New, Improved Scar System

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, November 29, 2011, 04:31:36 PM

November 29, 2011, 04:31:36 PM Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:06:50 AM by The7DeadlyVenomz
If you are unfamiliar with the custom tattoo system, it goes like this: adjective/color/noun. So this system allows you to have a wavy brown flag, or a tribal red flag, or a ... you get the idea.

I'm curious as to whether Staff has considered using the custom tattoo system to do scars. We would be able to have scars that more clearly and more directly addressed our blemishes as we saw fit. We could also use it to make note of temporary injuries or other more customized blemishes.

With the required system already in game, I'd assume that using it to address scars would simply be a list of completing a new list of descriptors. With this in mind, I'll begin with a few choices for each portion of the list, and update mine to reflect any more suggestions. If Staff likes the idea, it would end up being a big help for them.

1. a, an, several, sunken, many, broken, wicked, old, healed, inflamed, missing, small, vicious, gaping, sunken, pitted, ragged, seeping, grotesque
2. old, broken, recent, sunken, left, right, severed, huge, small, missing, empty, seared, faded, fresh,  raw, myriad
3. scar, scars, stump, stumps, eye, eyes, eyesocket, boils, claw-mark, claw-marks, slash-mark, slash-marks, nose, ear, ears, fingers, toes, hand, foot, hands, feet, laceration, brand, brands, flesh

Using the system above, you can see already where you might have missing left eyesocket or huge black eye or several old slash-marks. Of course, with your contributions, this list could become much larger.

Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I would like the scar system to include hickeys and bite marks (passionate ones, not dujat ones).

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 29, 2011, 04:31:36 PM
I'm curious as to whether Staff has considered using the custom tattoo system to do scars.

Yes.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on November 29, 2011, 04:37:15 PM
I'm curious as to whether Staff has considered using the custom tattoo system to do scars.

Yes.

Is that a "kill this thread" yes, or a "please proceed with all haste" yes?

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 29, 2011, 04:39:10 PM
Quote from: Nyr on November 29, 2011, 04:37:15 PM

Yes.

Is that a "kill this thread" yes, or a "please proceed with all haste" yes?

It's a cool idea, but I'm not working on it, and no one else is, either.  Maybe someday, though.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

That's understandable.

But yes, go ahead with what you've got here, may want to toss it in player collaboration?

I like "many small eyesocket."

But, no, really, this is a cool idea.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

I'll repost this in Player Colab in a bit.

The list does allow for some odd mistakes. But the idea is that if you are buying a scar, you'll piece together the component words as you see fit, and the possible stupidities won't occur. BTW, the none descriptor at the beginning of the lists would be used to erase anything from your body location.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 29, 2011, 05:32:52 PM
I'll repost this in Player Colab in a bit.

The list does allow for some odd mistakes. But the idea is that if you are buying a scar, you'll piece together the component words as you see fit, and the possible stupidities won't occur. BTW, the none descriptor at the beginning of the lists would be used to erase anything from your body location.

I don't like that. Erasing tattoos or scars should require wishing up to staff. It already works that tattoos and scars can go over tattoos and scars, so I think that's enough.

Otherwise, this seems like a neat idea.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Quote from: Taven on November 30, 2011, 12:48:20 AM
It already works that tattoos and scars can go over tattoos and scars, so I think that's enough.

Otherwise, this seems like a neat idea.

Yo dawg, I heard you like scars/tattoos so I put some scars/tattoos on your scars/tattoos so you can... um...

1. none a several many wicked old healed inflamed missing small, vicious, gaping, sunken, pitted, ragged, seeping, grotesque
2. none old recent left right severed huge small missing empty black bruised, faded, fresh,  raw, myriad
3. none scar stump eye eyesocket boils claw-marks slash-marks nose ear, welt, laceration, brand, bruise

Taven, the none choice is for non-permanent 'scars' such as 'a black eye' or 'a broken finger'. In those cases, I think it's just fine not to have to wish up, and, I like the option to be able to mark yourself as you see fit. Perhaps you're assuming that people will use this incorrectly, but I just don't think that will happen often enough to warrant not having the option to get rid of that black eye or severe bruising.

Karieith, thanks - updated.

Non-permanent injuries can be depicted with tdesc.

Yes, that is a good point. I strike my 'none' option.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 30, 2011, 09:52:59 AM

Oh.  I thought we were going for better scars overall, not "temporary scars."

I don't think we need welts, lacerations, etc.  We're talking scars, right?  Right?

I was talking about both permanent scars and temporary scars. Moe made a good point though, and so now we're just talking about permanent scars.

Yeah, I like this idea a whole bunch.

Kind've like the custom tattoo system that they already have implemented in-game.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

<on body> a dark, hardened heart
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: roughneck on November 29, 2011, 04:35:37 PM
I would like the scar system to include hickeys and bite marks (passionate ones, not dujat ones).
^ this.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Quote from: Nyr on November 30, 2011, 10:00:02 AM
Quote from: Marauder Moe on November 30, 2011, 09:52:59 AM

Oh.  I thought we were going for better scars overall, not "temporary scars."

I don't think we need welts, lacerations, etc.  We're talking scars, right?  Right?

Maybe we've experienced different types of lacerations? I lacerated my arm and I still have the scar, I always just called it a laceration... perhaps a case of:

on my part, however.

Quote from: Samoa on November 29, 2011, 05:24:12 PM
I like "many small eyesocket."

You can already boff this up in hilarious ways with the normal scar system.

<right shoulder>     a missing left ear
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I believe the main issuie with doing this is how the code appears to be written (aka, it looks like it involves plugging in your choices of words from various arrays into a prewritten mdesc in various places. All the custom tattooes have the same mdesc with only one word per sentence changed up if I recall correctly (like: this is a tattoo of /thing/, done in /coloc/ ink and /verbish/ style). If this is the case, then you would need to have custom code written up for it, which - believe you need to be higher ranked than a storyteller to do, if you pay attention to the printed changes relating to the game on the mainpage. That said, I'm in love with the idea. Anything you can do to further personalize your characters is just another leg up from H&S games like WOW.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.