Wanted

Started by Bacon, January 31, 2012, 12:07:04 PM

I think it'd be nice if you could have wanted status in your prompt if you choose.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Frankly, I'm surprised that the game OOCly lets you know you're wanted at all.

January 31, 2012, 12:24:14 PM #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:32:15 PM by Bacon
Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 31, 2012, 12:13:37 PM
Frankly, I'm surprised that the game OOCly lets you know you're wanted at all.

I'm not. Because there are no IC echoes to let you on to such other than the initial alert. Really, there would probably be people pointing or shouting for soldiers when you're spotted, etc.

If it weren't there, there should be virtual signals or echoes here and there to let on to that fact.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

If you got an initial alert, be happy. Sometimes you don't get that.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

January 31, 2012, 01:18:01 PM #4 Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:27:10 PM by Bacon
We already can check wanted status whenever we want. I'm just asking it be made so we can put it in our prompt if we choose. If you don't want to, don't do it. This thread isn't about whether or not you think we should be able to know if we're wanted or not. It's about, since we already have a way to know, putting it in our prompt if we choose to. Let's stay on topic.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

While in the area that you are wanted in, typing 'status' will inform you if you are wanted.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on January 31, 2012, 02:04:42 PM
While in the area that you are wanted in, typing 'status' will inform you if you are wanted.

Yeah. I know that. Just tired of typing "stat" over and over again every five minutes, hence why I want to be able to prompt it.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 31, 2012, 02:07:17 PM

Yeah. I know that. Just tired of typing "stat" over and over again every five minutes, hence why I want to be able to prompt it.

How about you check once, if wanted, clear out for RL week or month and check back later?  That seems more realistic, in my mind.

January 31, 2012, 02:25:38 PM #8 Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:29:24 PM by Bacon
Quote from: DustMight on January 31, 2012, 02:21:05 PM
Quote from: Bacon on January 31, 2012, 02:07:17 PM

How about you check once, if wanted, clear out for RL week or month and check back later?  That seems more realistic, in my mind.

Because in this case it's not possible (my options are to sit in one place waiting for it to wear off or go turn myself in and sit in a cell) and I have to stay logged in for the wanted timer to go away. I honestly can't see why anyone would be against having the option to have it in your prompt. If you don't want it there, don't put it there. I'd like to at least have the choice.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 31, 2012, 02:25:38 PMI honestly can't see why anyone would be against having the option to have it in your prompt. If you don't want it there, don't put it there. I'd like to at least have the choice.

I think they're just trying to offer helpful alternatives to small code wants which are unlikely to go in game. I agree that more prompt options are better, just because it makes keeping track of what is going on IC so much easier and really cuts down on spam of look/stat/score/etc. spam.

A prompt option would be nice.  To concerns about it being an OOC convenience, I ran into a situation the other day where the OOC echo probably saved my PCs life.  He got wanted in a situation he shouldn't have been (RP in a clan situation) and the OOC echo gave me the chance to wish up and get it set like it should have been IC.  Without the echo I likely wouldn't have known and would have gotten beat down by some npcs.

Quote from: Bacon on January 31, 2012, 02:25:38 PM
Because in this case it's not possible (my options are to sit in one place waiting for it to wear off or go turn myself in and sit in a cell) and I have to stay logged in for the wanted timer to go away.

That sucks.  In my mind this isn't a wanted prompt issue this is a long-standing issue with not making every room quit-safe for players.  The reality is we all have jobs, kids, spouses, RL responsibilities and sometimes, whether it's deep in the desert during a sandstorm at night or sitting in a "safe" dead-end area while wanted in a city - your options are to have your character wacked, disconnect or wait it out.

For me this means that I usually have to play characters that can log out nearly everywhere or have easy and near instant access to quit-safe rooms and still it catches me from time to time.  I think it was a bad design choice, myself, but hey I'm not the staff. 

In reality, since it is a game and you are a RL person, you should be able to log-out in your little safe space and log right back in there later and continue waiting for that flag to wear off.   Others may suggest you could "bribe a templar" but unless you got 10k with you,  I doubt that will happen.  Note: Next time I play one, you can bribe my character for a reasonable sum.  I'm a cheap bastard.

Quote from: DustMight on February 04, 2012, 07:42:48 AM
 Others may suggest you could "bribe a templar" but unless you got 10k with you,  I doubt that will happen.  Note: Next time I play one, you can bribe my character for a reasonable sum.  I'm a cheap bastard.

Honestly, the fine for most crimes is far less than 10k.  Anyone who says you need that has too much money on their hands.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

February 04, 2012, 11:33:13 PM #13 Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:34:55 PM by Dar
Long ago I played a dude who eventually ended up building up the Guild. But when he was just beginning he met a Mul. He was a southerner himself, so he needed someone to take place of the rinthi muscle who is from the rinth or will get accepted by rinthies. His first choice was ... the mul. Now my character was a wily bastard in all kinds of plots and due to one he ended up with an mdesc hiding mask.  When he was talking to the Mul, he found out that he was perma crimmed and decided to see if the mdesc hiding mask did anything about it. He gave it to the Mul and sent him southside. Needless to say ... he got arrested in like .... seconds. I was ... soo pissed off. Lost my mdesc hiding mask AND a Mul.

So ... I try to buy the mul out and ... the damn templars are like ... 5k to each one will be fine. 10k ? ... uhh, I need some time. Newp, you've got ... until dawn. Or something like that. I ... generated over 4k in coin in a rl hour, but I imagine a looooot of people whose stuff I usually just let be, were very very sad pandas.

So I give the 10k away and bring the Mul back to the rinth. And then .. like a few rl days later, the bastard gets guided out into the wild and ... dies. I think my dude hated muls ever sincer then.

Quote from: Dar on February 04, 2012, 11:33:13 PM
Long ago I played a dude who eventually ended up building up the Guild. But when he was just beginning he met a Mul. He was a southerner himself, so he needed someone to take place of the rinthi muscle who is from the rinth or will get accepted by rinthies. His first choice was ... the mul. Now my character was a wily bastard in all kinds of plots and due to one he ended up with an mdesc hiding mask.  When he was talking to the Mul, he found out that he was perma crimmed and decided to see if the mdesc hiding mask did anything about it. He gave it to the Mul and sent him southside. Needless to say ... he got arrested in like .... seconds. I was ... soo pissed off. Lost my mdesc hiding mask AND a Mul.

So ... I try to buy the mul out and ... the damn templars are like ... 5k to each one will be fine. 10k ? ... uhh, I need some time. Newp, you've got ... until dawn. Or something like that. I ... generated over 4k in coin in a rl hour, but I imagine a looooot of people whose stuff I usually just let be, were very very sad pandas.

So I give the 10k away and bring the Mul back to the rinth. And then .. like a few rl days later, the bastard gets guided out into the wild and ... dies. I think my dude hated muls ever sincer then.

Remember that guy that attacked the guards and pretty much sacrificed himself in an attempt to buy you some time...?

That was me. :3

February 05, 2012, 08:30:30 PM #15 Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:32:04 PM by Dar
I replied here, but then decided against it. Too IC and it's taking over that thread. Though this was like ... a shitton of time ago.