Discussion thread - Extended Subguilds

Started by Adhira, January 02, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

Okay, okay, okay,  so.... maybe this is exactly what folks have been wanting for a long time and will be a lot of fun.   
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I so want to test drive this, on one hand.

On the other, I don't want to special app a character, waste (probably Nyr's) time setting it up, then end up with my usual coin-flip as to whether or not I hate it and want to store the thing.

Paralyzed into inaction!

Quote from: number13 on January 09, 2012, 11:40:13 PM

On the other, I don't want to special app a character, waste (probably Nyr's) time setting it up, then end up with my usual coin-flip as to whether or not I hate it and want to store the thing.

Paralyzed into inaction!

Worse you can do is Try.
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

*bounces excitedly*

A lot of the recent game additions make me a happy camper.

That's all.

Quote from: number13 on January 09, 2012, 11:40:13 PM

Paralyzed into inaction!

Thank god I'm not the only one who does this.

Give it a shot! Who knows. You might like it. If you don't, at least you know now.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Akaramu on January 10, 2012, 05:11:33 AM
*bounces excitedly*

The Gladiator and Gaj - Sleeping Area [W Quit]

> draw halfsword
You draw a balanced, well-sharpened foam halfsword.
> hide
You begin spawn camping.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 10, 2012, 09:50:48 AM
*bounces excitedly*

> draw halfsword
> hide
You begin spawn camping.

Hah! This made me chuckle...
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

Quote from: Kol on January 10, 2012, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 10, 2012, 09:50:48 AM
*bounces excitedly*

> draw halfsword
> hide
You begin spawn camping.

Hah! This made me chuckle...

LOL

I am very close to applying for one of these! ...but I had to send in a request with a bunch of code questions first.

I sort of assumed this but...

Once the system is automated for skill bumps, I assume the timing of the application of the bump would be after choosing your starting location?
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Twilight on January 17, 2012, 03:41:32 PM
I sort of assumed this but...

Once the system is automated for skill bumps, I assume the timing of the application of the bump would be after choosing your starting location?

We haven't decided this, but it would most likely be on skill reset which happens when you enter the game or when staff resets skills.  Locations mods would happen later.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

My experience so far with these is that they are awesome. Thanks for taking the code in a novel direction! I look forward to seeing how this all works out once everything's polished up completely.

I'm really liking these so far. My one problem (I don't know if it's been brought up) is that the helpfiles don't reflect that some of the skills branch.

Huh? Almost every one Ive read talks about "Eventually they may learn to..." or "Those amongst them who excel..."

Quote from: WWYD on January 21, 2012, 04:40:41 AM
I'm really liking these so far. My one problem (I don't know if it's been brought up) is that the helpfiles don't reflect that some of the skills branch.
You're already branching skills? Bloody hell! I get excited if I manage to move up a step.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 21, 2012, 05:02:52 AM
Huh? Almost every one Ive read talks about "Eventually they may learn to..." or "Those amongst them who excel..."

I'll check again later (the last time I read them it was 7 AM), but most of them don't, mainly the crafting subguilds.

Some of them do not branch skills, some do.  Crafting skill trees for extended subguilds, in general, do not.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

I think a Master Linguist subguild would be cool. Sirihish, Allundean, Mirrukim, Bendune, and Cavalish. Perhaps they would start with a few of the different accents as well.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Quote from: Bacon on January 23, 2012, 03:36:41 PM
I think a Master Linguist subguild would be cool. Sirihish, Allundean, Mirrukim, Bendune, and Cavalish. Perhaps they would start with a few of the different accents as well.

Cavilish, honestly, doesn't seem to be much use in the game as its own language. If more people spoke it, I think it would be seen as more useful, especially since its not a racially based language. A subguild providing it, with the necessary other subguild treats that would prompt more people to take it, would kick ass. Imagine being held captive in the dark by elves who know you know cavilish and allundean; they switch to cavilish to partially conceal their identity. As it stands now, it kind of just says that you're a crafter/trader/suck at fighting and I've personally never found it useful, just a side thing, or a temporary bonus.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

January 23, 2012, 04:35:40 PM #294 Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:39:50 PM by Delirium
Ranger/Master Trader FTW. Or, hell, assassin, or warrior!

What about Master Baiter? You know...Tracking...Hunting...
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

January 26, 2012, 09:23:32 AM #296 Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:36:49 AM by NOFUN
If you special apped a character would it be kosher to ask for a nomad accent ontop of an extended subguild? As like, an exception to the picking subguild_nomad for a nomad background?

I mean, I had an idea for a nomad character, though at the same time the new subguilds sound like the bees knees.

Or maybe a master nomad guild that can create spearheads as well as poles?
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

At this point you may apply for one of the following:

a special application that is NOT an extended subguild
a special application that is ONLY for an extended subguild as proscribed by this initiative
a special application that is ONLY for skill boosts as proscribed by this initiative

Anything that is a mix of the above likely will be denied.

Quote from: Cind on January 23, 2012, 04:34:56 PM
A subguild providing it, with the necessary other subguild treats that would prompt more people to take it, would kick ass.

Yeah, it would be great if we had created an extended subguild with cavilish...  :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

What kind of turn around time on these? If we have no character currently should we app something to play in the meantime?
Really itching to play.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Quote from: jhunter on January 26, 2012, 10:22:07 AM
What kind of turn around time on these? If we have no character currently should we app something to play in the meantime?
Really itching to play.

I think they said they're trying for a week on special apps that are ONLY for an extended subguild or skill boosts.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.