Regarding 'Forage Branch'

Started by quickslash, March 24, 2012, 10:17:19 AM

Why am I not finding branches with this command? I've been at it for hours, and there's another PC with me doing it. I'm in a Baobob Grove and I keep just finding twigs and vines. Is it just because my skill is low, or did the forage command change? I know this worked before.
"In a game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."

Try:

forage wood
and
forage wood for branch

instead of
forage branch

see if that helps?
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm assuming you meant "forage wood."  If you're using "forage kindling," all you're going to find is twigs and vines.

With that assumption, the room you're in is most likely flagged as a region-type that doesn't have branches in the potential forage success list for "wood."  Try a different room.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Maybe using 'branch' was the problem. Also thanks for the tip.

Yes.  If you use "forage branch" you get the exact same results as you would using "forage wood."
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Oh?
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Yeah, as of the last tweak to forage, right? Wherein you can forage for specific things?

Eh I forget.

Quote from: Malifaxis on March 24, 2012, 01:18:00 PM
Oh?

Yup.  Yet you -can- "forage wood for branch" to get the desired result, as Lizzie said.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I thought you had to put the for or a - or something in there, I didn't know just "forage branch" would work
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Right, but the first part of the syntax still has to match the list of "forage skill options" -
wood, rock(s), stone(s), food, kindling, salt, spice, and artifact(s).

You can "forage <item>" without argument, with any of the above.

If you want a specific type of item, such as, amethyst, you'd have to

forage rock for amethyst

and not

forage amethyst.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

March 24, 2012, 01:30:19 PM #10 Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:31:54 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Malifaxis on March 24, 2012, 01:23:56 PM
I thought you had to put the for or a - or something in there, I didn't know just "forage branch" would work

"Forage branch" seems to be an added argument to equate to "Forage wood" like "forage rock" is for "forage stone."
It worked this way before the wonderful changes to forage, I know.
Judging by the OP, it looks like it is still the same way.

Another note for the OP that may better answer your question: As the helpfile states, the higher your skill gets, the more valuable things you will find, so in theory a master at forage would get more branches and fewer kindling items when foraging for wood with no added argument than would someone who is a novice at the technique, so the answer to your question would be Yes, it is because your skill is low that you are not getting branches (actually getting them a very low percentage of your total forage successes) at the moment.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Also, "forage butts for apple-shaped" won't increase your chance to find apple-shaped butts. You'll just discard any butt you happen to find that isn't apple-shaped automatically.

Okay, I'm still getting nothing. My skill is at novice, but it's not like I'm looking for diamonds here. Maybe I'm in the wrong place- I keep trying 'baobob' groves. Are agafaris better? Does neither one of them work?

Quote from: quickslash on March 25, 2012, 07:18:34 AM
Okay, I'm still getting nothing. My skill is at novice, but it's not like I'm looking for diamonds here. Maybe I'm in the wrong place- I keep trying 'baobob' groves. Are agafaris better? Does neither one of them work?

Send a request in through the request tool specifying the room/s you are trying in.
My -guess- would be that your character is still crappy at it, but there is no way I can help you with that for sure.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I dunno if I was looking for branches I would cut them off a tree. Not look on the ground

Quote from: quickslash on March 25, 2012, 07:18:34 AM

Just because it's a grove doesn't mean you can forage branches there.  Try moving on to groves that are a little bit further out, or going into a heavily forested region (at your own risk).  It doesn't seem logical, but the idea behind the region you're most likely searching is that wood is scarce, regardless of the fluffy description of the room.  Just think of it as a bunch of immature, sickly trees.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Alright, I'll make a request. Thanks again everyone.

Forage branch is just a replacement alias for "forage wood."*
If you actually get something when you type "forage branch" or "forage wood," then you are in a place where it makes sense to forage for wood.
You will generally only find branches in areas where there is potential for a lot of dead wood, like a heavier sort of forest.
Therefore, you can "forage branch" and never actually get a branch.

Some of the rooms that you might think would be okay to forage for branches just aren't quite in the "heavy enough forest" variety.

In general, I think that if you have a lumber axe with you, you can figure out whether or not a room is suitable for grabbing up branches.  Simply bring the axe with you, and try to use it to cut down a tree.  If you can, then the area should be one that you can forage for branches.

Hopefully that helps anyone else coming across this particular issue.

*As a side note, this also means that you can "forage branch for branch" and only forage for branches (since "forage branch" = "forage wood").  Consequently, I'm not sure "forage branch" should exist.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

It might be a little less confusing if it didn't.

Thanks for the help.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Oddly enough, I just found out that "forage root" seems to substitute for "forage food" like rock/stone and wood/branch.  This could be a confusing to new players, maybe it should be more clearly spelled out in the helpfile?

Or remove all of the arguments that are not on the list in the helpfile.
Grebber - One who grebs.