Using tools

Started by Eriad, January 15, 2012, 12:06:30 AM

As far as I understand, when you want to use a tool you either hold or wield it, depending on what it will allow. But in the helpfiles it says:

QuoteSyntax:
craft (itemname)
Examples:
>craft grass
You could make simple basket from that.
You could make sturdy basket from that.
You could make well-fashioned basket from that.
>craft bone auger
You could make a polished bone flute from that.
If nothing can be made, or you lack the skill, you will receive the
message, "You don't think you could craft that into anything."
Once you know what items can be made, you can craft them.

Does that mean that sometimes you have the tool in your inventory, and type it into your crafting syntax? Or is this an outdated code?
I'm confused.  ???
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
  --  Andrew Jackson

There are only two tools (that I can think of off hand) that require them to be in your crafting syntax and those are described in HELP CLOTHWORKING. Other than that, EP or ES the tools that you want to physically use, as that will allow you to hold them in your hands and... Use them.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Then, the auger in the 'help crafting' isn't actually used in that manner?
Quote>craft bone auger
You could make a polished bone flute from that. 
  --  Andrew Jackson

I'm going to respond with an 'I don't know'. I believe that the code has changed over the years to take the tools out of the syntax and move them into the hands. I -do not know- on that matter, though, so... Take your chances in listening to me on it or not. Synthesis might have a better answer.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Sometimes tools can be used as ingredients in recipes. Other times, you can just hold tools, and they may help you be better at the work. Logically speaking, it's easier to insert a nail into a piece of wood if you are holding a hammer.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Ok, thanks.
  --  Andrew Jackson

Quote from: Talia on January 15, 2012, 01:16:35 AM
Sometimes tools can be used as ingredients in recipes. Other times, you can just hold tools, and they may help you be better at the work. Logically speaking, it's easier to insert a nail into a piece of wood if you are holding a hammer.

Real Zalanthans just use a shard and a heavy rock. Who needs nails? ;)

Other than that, I have nothing really helpful to add.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Tools are the coolness and nothing says fear to me more than my own personal assassin coming at me in the dark, with a long nail file and a bone-bladed saw.

To be useful, I will say that, when using the many tools of a particular craft, some tools seem to work better than others when making certain things, I think this is realistic.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded