How do you feel about the sparring 'code'?

Started by Titania, January 17, 2012, 05:42:29 PM

Do you think that sparring should be tweaked? If so offer suggestions.

It's fine the way it is.
15 (41.7%)
It's pretty good but could use some tweaking.
7 (19.4%)
Needs improvement.
7 (19.4%)
Other.
0 (0%)
I only tavern sit and mud sex.
7 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

I think it's pretty good but could use some tweeks.

Regardless of the realism or lack thereof, I'd like to enjoy it more as an older PC without having to worry about accidentally killing people.
I am sort of laggy some times, so I worry I'll lag out and not be able to disengage in a timely manner. And now, the option that sort of made
this OK..aka them fleeing is kind of gone. So this is sort of a purely selfish wish and complaint I have.

I just want to be able to throw out some emotes without fear that I'll accidentally kill people. I am usually not out to injure anyone
either, and am dissapointed in a way my character is going for absolute murder death.

I personally think that if you have a SPARRING toggle on, your damage is capped way lower like at solid or something. It would make me personally more comfortable, being a laggart, and reduce my sighing at the new flee code. 

Perhaps a nosave 'flee' option to not deal damage to others when they flee?
Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!

No.

If you are paying attention, you can flee (even with the chance of taking another hit) without fear of death. If someone drops link, I always flee immediately.
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Down Under on January 17, 2012, 05:56:50 PM
No.

If you are paying attention, you can flee (even with the chance of taking another hit) without fear of death. If someone drops link, I always flee immediately.

Just lagging not dropping link. Couple seconds here or there.

Quote from: Titania on January 17, 2012, 05:57:00 PM
Then they never get better at fleeing.

Wrong, there are other ways of improving fleeing, that IMO made more sense (and still do).

--Howlin' Wolf

Such as what escaping subdue? What else? Anyway the new flee code was supposedly put in because flee skills were not going up with the way things were.

Could take a leaf out of SoI's book and have a set percentage of 'effort' which modifies how effective you are at combat.

Quote from: Kinther on January 17, 2012, 05:55:58 PM

QuoteHuh?

The act of fleeing doesn't check the flee skill as far as I understand, checking if you do not get hit does. So if you turn off the option to strike at them you are left with the old way, where flee skill isn't getting checked and does not go up.

Quote from: Titania on January 17, 2012, 06:38:09 PM
Quote from: Kinther on January 17, 2012, 05:55:58 PM

QuoteHuh?

The act of fleeing doesn't check the flee skill as far as I understand, checking if you do not get hit does. So if you turn off the option to strike at them you are left with the old way, where flee skill isn't getting checked and does not go up.

Not exactly true, the old chances for gaining flee are still available, same as before the latest flee change.  It was just not easy to gain with.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

January 17, 2012, 07:46:28 PM #11 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:49:08 PM by Sunburned
Somewhat related to sparring code... but a slight digression...

My longstanding issue with the combat code is that it punishes people in city-bound militia organizations by retarding some of their most essential combat abilities... namely weapon skills, which should  be improving in daily melee combat against other humanoid weapon-users (from a par-boiled realism standpoint).

Unfortunately, members of these clans tend to hit a glass-ceiling with their chosen weapon skill due to certain code mechanics.  Ironically - and the basis for my discontent - less city-bound combat classes don't have the same problem.

I think this is a long-standing and well known problem, but its difficult to discuss on the GDB without getting into code specifics.
"A man's past is not simply a dead history... it is a still quivering part of himself, bringing shudders and bitter flavours and the tinglings of a merited shame."
-George Eliot

Titania, mercy on.

Sunburned, agreed.  If you didn't hit them, for whatever reason, you failed to hit them.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

QuoteMercy    (Combat)
A player can set their character to be merciful by use of this command. When a player has mercy turned on, they will try and hold back blows that might kill their opponent and will refrain from attacking unconscious opponents altogether. The more skilled a character is with a weapon the better able they are to judge what would be a killing blow, while those inexperienced with the same weapon might accidentally kill without meaning to.

Technically, the more badass you become, the less you have to worry about accidentally killing someone when sparring.
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → b a

Quote from: Wasteland Raider on January 17, 2012, 08:01:37 PM
QuoteMercy    (Combat)
A player can set their character to be merciful by use of this command. When a player has mercy turned on, they will try and hold back blows that might kill their opponent and will refrain from attacking unconscious opponents altogether. The more skilled a character is with a weapon the better able they are to judge what would be a killing blow, while those inexperienced with the same weapon might accidentally kill without meaning to.

Technically, the more badass you become, the less you have to worry about accidentally killing someone when sparring.

This more or less works, most of the time, when you get to the highest levels of weapon skills (Unless you are a half-giant, but why are you sparring a half-giant?)

All in all -- It would be nice to toggle 'on and off' to flee-hitting, but sparring in general is fine as it is. I'd rather work go into Armageddon 2.0 combat structure than fixing anything in 1.0.

--Howlin' Wolf

Mercy is on.
I was under the impression mercy can fail if you hit large enough hits.
I also don't wish to beat people where they have to sleep/bandage every time.

change sparring 3

You will try to flee if your condition becomes not so good.
You will disengage if the condition of your opponent becomes not so good.

change sparring 4

you will try to flee if your condition becomes poor.
You will disengage if the condition of your opponent becomes poor

sparring

You are not limiting yourself in any way. TO THE DEATH! YARRR.

problem solved.

I think it's fine as it is.

The biggest thing is to reinforce with yourself and all of your sparring buddies that you should always stop the round earlier rather than later. If you see the parting shot as adding a risk of death/going beyond auto-regeneration, that's probably because you and your clanmates are in the habit of sparring for pushing things too long in the sparring ring. PC leaders in military clans really need to combat this habit; they can do so ICly.

If you massively outmatch your sparring opponent, use nosave combat. That doesn't mean you can't attack them; even with the laggiest connection should be able to kill partner;disengage reliably. You have more control over your PC in combat than you realize.

if you are 50 day warrior dwarf sparring newbie elf then just dont fight back, go defensive. With the new flee code just flee 10-20 hp sooner then you used to. Unless they get a really good shot it wont matter. I never figured out the old way flee went up because no matter how much I played a warrior or w/e i never went past the starting level. This new way is far superior.
Love's the only war worth dying for.
Build me up to knock me down, I'm all yours.

I never understood why people insisted on fighting until at 3/4 hp or whatever.

Sometimes (in fact, often), the fight could end a LOT sooner.

Note that the announcement on the new flee code has been updated to include information about changes to mercy that might affect this conversation.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,42567.msg658480.html#new

Please do not derail this discussion with discussion of this change, please contain that discussion to the 'flee changes' thread here:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,42568.msg658481.html#new
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

I think  it's fine.   Mostly it's just a matter of teaching new players to try and role-play as they fight and to remember that damage during normal training... would be bruises, not near death blows.

the only tweek I could see (don't even know if it's possible) would be a way to slow sparring down in sparring rings -- so folks have time to talk/teach,  show/teach, and keep going a bit longer when unevenly matched.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on January 18, 2012, 10:24:26 AM
the only tweek I could see (don't even know if it's possible) would be a way to slow sparring down in sparring rings -- so folks have time to talk/teach,  show/teach, and keep going a bit longer when unevenly matched.

Note that teachers can do as suggested and leave 'nosave combat' on, so they won't attack back.  Then use 'kill;disengage' to do one hit and break off.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on January 18, 2012, 10:39:11 AM
Quote from: My 2 sids on January 18, 2012, 10:24:26 AM

Note that teachers can do as suggested and leave 'nosave combat' on, so they won't attack back.  Then use 'kill;disengage' to do one hit and break off.

I had a character do this frequently. It makes you feel so cool, and often times bad-ass.