Re-Opening the Mesa Gith Tribe to Play

Started by Hot_Dancer, January 31, 2012, 10:32:12 AM

Should the Gith be reopened to the playerbase?

Yes (Assorted Reasons)
69 (63.3%)
No (Assorted Reasons)
26 (23.9%)
Indifferent
14 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Should ye olde Mesa Gith be opened to the playerbase again?

I had one for a very brief period of time too many years ago. They've a culture as interesting to play
around with as any other tribal peoples in game. They use to be huge but IC events may have reduced
them to less a potentially powerful player in the game world. This is a tribe that at their peak, supposedly
numbers a couple thousand or more.

It could be stated that there is in fact room in the game world/playerbase. The Halfings appear closed, we're
at 2 desert elf tribes rather than the norm of 3 (but 2x city elf tribes now to contradict).

It could also be stated that their ability to interact with the rest of the playerbase is much too limited
to allow into the game and adding another isolated tribe just spreads players too thin.

Thoughts?
Cheers,
HD
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I've always wanted to play a gith pc in their tribe and really find out what their culture is like. I would love to see this happen. They would also add something to that area of the game that, IMO is lacking currently.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

More PC villians is always a good thing.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I'd love gith roles if I could play them. It'd be nice to play something that is somewhat out of touch with the main superculture of the settled areas for a change, and to truly live in a wasteland area.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Yes it would be awesome.

Don't really see it happening though. Staff have stated their reasons why about this before, I think. They tend to not like raiding clans that are solely antagonistic.

Raider clans add danger to the world in a way that normal npc's dont. But sadly what tends to happen is this

The group gets a few good, active pc's that know what they are doing. They hit the right spots, at the right times. This, of course, starts attracting new players. These new players follow there leaders, generally. But then the leaders die and the new guys take over. They then decide to one up there previous bosses, and this tends to be way to much, and starts a war.

PC leaders jump at the chance to pu on there hero cape, gear up there men, band together, and destroy the pc raider group, obliterating them.

Then we have no pc raiders for a long long time.

Just something I, personally, noticed in my couple of years. I'm all for it, but I would like to see this normal formula avoided somehow... Maybe make them the same karma as a HG? So Only the dedicate,d knowledgeable players play them?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

If they were opened up for play I'm sure they'd be spec app only.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

The Mesa Gith's area of influence doesn't really edge into high-traffic game areas where Raiders are capable of
getting themselves into too much trouble. This is a group that is probably not going to affect much more than
the Tablelands. Long distance travel is pretty difficult for a gith pc via their movement charactaristics, unless
they're climbing the Shield Wall looking for trouble (again, not easy). They simply have very poor range.

I imagine your average gith player would be skirmishing with the local tribals, hunting food and doing their tribal
thing socially. (and more that may be too IC to disclose). 
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 31, 2012, 10:45:55 AM
Don't really see it happening though. Staff have stated their reasons why about this before, I think. They tend to not like raiding clans that are solely antagonistic.

Kah?
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on January 31, 2012, 11:08:00 AM
The Mesa Gith's area of influence doesn't really edge into high-traffic game areas where Raiders are capable of
getting themselves into too much trouble. This is a group that is probably not going to affect much more than
the Tablelands. Long distance travel is pretty difficult for a gith pc via their movement charactaristics, unless
they're climbing the Shield Wall looking for trouble (again, not easy). They simply have very poor range.

I imagine your average gith player would be skirmishing with the local tribals, hunting food and doing their tribal
thing socially. (and more that may be too IC to disclose). 

Yeah they would impact other areas of the game less than the desert elves currently do.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 31, 2012, 11:08:43 AM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 31, 2012, 10:45:55 AM

Kah?

Just wait for it.

Personally, I think the gith would be much more viable if they weren't a, "kill everything," clan.  Just say they only raid rich tribes and city caravans on a regular basis, along with a few historical hatreds, and I think you can leave everything else to, "fair game for whatever fun you might reasonably imagine."
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

No. They're too isolated and kill-oriented. With the Red Fangs permanently closed, they have even less contact with the outside world.

Sure, they may have rich culture but they're still hostile towards everyone else. Clans with too much raider focus haven't been too awesome in the past years, in my most personal experience/opinion.

I do not think the game needs another iso- or hostile clan opened up for PCs, even if they'd be special app. Soh and Sun Runner elves should have plenty to do even without gith PCs around.

The gith are unlikely to be opened when other clans (halflings, for one) have been shut down to avoid diluting the playerbase. Honestly, it's bad enough that we have Allanak (including the Labyrinth), Tuluk, Red Storm, Luir's, Blackwing, the various tentcamps, Tyn Dashra, Cenyr, and the logging camp to spread out our 60-or-so concurrent players.

I'd love to see the gith open for play. I'd love to see the Conclave, too, and the halflings and a few other IC places that aren't supercommon knowledge. It'd be rad. We really just don't have the playerbase to support it, though, and I'd rather see the fantastic players that WOULD make a gith roll up AOD soldiers, Soh Lanah Kah, Tuluki partisans and the whole other slew of things available.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

I would love to play a dirty, dirty gith.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

The same old easily escapeable animals and npcs arent very fear inducing. Id love to be chased down by a pc gith.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

I've played two gith PCs before.  They were really fun, but I died really quickly, as they were my first desert-only roles.

To my knowledge, the gith haven't been open since then (2000-2001?), with maybe a couple of exceptions.

Once upon a time, gith roamed the streets of Red Storm.  I don't know why these NPCs were removed, but it does hint to the fact that gith are not completely incapable of interacting with the rest of the Known in a non-murderous fashion.

Quote from: Kronibas on January 31, 2012, 12:37:47 PM
Once upon a time, gith roamed the streets of Red Storm.  I don't know why these NPCs were removed, but it does hint to the fact that gith are not completely incapable of interacting with the rest of the Known in a non-murderous fashion.

Or their removal indicates the opposite.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

And once upon a time, mantis and halflings sat down for a beer in Flint's.

I'm not trying to be snarky, even though it might read that way - I'm just trying to state that sometimes the game evolves and things need to be retconned.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

I am only slightly interested in playing gith.

I am not interested in playing "against" gith.

An external (to the human population) enemy that is so culturally foreign will do nothing but drive many humans to work together.

And how Armageddon is that?

The gith are our chance to play heroes. But...we're not.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I think having the gith tribe opened up would be pretty cool ... if ... they were kept in the southern tablelands/mantis valley, staff approved RPT style excursions excepting.

Limiting them to that area would, I believe, keep them from getting super crazy on the rest of the player base as has happened with other clans in the past, and while that area is very isolated, it's no where near as isolated as the grey forest is. They would have plenty of chances to bump into wayward hunters who are mob-bashing through their turf.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 31, 2012, 04:48:15 PM
I think having the gith tribe opened up would be pretty cool ... if ... they were kept in the southern tablelands/mantis valley, staff approved RPT style excursions excepting.

Limiting them to that area would, I believe, keep them from getting super crazy on the rest of the player base as has happened with other clans in the past, and while that area is very isolated, it's no where near as isolated as the grey forest is. They would have plenty of chances to bump into wayward hunters who are mob-bashing through their turf.

I was kinda going off the assumption this would be the case personally.
~ Doug Larson

~Synthesis

Quote from: Fredd on January 31, 2012, 10:49:57 AM

Raider clans add danger to the world in a way that normal npc's dont. But sadly what tends to happen is this

The group gets a few good, active pc's that know what they are doing. They hit the right spots, at the right times. This, of course, starts attracting new players. These new players follow there leaders, generally. But then the leaders die and the new guys take over. They then decide to one up there previous bosses, and this tends to be way to much, and starts a war.

PC leaders jump at the chance to pu on there hero cape, gear up there men, band together, and destroy the pc raider group, obliterating them.

Then we have no pc raiders for a long long time.

Just something I, personally, noticed in my couple of years. I'm all for it, but I would like to see this normal formula avoided somehow... Maybe make them the same karma as a HG? So Only the dedicate,d knowledgeable players play them?
With gith it is even worse.  I played some gith in the past and I got steamrolled.  Everybody hears gith PCs and then all of a sudden the hunt is on.  Its a PC who you have no reason NOT to kill, whereas if you are random JoeBob southerner you may not want to smack JimmyJimbo northerner because of his connections and just being a dick.  For some reason, PC gith don't get that added protection :).  Then again, Gith would rarely give that consideration before whacking PC human/elf/half-elf #123534234.

With the advent of using karma to bump some starting skills up, maybe its viable to play a gith pc since most get wasted before they are worth anything.  I personally think that the staff should do a pet project thing where every so often they open up a race for a bit (kinda like this gladiator thing), allow some of X type race (gith/mantis/etc.), and then close it at an appropriate time.

I'm very strongly of the opinion that we do not need more ways for players to isolate themselves from the rest of the playerbase. A gith tribe would have exactly one option for interacting with the playerbase: Violence. So on the one side you end up with boredom (the gith), and on the other side you'd have whining (the rest of the players). Sure, it's plenty cool as a concept, but it's not a formula for fun.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on January 31, 2012, 05:11:37 PM
but it's not a formula for fun.

I had fun with my two gith, and I think I only managed to kill one PC -- during a staff-initiated quest.