Sleeping and the stat command

Started by Quittle, December 11, 2011, 05:45:15 PM

December 11, 2011, 05:45:15 PM Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:10:29 PM by Quittle
It's not a gigantic deal, but it bugs me a little bit that I can see what my characters encumbrance is while sleeping by typing stat. If my character was sleeping for a little bit in a place where it seems likely that people might take his/her stuff , I could spam stat until my hp or mv went up. This would be especially true if he/she was encumbered. I can understand that being able to view  encumbrance while sleeping removes the trouble of waking up, checking things out, then sleeping again repeatedly (maybe checking ones stat every little bit is the equivalent to 'sleeping with one eye open'), but... What do you guys think?

If you're actually sleeping in a place someone might steal your things, you're making a huge newbie mistake.  This will no longer be a problem once you figure out a) how utterly risky it is and b) what the alternatives are.  That's basically why it doesn't bother anyone--because nobody with half a bit of sense sleeps where they would even need to worry about constantly checking their encumbrance.

(If you've been otherwise incapacitated, whether your gear is going missing or not is a relatively trivial matter, in relation to the question of whether your head will soon be missing.)
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You feel a slight tugging at your thread.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

December 11, 2011, 07:56:07 PM #3 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:57:44 PM by Quittle
Quote from: Synthesis on December 11, 2011, 06:59:53 PM
If you're actually sleeping in a place someone might steal your things, you're making a huge newbie mistake.  This will no longer be a problem once you figure out a) how utterly risky it is and b) what the alternatives are.  That's basically why it doesn't bother anyone--because nobody with half a bit of sense sleeps where they would even need to worry about constantly checking their encumbrance.

(If you've been otherwise incapacitated, whether your gear is going missing or not is a relatively trivial matter, in relation to the question of whether your head will soon be missing.)

Oh no, I'm not.  :o I've had characters wake up naked from their sleep more than once, it's not real fun. Well, maybe the second time was a little fun.

Quote from: Quittle on December 11, 2011, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on December 11, 2011, 06:59:53 PM
If you're actually sleeping in a place someone might steal your things, you're making a huge newbie mistake.  This will no longer be a problem once you figure out a) how utterly risky it is and b) what the alternatives are.  That's basically why it doesn't bother anyone--because nobody with half a bit of sense sleeps where they would even need to worry about constantly checking their encumbrance.

Oh no, I'm not.  :o I've had characters wake up naked from their sleep more than once, it's not real fun. Well, maybe the second time was a little fun.

I know I had fun...
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

I say, sleep where your character would ICCly sleep.  Never mind worries about people stealing his stuff because they are taking advantage of meta-knowledge they won't get caught.  Play the role and hope they play theirs.  Also, trust that no one is spamming their encumbrance while sleeping as that is, IMO, kinda cheesy.  If you wake up naked, you wake up naked.  If you got enough gear to worry about that, then your character probably had the wherewithall to pay to sleep somewhere else.  If someone steals your newbie boots and rags - eh - it's pathetic and possibly IC for them to do also.  If you are both IC then there is no problem and the story goes on.

I fell asleep with newbie gear and coin in a tavern sleeping room once, didn't realize what the tugging was...just a echo I thought...when I woke up without my pack, 'sid, and boots, I felt happy enough to create a scene, which eventually lead to me getting a job with that PC...

If you don't want shit stolen, don't sleep in a public place....

Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."

On the other hand, I would revel in the opportunity to play the nefarious boot collector.   LOL.

Quote from: Kol on December 13, 2011, 09:10:22 AM

I suppose that VNPCs don't get stolen from because they don't have anything worth stealing.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on December 13, 2011, 10:28:52 AM

I suppose that VNPCs don't get stolen from because they don't have anything worth stealing.
No, they just get their stuff stolen by vthieves.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 13, 2011, 10:57:34 AM

That just explains why they don't have anything worth stealing.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: valeria on December 13, 2011, 05:01:40 PM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on December 13, 2011, 10:57:34 AM

That just explains why they don't have anything worth stealing.

Or the primary source of VNPC beggars.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Also, there are NPCs that will steal -all- your shit if you sleep in front of them, so a) be careful and b) don't instantly blame other players for it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on December 13, 2011, 08:59:56 PM
Also, there are NPCs that will steal -all- your shit if you sleep in front of them, so a) be careful and b) don't instantly blame other players for it.

I'm not sure that I like what you're implying, Synthesis. The staffers love me.

i beautiful butterflap,  :'(

Quote from: Synthesis on December 13, 2011, 08:59:56 PM

Not to mention the ones who will kill you for your shit when your awake...
Quote from: BleakOne
Dammit Kol you made me laugh too.
A staff member sends:
     "Hi! Please don't kill the sparring dummy."