Code Change: Gone Gone Gone... Wouldn't it be nice?

Started by Jeshin, February 07, 2012, 11:28:11 AM

Gone 2 min.
Gone is oogling some babes in the tavern
Gone phone sorry

^ We've all had to do it at some point, but gone is a wiley command with some oddities to it. For example: whisper will fail if someone is gone and give you a message, but psi tell and various other commands won't.

So it'd be nice if the code could be tweaked so if you do have to use the gone command, people will know you're gone even if they don't choose to whisper you or weren't in the room.

I like that!

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I like it too.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

QuoteWhile you are gone, your character can still be robbed or killed. If you
are going to be gone for a while, it might be a good idea to just log
out (see help quit).

Let's think about the real victims here:  people that want to rob and kill your PC.  Why do you want them to feel bad?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I don't think stopping the kill command or theft commands is anyones intent. It'd just be nice if more commands then whisper inform someone you are away.

Arm 2 has this built in, whenever you even emote including someone who is gone, it will let you know.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Having "gone" and the "<soandso> has lost link" messages show up over the Way has been my Bono-Campaigning-For-The-Third-World cause for... I think since my first thread on the GDB.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

But you just Who C and then you know someone is go....oh wait.

It would be nice if things were handled consistently, one way or the other.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

February 20, 2012, 09:24:32 AM #8 Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:27:23 AM by Karieith
Quote from: Nyr on February 07, 2012, 01:01:31 PM
QuoteWhile you are gone, your character can still be robbed or killed. If you
are going to be gone for a while, it might be a good idea to just log
out (see help quit).

Let's think about the real victims here:  people that want to rob and kill your PC.  Why do you want them to feel bad?

BRB, stealing Jeshin's stuff.

But seriously, sometimes a 2 minute away becomes a 10 minute away and that is terrible. Hell, I've been there! I recall a time when I went to answer the door and got trapped in a lengthy conversation and when I returned to the keyboard I had missed so much role-play.

Still, if you know OOC that it's going to be longer than two minutes, log out. If it's a surprise? Well... sorry? Try and tell the distraction to hold on and log out. This is something that can be handled on the User's end.

Because this got bumped and because their seems to be some weird misconception about what's being asked. Also because I'm having my first cup of coffee and it's either monologuing here or monologuing at CNBC [hate those guys]. I'll just do it here!

1. The change being proposed is not intended to prevent people from doing whatever they want to do.

2. The change being proposed is simply adding code that will inform others attempting to interact with you that you're gone.

3. If nothing is prevented from happening and the code only informs others of your status. Then what is the actual downside to implementing it?

4. There are plenty of situations someone could be in where being gone 2-15 min might be possible and logging out would be inappropriate or impossible.

5. Gone over logging out has the added benefit of RP continuing around you and allowing you to get back into the flow quickly.

6. Maybe someone is getting ready to assassinate/rob you and they sneak into the room you're in... but you're gone. Maybe they wanted to RP a scene with you before doing the dirty deed, but you've stepped away. They have no idea, you could be linkdead!

7. In what instance would this change be harmful to RP or murder/theft?

8. How would the gone status be treated any differently than linkdead? Often linkdead players are politely given the benefit of the doubt and left alone. Sometimes they're not. Players seem to work through it themselves.

Edit: Just saw that ARM 2 has this which means that the edits to ARM 1 are unlikely to happen... I already wrote this whole thing up though, so I'm totally leaving it here.

Quote from: Fathi on February 07, 2012, 01:51:11 PM
Having "gone" and the "<soandso> has lost link" messages show up over the Way has been my Bono-Campaigning-For-The-Third-World cause for... I think since my first thread on the GDB.

Bone is such a prick.

But I am all for Fathi's suggestion.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

I agree that it would be a nice change to the gone command, which I use frequently.
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!

I just wish it showed on assess.

Over the way would be nice too.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I'm not the only one that does this that I've seen and immersions be damned.

If I'm in the middle of dangerous place or even not so dangerous place and I gotta be gone for more than 15 seconds. I always do something like:

gone for 5.

change ldesc is here (afk for 5)
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."