Brewing?

Started by Kebron, April 29, 2012, 07:00:51 PM

I've heard in other posts that brewing was 'broken' but noone went into the specifics of how, I've noticed that I seem to -never- fail at brewing, and without failure you can't increase a skill right? So basically you can't increase brewing? Or it just takes a rediculously long ammount of time? Or you hafta be making certain items which I have no idea what they are?
Just trying to figure out if I am wasting my time trying to learn brewing since it seems I never fail anyway.

You cannot fail with the brew command.

You can, however, fail with a craft skill requiring brewing.

The rest you should find out IC.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

that helps imensely.

As far as I know you don't fail at brew but you will get better at brew with use. More efficienct, quicker, etc.

It isn't broken at all. It's one of the more interesting crafting skills. But its help files may be out of date.

You can't brew alcohol.

Quote from: MeTekillot on April 30, 2012, 02:55:33 PM
You can't brew alcohol.

Incorrect; it is possible to brew alcohol.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

You can't brew alcohol using the brew command. You have to brew it the way you brew tea, but with different apparatus.

That is correct.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

At one time Perfumes and brewing vials of poison were -broken- in the sense that you could not use the vial of poison once made to anything, i.e. hold vial / poison mug of ale.

And perfume never left a scent once applied.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Wait, you can poison drinks with vials of poison?

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Find out IC.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on April 30, 2012, 05:47:52 PM
Find out IC.

This was an utterly pointless response as 'Help skill poisoning' mentions that you can 'poison waterskin'.

So the answer is not FIND OUT IC LOLOLOL.  It's 'Yes.'

edit: However, that was off topic.  I apologize for being off topic.

Quote from: maxid on May 01, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
Find out IC.

This was an utterly pointless response as 'Help skill poisoning' mentions that you can 'poison waterskin'.

He's asking for code specifics.
The help file may say that one can poison a waterskin, but it does not give more than that, so it must remain up to the interested to find out in the most direct way they can - in the game. Make sure he thanks you for avoiding that.... assuming you're right in your answer.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on May 01, 2012, 04:10:35 PM
Quote from: maxid on May 01, 2012, 03:42:16 PM
Find out IC.

He's asking for code specifics.
The help file may say that one can poison a waterskin, but it does not give more than that, so it must remain up to the interested to find out in the most direct way they can - in the game. Make sure he thanks you for avoiding that.... assuming you're right in your answer.

Nope.  He asked if you can poison a drink.  It says in the helpfile that you can, whether the syntax of the CODE allows for it does not change the fact that poisoning drinks is entirely possibly ICly.  If the CODE disallows you to use vials on drinks, then that is not so much an IC PROBLEM that you could FIND OUT IC as it is a CODE issue, which should be corrected, or examined depending upon various other factors which are more in depth in the poison/drink CODE.  I get that you're trying to be smugly superior, and it feels good to be all smugly superior and declare FIND OUT IC LOL like the oldbies, but it was not a valid response in this instance, as you clearly can use Zalanthan poisons in drinks.  In any case, this derail has little to do with brewing, so it should likely be stopped.  I'll bid you adieu, and you can fire off with the last salvo if you need to.

Okay, so, I feel I should comment here.

I did not ask if you could poison drinks.

I asked if you could poison drinks using vials.

There is a markable difference.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

May 01, 2012, 10:40:48 PM #15 Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:52:19 PM by maxid
Quote from: bcw81 on May 01, 2012, 09:59:29 PM
Okay, so, I feel I should comment here.

I did not ask if you could poison drinks.

I asked if you could poison drinks using vials.

There is a markable difference.

Not in terms of the IC of it, as I pointed out.  ICly it's entirely logical to be able to use a poison that can be put into a drink from a vial into the drink however, the code may not support that.  It's more of a quibble that you don't need to find out 'IC' but, rather, you need to find out how the code works - and since it is taboo to discuss how the code works, you need to experiment.  It is, however, impossible to discover something about how the code works in an IC manner.  It's a pet peeve of mine that that answer is used to shut down conversation, even when it is relatively benign in nature.  It was a code question, as you clearly can use some poisons in drinks.

edit: vv Please read my posts on IC vs. OOC, you don't seem to understand the distinction for some reason.  Thanks in advance, and hope you learn something!! vv

Yes, you can pour brewed vials into liquid containers.

The liquid may or may not be poisoned, thusly.

Find out IC.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

the whole brewing, poisoning, drinking, murdering is a little sketchy codewise. Unless ... your character got those skills and can experiment. Once you do experiment, things become pretty clear. So yeah, find out IC is probably the best answer. You can have quiet a bit of fun doing those experiments. I know I did, especially when I was doing it for the first time.