New Command: Temote

Started by Morrolan, May 29, 2012, 09:05:30 PM

Temote

This would be like "talk" but for emotes.  People at the same table would see the emote message, while others would use "watch" to detect it.  Temote would start with:

At your table, (or what-have you...the same idea as the "talk" preface)

So we would have:

At your table, the tall, broad man fingers his steel sword's edge and smiles.

You notice: At the round, stone table, the tall, broad man fingers his steel sword's edge and smiles.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

May 29, 2012, 09:08:02 PM #1 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:10:30 PM by A Large Bag
I don't see any particular purpose to this except to try and hide emotes from other people in the room who aren't at your table. We have emotes to do things sneaky-like. What other purpose would this serve?

If something like this did exist, it should be possible to "watch table" and see all of those being done by anyone sitting at that table.

May 29, 2012, 09:11:43 PM #2 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 09:26:21 PM by Morrolan
Quote from: A Large Bag on May 29, 2012, 09:08:02 PM
If something like this did exist, it should be possible to "watch table" and see all of those being done by anyone sitting at that table.

That is an excellent addition, ALB.

Quote from: A Large Bag on May 29, 2012, 09:08:02 PM
I don't see any particular purpose to this except to try and hide emotes from other people in the room who aren't at your table. We have emotes to do things sneaky-like. What other purpose would this serve?

It is unreasonable that anyone in, say, the Gaj, would be able to know every time everyone emotes at every table.  Yet that is exactly what the code provides today.  We might not hear the conversation at every table, but we see all of the emotes.  We see every smile, every knowing look, and every gesticulated hand. Temote would provide the opportunity to share such things only with one's own table.

I really like ALB's suggestion of "watch table" as well, although a certain amount of this can already be done with "watch person". Watch, as is does already, would provide an opportunity for other characters to visually "eavesdrop."

-Edit- to incorporate suggestions. Thanks!
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Targeted emotes would also be really useful. I'm pretty sure they already exist and that imms have used them.

themote coconspirator subtly points out ~2.elf and then blinks ^me eyes twice

May 30, 2012, 02:06:32 AM #5 Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:13:48 AM by A Large Bag
Quote from: Morrolan on May 29, 2012, 09:11:43 PM
It is unreasonable that anyone in, say, the Gaj, would be able to know every time everyone emotes at every table.  Yet that is exactly what the code provides today.  We might not hear the conversation at every table, but we see all of the emotes.  We see every smile, every knowing look, and every gesticulated hand. Temote would provide the opportunity to share such things only with one's own table.

At the same time, I'm not sure that allowing players to decide what emotes others can see if they aren't watching or not either is reasonable either. Some actions, would be noticable whether one is closely focused on them or not and this would leave it entirely in the hands of the person doing the emotes. Not sure that this is fair to those in the room. One can use temote to hide things that would be noticeable even to people not closely focused on the table but also nearby. The idea would just take control of it from people on one side to decide what others notice and put it in the hands of the other side to decide. Then, it is unbalanced from the other direction.
Temote would have to allow for anyone in the room to have a chance of noticing it whether watching or not.

"watch table" = See all emotes from people at that table except for maybe hemote and semote.
Passive = See all emotes with a chance of seeing temotes at any table in the room.

I think now that we have a watch skill that works passively even if you aren't watching anyone in particular ... it would be a-ok to allow targeted emotes, table emotes, the whole ball of wax.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

That would be so cool, do them all.

I disagree with the idea.

People need to be more mindful of who their character is WATCHING and use the excellently coded skill available to them already.

And I like taverns busy with emotes because it creates easily skimmable noise which is useful.

The concept is fair but watching and hemote does the trick, and taverns would get stupidly quiet if it were implemented.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I would contend that some, like myself, would emote twice as much, if not more.

Quote from: Harmless on May 31, 2012, 09:17:00 AM
taverns would get stupidly quiet if it were implemented.

I think this is an interesting point.  Sure there would be virtual noise, and echos... but PC noise does do wonders for immersion.

I still don't stand on one side or the other of the idea.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on May 31, 2012, 04:36:29 PM
Quote from: Harmless on May 31, 2012, 09:17:00 AM
taverns would get stupidly quiet if it were implemented.
I think this is an interesting point.  Sure there would be virtual noise, and echos... but PC noise does do wonders for immersion.

A very good point.

Instead of adding a temote command, add the ability to watch tables with the chance to see all hemotes done at that table, with corresponding penalty for passive watch to catch anything elsewhere.

Add penalty to watch if drunk, if not already implemented?

Quote from: Harmless on May 31, 2012, 09:26:28 PM

This!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on May 31, 2012, 09:33:15 PM
Quote from: Harmless on May 31, 2012, 09:26:28 PM

This!

And a penalty to hemote, semote, and temote for being drunk as well. People who are most intoxicated in a bar tend to stand out a bit more compared to more sober patrons on average.

I would particularly like this for those spammy social RPTs.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Yam on May 30, 2012, 12:12:38 AM
Targeted emotes would also be really useful. I'm pretty sure they already exist and that imms have used them.

themote coconspirator subtly points out ~2.elf and then blinks ^me eyes twice

My thought on this was that 'grouping' from Diku should be brought back.  Not so that you can see group members hitpoints, not so that you can keep progress of them in other rooms...but a modified group made more for organization.  Group members are essentially 'working together', and a hidden group member is always a strange shadow to you.  Hidden emotes are visible to group members.  Mostly useful for sneaky types who are actually coordinating, and perhaps, for wilderness groups, so that 'assist' could have you jump in with the first group member who is engaged by default.

Something like that.  I never really thought of it as entirely necessary though.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Maybe you could work that off of follow code.

Diku group code and modifying follow is sounding too cumbersome for an rpi. Reaaly I think this is fine as is, and I stand by my point that people use hemote and watch too infrequently as is, and should get in the habit of using them more.

Drunk code can always use enhancements for flavor and intrigue.

Well I mean, they already made it so that following makes you hear conversations at tables easily. Not too far a leap to also allow them to see hemotes and semotes better.

I think...  Don't know much about code. However when coming up with ideas the last thing you should worry about is how hard it is to code. Mostly because you probably know nothing of how hard it is, and partially because that's for staff to determine anyways.

I agree that watch is very underused.

Quote from: Harmless on June 01, 2012, 03:45:34 PM
I stand by my point that people use hemote and watch too infrequently as is, and should get in the habit of using them more.

This. Also, you don't HAVE to react to every emote you(the player) see because your PC WOULDN'T see everything going on around them.