Armageddon 2 Cancelled - discussion thread

Started by Adhira, May 15, 2012, 10:08:10 PM

The fact of the matter with code is we have an extremely limited resource with respect to coders.  Arm 2's code base will not be sucking time from any of them but me, and that will be as I feel like it.  So don't expect JavaMUG's engine anytime soon.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on May 16, 2012, 10:23:20 AM
The fact of the matter with code is we have an extremely limited resource with respect to coders.  Arm 2's code base will not be sucking time from any of them but me, and that will be as I feel like it.  So don't expect JavaMUG's engine anytime soon.

Does it take a long time to learn to be a coder? I wouldn't mind volunteering if there are resources to look at and the staff would accept them, but I also don't know anything about code right now.  :D
"And all around is the desert; a corner of the mournful kingdom of sand."
   - Pierre Loti

Quote from: Semper on May 16, 2012, 10:26:14 AM
Does it take a long time to learn to be a coder? I wouldn't mind volunteering if there are resources to look at and the staff would accept them, but I also don't know anything about code right now.  :D

C                   [advanced]         C++                 [advanced]
Java                [novice]           database design     [novice]
J2EE                [novice]           Javascript          [apprentice]
Spring framework    [lol unbranched]   Hibernate framework [lol unbranched]
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I learned to code for Diku MUDs by downloading a Diku derivative (Merc II for the record) and playing with it to get it to do what I wanted.  That said, by that point I'd already had a year of high school programming experience, and a couple of semesters of college level programming classes.  Ultimately, it comes up to your desire to do it.  You could pick up a book on C programming (I recommend The C Programming Language), and read it and then start playing with it.

For the JavaMUG engine, Brytta's post on Java, J2EE, Spring and Hibernate are all needed.

But to be honest, if you don't know anything about coding, we won't be able to really use you until you are at least familiar with C and working with things like filesystems, databases and socket communication.  Ideally, you'd be familiar with MUD programming in general.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Programming can be learned without any academic experience, depending on your drive and motivation to learn it as well as time you can commit. But keep in mind it takes months or years to become proficient, not days.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

I'm pretty happy about this as well and not at all surprised.  It seems like every MUD that closes announcing a brand new awesome codebase/world in 6 months always fade away into nothing.  I'm incredibly glad we have a professional staff that kept the current game going (I'm bummed I missed out on some of the end of the world stuff, it sounds like it was the shit).  I didn't ragequit but did feel some apathy after the original announcement and then real life happened (in a good way) and I couldn't play.

I have other stuff I want to say but it's a derail so it's going in RAT.

Is there any chance that some of the areas built for 2.0 could be used to pad 1.0?  We haven't had a new area go in in probably 12 years now.

Quote from: Old Kank on May 16, 2012, 11:54:48 AM
Is there any chance that some of the areas built for 2.0 could be used to pad 1.0?  We haven't had a new area go in in probably 12 years now.

Yeah, I'd like to see some of the material that was written used to expand the coded gameworld too.

Quote from: Nyr on May 16, 2012, 08:38:31 AM
Quote from: FightClub on May 15, 2012, 10:59:41 PM
I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.

Wait, how are you not permanently banned from the GDB?  Begone, foul creature!

LOL that made my morning...errr um afternoon.. whatever. I wonder how many of those people stayed gone...
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Quote from: A Large Bag on May 16, 2012, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: Old Kank on May 16, 2012, 11:54:48 AM
Is there any chance that some of the areas built for 2.0 could be used to pad 1.0?  We haven't had a new area go in in probably 12 years now.

Yeah, I'd like to see some of the material that was written used to expand the coded gameworld too.

That would be really fucking awesome, as long as they aren't civilized -- wilderness areas wouldn't dilute the player-base, at least after the initial novelty factor is over.

I seriously doubt any individual has seen all of the ~30,000 rooms, though...
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

May 16, 2012, 01:37:12 PM #110 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:50:45 PM by Malken
Quote from: Feco on May 16, 2012, 01:18:04 PM

Please tell me exactly where you've seen/read that Armageddon has ~30,000 rooms ...

Hm, I made my own research and the TMS site says that:

World Size: Gigantic (20001+ rooms)

Weird! (but in a good way.)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

May 16, 2012, 01:42:43 PM #111 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:52:05 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Fredd on May 16, 2012, 01:21:59 AM
Alot of people died on both sides.

Personally i think it's possible. prove me wrong. App an apropriate noble, and try it. If it's shot down from above after everything is perfect. I'll mail you a dollar.

I was really hoping he could post some examples of this happening in the past, in order to prove us wrong. I remember Nyr absolutely quashing the last attempt someone tried to make of insisting that staff were stopping large-scale conflict from happening. Wish I could find those posts.

Edit:
Ergh, my search-fu blows. I did however find this very interesting thread. http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,39640.0.html

In answer to the question about whether we might use rooms, ideas etc etc from the Arm 2 proposals/building that has gone on.  I have answered this previously in the post and in the actual announcement in staff announcements. However, I will copy and paste once more:

It is possible that over time we will consider some of the proposed ideas and projects for incorporation to the Armageddon world and we will utilize what we have compiled as an ideas database.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: Malken on May 16, 2012, 01:37:12 PM
Quote from: Feco on May 16, 2012, 01:18:04 PM

Please tell me exactly where you've seen/read that Armageddon has ~30,000 rooms ...

Hm, I made my own research and the TMS site says that:

World Size: Gigantic (20001+ rooms)

Weird! (but in a good way.)

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,38576.0.html

Quote from: VanthThere are 29198 rooms, 21622 objects, and 7876 npcs in the game.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I'm glad you all decided to make a lot of your base rage quit with the two year prior announcement, then decided to cancel that six years later. Good decision.

Hah! <3  :D

Quote from: Winterless on May 16, 2012, 02:01:09 PM

Hah! <3  :D

heheh seriously <3 Nyr
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

What excuse are you guys going to use now to avoid doing work/not update and or modernize the current game?  ;D

Just kidding. Volunteer staffing is hardworks.

May 16, 2012, 03:25:22 PM #117 Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:34:58 PM by Sokotra
So when is Arm 2 going to be completed?  I'm starting to get tired of waiting and I've ran out of money to spend on my doomsday armageddon bunker so I may not have enough ammunition and food/water supplies to be able to last through the impending extinction-level event in order to play Armageddon 2 once you guys get the emergency network up and running so we can enjoy the post-apocalyptic playground from the comfort of our underground, concrete and steel reinforced bunkers (with nuclear, biological, and chemical protection of course) without having to venture out into the radiated and pandemic-infested wasteland and waste valuable resources that could be better spent while peacefully perched in our chairs in front of our linked-in computer terminal...

I was interested to note that my first reaction was I felt sick.  Probably at seeing someone's bright hopes die.
At least now, for the first time in six years , I can stop worrying about my PCs being snatched untimely from their lives.

Quote from: Karieith on May 16, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
What excuse are you guys going to use now to avoid doing work/not update and or modernize the current game?  ;D

Just kidding. Volunteer staffing is hardworks.

We don't need an excuse. I'm pretty happy with just saying 'no'.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

The short, bearded man sheds a tear for all the dursa concepts and stories he has in his proportionally oversized head.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

There were/are so many different rumors/stories floating around out there...
What exactly were the issues with WotC?
Are they resolved now?
How were they resolved?
Is staff finished un-Dark-Sun'ing the game?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Programming is a dark, pedantic world full of neckbeards and Lovecraftian lingo.

Once you're in, you can never leave.

I knew someone who started working with diku code. They got a facsimile of Armageddon's emote code working.

I have not heard from them in over a year.

Sorry to hear about Arm2 being cancelled, since it seemed to have great promise and because so much work has been put into it.

Glad to hear Arm1 isn't going to end (because of Arm2), and I hope we'll see Arm2 stuff going into Arm1 where suitable.