Stable Fees

Started by bcw81, January 18, 2012, 10:57:54 AM

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 18, 2012, 04:53:54 PM
Regarding differing costs for stabling based on time, I don't like it for the reasons stated above.

As for justifying it in game, I like to think that city stables treat mounts like banks treat money. You deposit your mount, they charge you a flat fee. While you keep your mount 'in the stables', they 'rent it out' to all sorts of people for short jobs, mostly virtual - couriers around the city for erdlu, small patrols for beetles, short-order hauling for inix, breeding, and so on.

This also explains why, occasionally, your mount will be slightly hurt when you get it back from the stables. Woops.

It's slightly hurt, because its stats are different. THat's because, it's not the same mount that you brought in. Your inix isn't YOUR inix, when you bring it to a public stables. It's "the inix you're riding today." Sometimes, it's the same size/weight. Sometimes, it's lighter or heavier, or bigger or smaller. Sometimes, it's older or younger. It is usually not the same one that you brought in.

Which is why you wouldn't be charged based on how long it's been there. YOU didn't leave THAT inix there for 10 days. You brought an inix in 10 days ago, it was let out to various other people, and MAYBE returned to you - or maybe someone else is riding it right now. Or maybe someone rode it yesterday, and it got eaten by a mekiillot.

I don't like the idea of changing stable costs for any type of mount, because as someone pointed out already, a half-giant won't have an option of picking an erdlu, or a sunlon, or pretty much anything else. He's stuck with an inix, and due to the nature of a half-giant supposedly being -remarkably stupid-, one would hope he is also at a financial disadvantage as well.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 18, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
It's slightly hurt, because its stats are different. THat's because, it's not the same mount that you brought in. Your inix isn't YOUR inix, when you bring it to a public stables. It's "the inix you're riding today." Sometimes, it's the same size/weight. Sometimes, it's lighter or heavier, or bigger or smaller. Sometimes, it's older or younger. It is usually not the same one that you brought in.

Which is why you wouldn't be charged based on how long it's been there. YOU didn't leave THAT inix there for 10 days. You brought an inix in 10 days ago, it was let out to various other people, and MAYBE returned to you - or maybe someone else is riding it right now. Or maybe someone rode it yesterday, and it got eaten by a mekiillot.

I entirely reject this line of argumentation.  I bought Bango from Flora's brother for five hundred sids.  I rode him everywhere and learned him to fight.  He charged at lanky, smelly giths and trampled over them before they could throw spears at th' Lady Templar.  When I got shot dead by dagdum skinnies inexplicably far from home, my ol' dad1 took him home to his retirement ranch by Menos, where he lived happily ever after.2

You can't take away my Bango.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Yeah seriously. It's the same inix. Lets not make IC justifications for OOC limitations, please.

January 18, 2012, 05:24:19 PM #28 Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:25:51 PM by Desertman
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 18, 2012, 05:10:22 PM
Yeah seriously. It's the same inix. Lets not make IC justifications for OOC limitations, please.

Edited out actually.

Some people might not even know those mount types exist.

Suffice to say it is the same mount that you get back every single time, without exception.

The only reason the stats change is because it is coded that way, an OOC limitation.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

On the note of giants: If a giant cannot afford a mount, then he shouldn't buy one. There is no hardwritten rule that says every non-elven race must ride mounts at all times outside the city walls.

And before someone says that it's hardly feasible to hunt/etc without a mount - It is entirely possible, and more times than not, much more fun.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: Desertman on January 18, 2012, 05:24:19 PM
The only reason the stats change is because it is coded that way, an OOC limitation.

True, so far as it goes. I (and, extending the benefit of the doubt, Lizzie) was just trying to find an IC justification for something that helps make two OOC constructs plausible.

This isn't actually too far off base from what we normally do. The entire MUD is an OOC construct; IC is just a semi-shared thoughtspace. We take all the OOC constructs and clothe them in IC justifications. We just have more trouble with some than with others, because our general framework is based off of our general framework of empirical experience.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Quote from: Tisiphone on January 18, 2012, 05:57:11 PM

True, so far as it goes. I (and, extending the benefit of the doubt, Lizzie) was just trying to find an IC justification for something that helps make two OOC constructs plausible.

This isn't actually too far off base from what we normally do. The entire MUD is an OOC construct; IC is just a semi-shared thoughtspace. We take all the OOC constructs and clothe them in IC justifications. We just have more trouble with some than with others, because our general framework is based off of our general framework of empirical experience.

Oh no I get that, I'm just clarifying that there isn't a need for justification in this case. It really is the same mount heh.

Quote from: Desertman on January 18, 2012, 06:27:29 PM

Oh no I get that, I'm just clarifying that there isn't a need for justification in this case. It really is the same mount heh.

Then how do you explain, ICly, that Mount #1 is now smaller and heavier and younger today, than it was yesterday? Answer: it's not the same one.

Quote from: Lizzie on January 18, 2012, 06:35:09 PM
Quote from: Desertman on January 18, 2012, 06:27:29 PM

Then how do you explain, ICly, that Mount #1 is now smaller and heavier and younger today, than it was yesterday? Answer: it's not the same one.

the people who run the stables must be damn gickers magically changing my mount! bastards
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

It's a pointless arguement, really. You're suggesting something that doesn't do anything to help the game, doesn't do anything to increase enjoyment of the game, and could very easily result in more people who inappropriately neglect to stable their mounts at all but instead go idle AT the stables while their mount rests, and then go out again. And then you'd have to deal with players being annoyed because "realistically," the stablehand would insist that you pay to use his stable as a resting spot for your mount, but codedly, he isn't because he's an NPC.

And then you'd have to deal with the naysayers who say code trumps RP.

And then blah blah blah...

just seems like a lot of new threads suggesting changes for the sake of changing, and not for any other useful reason.

I'm suggesting this because I don't like seeing inix in the south, and beetles in the north. That's my main point behind my argument. Adding something like this would, indeed, add to people using mounts -other- than those two for -everything-.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

THat's because, it's not the same mount that you brought in. e pointed out already, a

If you're using this as a justification for renting then automatically unrenting a mount from the stables so you don't have to, you know... wait, then you're wrong.

For as long as I can remember, this has been considered abusing the code.

Quote from: Kronibas on January 18, 2012, 07:23:04 PM
THat's because, it's not the same mount that you brought in. e pointed out already, a

If you're using this as a justification for renting then automatically unrenting a mount from the stables so you don't have to, you know... wait, then you're wrong.

For as long as I can remember, this has been considered abusing the code.

I'm not seeing -anyone- saying that they're doing that in this thread.

Quote from: bcw81 on January 18, 2012, 06:52:03 PM
I'm suggesting this because I don't like seeing inix in the south, and beetles in the north. That's my main point behind my argument. Adding something like this would, indeed, add to people using mounts -other- than those two for -everything-.

Then be the change.

Play a templar in the north who fines people who come up with beetles. Or a templar in the south who fines people who come down with inixes. Or a Tuluki dwarf with a focus to prevent the invasion of southern mounts into the sacred terrain of the north. Or whatever else. Just because -you- don't like people who come from the south, buying and using war beetles to travel north? Really? That's - a very strange peeve.

It's blatantly going against the games documentation to have Amos the Southern Hunter going around the southlands on an inix and expecting to have the same upkeep as Talia the Southern Hunter who rides an erdlu.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on January 18, 2012, 06:52:03 PM

Do you not like seeing particular mounts in other areas of the game for OOC reasons or IC reasons? Because to me it sounds like you're just nitpicking an excerpt from a helpfile that is likely very outdated.

As an alternative to charging people more to stable their mounts in different areas of the game world, why don't we just add additional mounts? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a sunlon a crossbreed? Why not a sunback/inix mix?
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!

Then think of it this way instead, if it'll help you wrap your mind around the playability issue that Talia has already explained:

It _really_ only costs 2 sids to stable an erdlu, and only 6 sids to stable an inix, and only 5 sids to stable a war beetle, in the opposing cities. So the stablemasters are profiting big-time, but erdlu riders are exploited more because they THINK they're getting off cheap.

I hate it when threads reach that point of...

"Now I am going to argue just to argue."

I'm out.

Quote from: Desertman on January 18, 2012, 08:03:52 PM
I hate it when threads reach that point of...

"Now I am going to argue just to argue."

I'm out.

"] yer a wizard, oashi"

I like this quite a bit. There should be at least one effin' perk to having an erdlu.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

It would be awesome if the stabling fees for mounts were changed based off the maintenance of the beast. Yes, HG's ride Inix and it would mean an up in cost for them because Inix would cost more to care for. They also pay outrageous (fittingly so) tailoring costs. They also can punch things to death right out of chargen, folks also pay them good coin just to be around now and then.

A pc buying a 'shittier' mount because they're cheaper for maintenance makes sense. A pc willing to pay more to keep there Inix healthy would also makes sense. I think it adds another dynamic into the world to be taken into account, always a good thing IMO.

OOC annoyance of having less coin to buy gear? Punishing players who don't hunt a lot when they go out? Sounds Zalanthan to me, enjoy being broke. Being broke is part of the gameworld too. Great idea IMO, seems like something so obvious it'd already be ig actually.. I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested earlier now that I read it.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: path on January 18, 2012, 08:20:12 PM
I like this quite a bit. There should be at least one effin' perk to having an erdlu.

>run
you slap an erdlu on the ass and it begins to move at the speed of light.

>e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on January 18, 2012, 08:27:56 PM
Quote from: path on January 18, 2012, 08:20:12 PM

>run
you slap an erdlu on the ass and it begins to move at the speed of light.

>e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;e;

Erm, more like..
>e;e;e;e;e
An erdlu is too exhausted to move any further.

An erdlu can run long enough to get to any of the good resting spots.