new command: block <target>?

Started by najdorf, May 25, 2012, 11:41:55 AM

not sure if this has been discussed before.. This is already in place for guarding a single direction: guard <direction>

syntax:
block <target>
Skill used: Guard
Bonus for blocker: Agility
Bonus for target: Agility, running status
success rate: Definitely lower than the actual guard <direction>

The tall, blonde man stands here.

block tall
You stepped closer to the tall, blonde man, blocking his path.

The tall, blonde man tries to walk south but you blocked his path.

The tall, blonde man tries to walk east but you blocked his path.

You failed to block the tall, blonde man as he walked away from you to the east.

It has many goods. For instance, it will prevent people from unrealistically spam running to a random direction in a [NESW] area when raided..

Any thoughts?

May 25, 2012, 11:59:15 AM #2 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:04:27 PM by A Large Bag
This is a good idea. I think strength should play into it too though. If I'm bigger and stronger than you and you try to block me, I'm going to just shove you out of my way. Maybe a combination of strength and agility playing into it. Maybe, agility+skill vs. agility+skill for getting in the way and attempting to block. Str+skill vs str+skill to see if you can stop them once you've gotten in the way.

If you want to stop someone from going anywhere, have the power to do so.  Either subdue them, incapacitate them (several ways to do that), or have all exits blocked.  If someone is spam running away from your elaborately-planned, well-RP'd raiding scene, you need to spam knock them the fuck out.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on May 25, 2012, 12:11:24 PM
If you want to stop someone from going anywhere, have the power to do so.  Either subdue them, incapacitate them (several ways to do that), or have all exits blocked.  If someone is spam running away from your elaborately-planned, well-RP'd raiding scene, you need to spam knock them the fuck out.

true but i also believe players would prefer less hostile ways, if it was possible. it will be just a soft warning to the victim, rather than an instant KO. on the other side, from the victim's perspective: if someone tried to subdue my super dangerous character, i would annihilate them but blocking my path would give more room for rp

Quote from: najdorf on May 25, 2012, 01:23:22 PM
Quote from: Nyr on May 25, 2012, 12:11:24 PM

true but i also believe players would prefer less hostile ways, if it was possible. it will be just a soft warning to the victim, rather than an instant KO. on the other side, from the victim's perspective: if someone tried to subdue my super dangerous character, i would annihilate them but blocking my path would give more room for rp

Good point.

Quoteif someone tried to subdue my super dangerous character, i would annihilate them but blocking my path would give more room for rp

Or just a 5 second delay before you annihilate them to get rid of their blocking.

As much as people escaping bugs me, this just seems superfluous. Between guard, subdue, bash, and straight up zerg rushing people, there's lots of tools already in place to keep people in one place.

May 25, 2012, 01:38:38 PM #8 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:02:46 PM by Drayab
I don't think one person, in the middle of the desert, can reasonably block another person from running off in an arbitrary direction. Blocking one direction, sure, but to stop them from going anywhere, seems like you should need (3 or 4) friends to surround them or else lay hands on them (bash or subdue). That's how the code works now, and I think it makes perfect sense.

What I would like to see is some kind of approach code, such that if somebody tries to walk out while you've got their attention, you get a chance of an action. For example, approach amos subdue will try to subdue amos if he tries to leave the room.

Edited: pardon my stupidity

Quote from: Drayab on May 25, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
What I would like to see is some kind of approach code

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on May 25, 2012, 01:49:36 PM
Quote from: Drayab on May 25, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
What I would like to see is some kind of approach code

I think this has enterred the official "Nyr needs this as his Avatar" competition.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Yeah, yeah. I am aware I'm not the first to come up with this idea, and probably implementation is not as easy as it is in my head.

But just for fun, let me expand on this idea a little. Call the new command threaten, and it takes a target and an aggressive action as parameters. It echos to the victim '<aggressor> looks at you threateningly,' and it echos to the aggressor 'You prepare to <action> <victim> if they make a run for it.' The action triggers if the victim tries to flee self or run/walk in a direction, and it gets cancelled if the victim somehow ends up in combat. The aggressor gets one shot which prevents movement if it succeeds, and the victim gets away if it fails. Perhaps flee works better for escape than just walking/running.

The aggressor doesn't lose any opportunity that could have been had by using the aggressive action directly, and the victim doesn't lose anything except a chance to spam run from a raider that came in to rp.

That's actually a neat idea.  No idea how feasible, but it's a really cool idea, and could help counter people who spam walk away from everyone always.

I don't see any way a person could simply run around getting in someones way so much that they can't leave an area -- any effective "blocking" seems like it's going to involve some level of grabbing, shoving, etc.  This makes it sound just like another iteration of subdue, really.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

What about a guard ability that works during combat?  Also, does guarding a doorway exit work better than guardian a regular exit, because it seems like it really should because of it being narrower?

Quote from: Ktavialt on May 25, 2012, 03:50:48 PM
What about a guard ability that works during combat?  Also, does guarding a doorway exit work better than guardian a regular exit, because it seems like it really should because of it being narrower?

It's called bash.

How exactly could you (mundanely) block someone's egress in a 360 degree manner, without being vastly more quick or agile?

There are at least 4 combat skills, 2 poisons, and several magick/psionic abilities related to keeping people from retreating that a) work and b) are more realistic than this.

The only instances where it would make sense are those times where the "blocking" PC is in fact vastly quicker or more agile.  It might apply to elves vs. dwarves or humans, and under other circumstances that I'm not going to talk about.  At any rate, it wouldn't be skill-based, it would be stat-based, or stat-based -and- skill-based.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I didn't assume it'd just autowork when I posted my approval.  But yeah, if Joey "Poor Agility" Dwarf is trying to run from Johnny "AI Agility" Elf?  Johnny should be able to stab Joey in the ass with his spear the moment Joey tries to run forcing him to use flee to escape, and giving a round or whatever for a bash to go off.  Instead, right now, Joey can just do run;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;n;e;n;e;n;n;e;e;n;w;s;w;s;w and be completely unrealistically free of Johnny.

Sure Peraine, Heramide, bash, etc. exist.  But you don't always want to be the person to actually initiate violence if you're looking to raid/discuss/threaten/intimidate, unless they decide to run for various reasons (Certain spell effects, not wanting the raided person to die, monologuing, etc.) Though, one immediate issue I can see with it already is that it seems as if it would give delves yet another boost if it went into effect as you said above, Synthesis.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 25, 2012, 04:32:38 PM
The only instances where it would make sense are those times where the "blocking" PC is in fact vastly quicker or more agile.  It might apply to elves vs. dwarves or humans, and under other circumstances that I'm not going to talk about.  At any rate, it wouldn't be skill-based, it would be stat-based, or stat-based -and- skill-based.

Quote from: A Large BagMaybe a combination of strength and agility playing into it. Maybe, agility+skill vs. agility+skill for getting in the way and attempting to block. Str+skill vs str+skill to see if you can stop them once you've gotten in the way.

Quote from: Drayab on May 25, 2012, 04:03:09 PM
It's called bash.
Well this sure was an unnecessarily scathing reply to my genuine question, not to mention also incorrect and even to the extent that it does work, it overlooks scenarios where bash is insufficient.

So, up yours too buddy.

Quote from: maxid on May 25, 2012, 05:03:42 PM
I didn't assume it'd just autowork when I posted my approval.  But yeah, if Joey "Poor Agility" Dwarf is trying to run from Johnny "AI Agility" Elf?  Johnny should be able to stab Joey in the ass with his spear the moment Joey tries to run forcing him to use flee to escape, and giving a round or whatever for a bash to go off.  Instead, right now, Joey can just do run;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;n;e;n;e;n;n;e;e;n;w;s;w;s;w and be completely unrealistically free of Johnny.

Sure Peraine, Heramide, bash, etc. exist.  But you don't always want to be the person to actually initiate violence if you're looking to raid/discuss/threaten/intimidate, unless they decide to run for various reasons (Certain spell effects, not wanting the raided person to die, monologuing, etc.) Though, one immediate issue I can see with it already is that it seems as if it would give delves yet another boost if it went into effect as you said above, Synthesis.

Sounds like a 'threaten' command is what you want.  Search the numerous old threads about this for more.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Ktavialt on May 25, 2012, 05:31:50 PM
Quote from: Drayab on May 25, 2012, 04:03:09 PM
It's called bash.
Well this sure was an unnecessarily scathing reply to my genuine question, not to mention also incorrect and even to the extent that it does work, it overlooks scenarios where bash is insufficient.

So, up yours too buddy.

I didn't mean to be scathing.  :'(

I think bash works pretty well, though. It's not 100% effective, but then I don't think anything should be without risk.

May 25, 2012, 05:47:28 PM #22 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:49:17 PM by maxid
^^Drayab, you still didn't address his actual issue or question, you just snarkily quipped at him.  It was, and remains, unproductive.

Quote from: Synthesis on May 25, 2012, 05:33:40 PM
Sounds like a 'threaten' command is what you want.  Search the numerous old threads about this for more.

It was mentioned here in this thread too so I thought that it was being discussed, I see now that you were talking about the 'block' command, rather than the 'threaten' one, so my bad, I wasn't reading closely.

only if any other race trying to block a half-giant gets stepped on and instantly killed

Quote from: maxid on May 25, 2012, 05:47:28 PM
^^Drayab, you still didn't address his actual issue or question, you just snarkily quipped at him.  It was, and remains, unproductive.

I sincerely apologize for any perceived snark. It was not intended.

I thought the 'guard ability that works during combat' was being propsed as a way to stop people from fleeing while in combat, like how the block <person> is being proposed as a way to stop someone from running away outside of combat. Bash works for exactly this purpose, as does charge. What am I missing?