored tone)" and there you go.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Good call, should've thought of that in the first place Musashi!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

I've been on games with coded tones, and in my experience everyone just sets one and leaves it on forever. The creepiest were the people who used "sweetly." It made them sound like very sarcastic serial killers.

Quote from: Sav on June 11, 2012, 06:01:43 AM
I've been on games with coded tones, and in my experience everyone just sets one and leaves it on forever. The creepiest were the people who used "sweetly." It made them sound like very sarcastic serial killers.

Yeah, this is how people did it on another RPI I played and I hated it.

Yeah, really not down with this idea. I think the emote functionality is great, and reminds people to keep on top of how their character is feeling. They might sound sad, but one comment from someone might perk them up briefly...peoples tone can be quite fickle!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 11, 2012, 09:23:48 AM
Quote from: Sav on June 11, 2012, 06:01:43 AM

Yeah, this is how people did it on another RPI I played and I hated it.

I agree with everyone that our emote system works wonderfully.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Challenge: Every time you use Say, Tell, Yell or Sing, make sure you command emote your tone, pitch or stress pattern.

I think maybe having something like this for the shout system would be nice. Instead of me not being able to tell if that female voice on the other side of the door is She-stump my warrior guard or Lady Templar Wantsyoudead.

Not for that specific functionality. Could we just be able to set it so the way our voice sounds is portrayed in shout?