Would you like fries with that?

Started by I'm drinkin Molson, August 11, 2003, 08:30:07 PM

I find it is pretty much necessary to find employment in Armageddon in able to buy those fancy things we all like, such as leather thongs and whips.
With this in mind, there should be a large variety of jobs in the world of Zalanthas.  Some being more unique and interesting than others.
Which one has been the most interesting or rewarding for you?  Or maybe which one has been the worst?

Use descretion in your answers if you could.

A templar paid one of my magickers to basically just sit in his temple all the time and twink out. I swear to freakin' god, just sit there and cast and practice. I didn't really care much for spending all my free time casting, recovering, casting, recovering, have a check up with the templar, repeat, so I retired.

On the flip side, I really wish I continued that character and didn't retire him. He wasn't very old and had a lot going for him. I hate myself.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"A templar paid one of my magickers to basically just sit in his temple all the time and twink out.
I had the same job, but bailed on the templar rather than retire the char.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

This might be the most frightening thing ever...but I had the same job as well.

My guess is that it's pretty common, shrug.  Templar gets to add a loaded gun to their metaphorical holster and the witch is kept somewhat occupied and out of trouble, if not overly bored.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "I'm drinkin Molson"I find it is pretty much necessary to find employment in Armageddon in able to buy those fancy things we all like, such as leather thongs and whips.
-ANYWAY- mainly I would disagree with this statement:  surest way to curtail your income is to take a job.  (Of course, completely different avenues open up once you join your clan or indy employers).  I sincerely doubt many people take employment for the coin to survive the day-to-day grind.

Coin is damn easy to make, if you know how to and are willing to take some risks. The main reason I join clans is for interaction and to get involved. I'd rather have a poor Kadius hunter who's friends with the whole town and involved in plots than a rich isolationist.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

On the other hand, some Houses (merchant and noble) pay a pretty nice wage, plus you get free food, shelter, uniform or clothing (depending on the job), gear/crafting tools (depending on the job), bonuses for doing a good job or extra work that isnt part of the job description. If you make your boss glad he/she hired you, he/she might pay for your apartment outside the estate in addition to all that, plus the occasional interesting knick-nack and present.

You have no need to spend any of your 'sids, because everything you "need" to survive is covered in your employment. So you can save up for that steel katana - or the super-size value meal :)

Most interesting and rewarding: Salarr merchant.  I would highly recommend this type of position to anyone, not necessarily as a family member.  I made a reasonable amount of money, I had a place to keep my things, and I was popular.  After all, everyone who wanted armor or weapons had to Way me or chat me up.  Flattery gets you everywhere.  I would say the more creative types should do this, as it might involve you writing up armor descriptions.

Worst: Spice hunter.  There was little money in it and I met few other PCs.  I had an emote-brawl with a VNPC in the bar and the two people there didn't respond to it.

My favorite job was being a traveling independent merchant & fortuneteller.  You get to socialize with people from all walks of life, and if you get bored you just move to another city for awhile.

The most monetarily rewarding was working for Borsail.  They pay the fat pouches of sid.  Working for more than one person/group at a time is also fairly lucrative & fun.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I'd have to say that I agree with Corinne. Salarri Merchants, if played well, are some of the most fun to play. As long as orders are going smoothly, no one wants to kill you, and -everyone- wants to be a friend to the weapons and arms merchant. Who wouldn't want a discount on that jewel-encrusted steel longsword? My Salarri was my longest lived character, and I miss her to this day.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

Worst for me was working for an independent pc who went ooc every three minutes and instructed my pc to twink ride for days on end. Night, sandstorms, no matter just me on my kank, not going anywhere. Or me standing by a table doing nothing. Ugh.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Corinne"Most interesting and rewarding: Salarr merchant.  I would highly recommend this type of position to anyone, not necessarily as a family member.  I made a reasonable amount of money, I had a place to keep my things, and I was popular.  After all, everyone who wanted armor or weapons had to Way me or chat me up.  Flattery gets you everywhere.  I would say the more creative types should do this, as it might involve you writing up armor descriptions.

Quote from: "SykotikGith"I'd have to say that I agree with Corinne. Salarri Merchants, if played well, are some of the most fun to play. As long as orders are going smoothly, no one wants to kill you, and -everyone- wants to be a friend to the weapons and arms merchant. Who wouldn't want a discount on that jewel-encrusted steel longsword? My Salarri was my longest lived character, and I miss her to this day.

I have to agree 100%. Salarr rocks, especially when you have an Imm like Xygax taking care of you.
* Shameless Salarr Imm Kudos *
I could be biased though.   :wink: