Yes
5 (17.2%)
No
12 (41.4%)
Jeff. the God of Biscuits
12 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 06, 2003, 01:53:29 PM

Well... In this crazy Known World of Zalanthas, we have personified a few things, most of which are the elementals.  We do this for convenience and because the elements are a part of our lives.

I can think of one thing that is not personified, but I feel should be: Death.  Death the one thing that is a part of all of our lives, reguardless of what we belive.  Even in our modern society, we personify Death (and make fun of him in some instances, such as on Family Guy).  What I'm wondering is why Death is not personified on Zalanthas.

Sure I've seen people say things like "send him to Drov," but that's not the same thing.  It's more like saying, literaly, "send him to the Dark Place" or "the place of Shodows".  Death is who takes you there.

And on Zalanthas, what kind of legends would there be about Death.  The tall, cowled figure on the moonless-black war-beetle is just  too every-day on Zalanthas...

Why do you think Death should or shouldn't be personified?  If so, what would we call Death? Death?
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

drov is the equivlanent of hell no? So it has slightly more than what you described it.

death. why not just personify it icly, say it enough and if people like how it sounds it'll pick up.
Veteran Newbie

QuoteI can think of one thing that is not personified, but I feel should be: Death. Death the one thing that is a part of all of our lives, reguardless of what we belive.

So make a PC who personifies it and makes up legends and such if that's how you feel. That probably comes across as rude, but it's probably the only way you'll see it happen. If you want to see change/new things, help make them and design them and bring them in. Maybe it'll catch on.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Quote from: "Carnage"So make a PC who personifies it and makes up legends and such if that's how you feel. That probably comes across as rude, but it's probably the only way you'll see it happen. If you want to see change/new things, help make them and design them and bring them in. Maybe it'll catch on.

I was actually thinking about doing that... but now that you said something I don't know if I will, that would just seem.... cheap.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

Not really a personification but...

I have seen a few characters act as if Drov were the 'reaper' and refer to afterlife as "Drov's Palace" or some such.

personally, I thought it was pretty cool, it puts a differential between the aspect and the final resting place.

"I'm gonna kick your ass so hard you'll shake the walls of Drov's Palace!"
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Maybe there's no anthorpomorphic personification of Death on Zalanthas 'cause the Auditors finally caught up to him, and replaced him with the Void.

Seriously, though, I think the Void already fits the idea.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

I've heard Drov refered to as a person/being.  People have said "Drov took him" or "You've escaped Drov's grasp once again, young runner."

Also, I've heard the term 'void' used as hell more often than Drov.

I don't think  some staff member wanted the players to call elves 'longnecks'.. Some players called elves 'longnecks' and it's liked and spread. Tell stories personifying death as the black metal sworded dragon-like figure riding on a mek which has the jaws of a raptor. I'm sure *your* death's going to look awesome, better than *mine* does. If people like it, people will call death the name you gave... probably.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

I've seen mostly Drov personified as the dude who grabs people when they are dead. But I've seen several different things as where they go and such.

Shrug.

I'm guessing if you want something more different, and don't want to do it yourself, probably have to cordinate with some people... Maybe even make up a document of common death beleifs or something?

It'd be interesting... Adding in more of the religion types of things that I think are missing, such as the whole opinion around death.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Just to murky the waters a bit, as well as the Void (Nilaz?) I've also heard people refer to the Hell Pits of Suk Krath.  Mmmm, Burning.

How about the bottemless fountain of Vivadu?  If most people have never seen much more than a barrel of water at a time, the plane of water would be pretty scary.  When I've encountered sizeable bodies of water most people I've seen react with awe, but I think fear would be as likely a reaction.  Is it dangerous?  Magick? Mirage? A trap?  Err, I guess this is sort of off-topic.  Oh well.

As for Death, there may not be a universal personification, but there are doubtless some groups that personify death.  The known world may only contain one million people, but they are a very diverse collection of people.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins