Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

May 17, 2012, 06:22:35 PM #150 Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:39:19 PM by Schrodingers Cat
Quote from: Nyr on May 17, 2012, 02:31:19 PM
Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 01:48:02 PM
I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.
I can think of several things that came to fruition largely because "this is something we want to do in Reborn" happened to mesh with "this is something we can actually start on now with current code."

When one weighs the pros and cons, unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros.  Though I appreciate your attempts to put a positive spin on things.  At least things are getting back on track and we can put this mistake behind us.

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 06:22:35 PM
I guess I was hoping something good would come out of all the work done and all the sacrifices made.
I can think of several things that came to fruition largely because "this is something we want to do in Reborn" happened to mesh with "this is something we can actually start on now with current code."

When one weighs the pros and cons, unfortunately the cons outweigh the pros.  Though I appreciate your attempts to put a positive spin on things.  At least things are getting back on track and we can put this mistake behind us.

Again, just your opinion. I'm personally very excited about the upcoming code, however long it may take, and think of this as a positive opportunity, at least as a new Staffer.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on May 17, 2012, 06:22:35 PM

Yeah... I disagree. But that's ok.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Disappointed. :(
Quote from: Nyr>mount corpse

Apt.

I want Arma 1.0 to grow in size. In terms of playerbase, especially.

Fact is, Arma 2.0 woulda sliced up Arma 1.0's playerbase. It may have never recovered.

Now the staff will be working a little more towards adding to Arma 1.0 in a way that will bring in new players.

Huzzah.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I suggest putting an update on the main site for the people who do not read the GDB.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What I'd love to see from all of this is for cities to become more built up.
I was most exited for roof-tops, dense alleyways (think the alleys of Red Storm,
without the *spoliers*)

I'd love to see Allanak and Tuluk with rooftops, and then warrens within the quarters that
snake around the main streets.

But yeah.

Not really miffed either way about Arm 2 being cancelled.

Quote from: Trance on May 18, 2012, 06:57:26 AM
What I'd love to see from all of this is for cities to become more built up.
I'd love to see Allanak and Tuluk with rooftops, and then warrens within the quarters that
snake around the main streets.

Yes, me too.

Quote from: Adj on May 18, 2012, 12:57:13 PM
Arm 2 was just canceled. Business as usual. Does not mean the whole game will change in the blink of an e-

WTF?!?!

There is a request tool?
WTF?!?!

And a THINK command.

Totally new.

THe hell. hemote semote

REALLY?! SWEET!

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Maybe I'll start playing again! :)

To the staff:  Well done. 

That's for the efforts on 2.arm, for maintaining 1.arm while 2.arm was on-going, and for being able to make the decision to stop 2.arm when you felt it was time to make that decision.  Full kudos and respect from me!  You all are doing a great job from everything that I've heard and seen of late.

Keep up the awesomness.

And then all the coded area already drawn up for 2.Arm was placed on the other side of the Silt Sea and is ready to explore right now, today...

Except it will take 12 more years to find this out for face, because YAY SILT SKIMMERS.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on May 18, 2012, 03:16:05 PM
And then all the coded area already drawn up for 2.Arm was placed on the other side of the Silt Sea and is ready to explore right now, today...

Except it will take 12 more years to find this out for face, because YAY SILT SKIMMERS.

Magickal Portals

Duh
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I will lead a mob to kill all the "witches" who step out of said portals.

Quote from: marko on May 18, 2012, 03:06:48 PM
Maybe I'll start playing again! :)

To the staff:  Well done. 

That's for the efforts on 2.arm, for maintaining 1.arm while 2.arm was on-going, and for being able to make the decision to stop 2.arm when you felt it was time to make that decision.  Full kudos and respect from me!  You all are doing a great job from everything that I've heard and seen of late.

Keep up the awesomness.

You should come back..all the cool kids are doing it ;)
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

You know, whenever I would hear people talk about how Armageddon Reborn is not going to happen, I would think to myself that they're wrong, that it will happen, and that it will help the game and players in a myriad of ways.  I really never doubted it much, so this announcement really surprises me.  But you know, in the back of my mind I always kinda worried that such a drastic change might be the ultimate downfall of Armageddon as we know it, and wouldn't that be sad for people who have been involved with this game for over a decade now?  Starting an entirely new game while shutting down the old one would have been a gamble, and maybe it's for the best that such a gamble isn't taken.

Many people over the course of years have generated lots of discussions and idea about Arm 2.0.  I think it would be good to not just completely discard all of those ideas, and not just code ideas -- that kind of stuff is great and absolutely necessary, but story ideas and the fiction aspects are important too, while also being a lot easier to implement. But hell, I will still love Armageddon regardless of what happens on the front, and I'm glad to see that most people are positive about this announcement.

Eh, I never figured it was going to happen.

Quote from: jstorrie on May 20, 2012, 05:33:59 AM
Eh, I never figured it was going to happen.
Yeah I think after the first year-long delay I kinda figured it wouldn't happen.

I'm happy as hell, overall. I'm familiar with this world. Anywhere else would really just feel alien. I do hope we can see some of the ideas, particularly the world-based ones, slowly shift to be melded with this world, but in the end, I'm really just ok with what we've got.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Oof! I'm a bit bummed that so much time and energy has gone into Arm 2.0...However, I love the current incarnation of the game and it has felt a bit like there has been less energy put into it for the last...6 years....So to have the staffs focus back on Arm 1.0 would be awesome...but it would be nice to have things shaken up a bit. The game is feeling a little stale. Bring some of that new shiny from 2.0 over!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

A couple of points:

1.  As we have mentioned before about Arm 2, there was very little overlap in staff effort on both games.  There was some at an administrative level and a little at the coding level, but the staff's focus (as you have seen it) has been on the current game.  As also mentioned before, there are a host of code, gameworld, request tool, etc. changes made to Arm 1 that have occurred in the past 6 years, some of which would not have occurred without Arm 2.

2.  If you have not played the game for more than 6 years and are recently coming back from a hiatus, it seems to me at least like it'd be difficult to assess the game at all from that point of view.  If it has been "getting a bit stale," it has "always been stale" from your perspective.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Mmm, no I definitely don't think it has always been stale. And I didn't take a six year hiatus.

I guess, there was a whole of activity centered around the end of world plots. It all got very exciting, with the world changing in dramatic ways...quickly and over a fairly short period of time. And then it all slowed right down. Which is fine...But it seems like a bit of a come down. And people like excitement - don't they?

I'm definitely on the side of the people that miss 'staff led plots'. I totally agree with plots being mostly player driven, but in order to add new and exciting things to the core of the Zalanthan world - that takes the staff. Otherwise it gets a bit samey.

It would be refreshing to see some big stuff change in the game. Like...scrap Tuluk! New city on the other side of the silt sea...and silt wars...or anything really...just a new era. Bring back raiders and aggressive d-elves.

I've read enough to think that I am not alone in thinking that the game as has slowed down...so why be defensive about it? It's not a personal attack on staff, it's just an opinion from the perspective of a player. And perhaps a hiatus makes it easier to make a comparison between how it was then and how it is now. Having not been led through it with gradual adjustments change.

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I definitely *don't* miss the end-of-the-world plots. They were fun for a while, then it just got to be way too much.

It felt, at times, like an RP-encouraged h/s rather than the RPI we all know and love.

Haha yeah. They were a bit intense and over the top. But I'd quite like to see a smattering of that 'action', just every now and again.

Plus, I missed the rain. Make it rain again. :<

Hey look, anecdote about subjective opinions.

Also the thread has cycled twice already. Maybe closing and stickying it will make people read all the posts that have answered peoples questions and misconceptions.