combat

Started by Iiyola, November 12, 2011, 01:26:33 AM

Hey guys,

Is it just me and my newbiness (yes, that's a new word from now on) or is combat REALLY (too) fast?

The moment a combat is initiated it's so difficult for me to see who is attacked, what's happening and what to do since three attacks could have been done within 2 seconds. I hardly am able to read and catch up about what the hell is happening.

Yeah, I'm aware I'm new, and I have had tips I could adjust my MUSH client so it leaves out the unnecessary details, but still... it's really hard.

Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Sometimes five rounds of combat will happen in two seconds, sometimes you'll stand there like an idiot and not hit back while the enemy lays into you, and sometimes both of you will just stand there and do nothing. Combat is weird.

Brief Combat has helped me filter out the misses.

Also toggling on ANSI/VT100(?) option helps me spot if I'm hitting or the enemy is hitting me. :D

I also try to highlight important things like, I'm getting disarmed, charged down, subdued, etc etc.
Veni, vinci, voici.

I'm okay on my own.

Toggling on ANSI colors helps keep track of those that are taking damage, if you or someone is taking damage their sdesc is highlighted (if you are taking damage the word "you" is highlighted).  It won't slow things down, but you can focus on important things easier, and faster.

November 12, 2011, 01:57:23 AM #4 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:59:09 AM by evilcabbage
Quote from: Iiyola on November 12, 2011, 01:26:33 AM
Hey guys,

Is it just me and my newbiness (yes, that's a new word from now on) or is combat REALLY (too) fast?

The moment a combat is initiated it's so difficult for me to see who is attacked, what's happening and what to do since three attacks could have been done within 2 seconds. I hardly am able to read and catch up about what the hell is happening.

Yeah, I'm aware I'm new, and I have had tips I could adjust my MUSH client so it leaves out the unnecessary details, but still... it's really hard.

It takes time. Believe me, I thought it was fast too, but I got used to reading the screen scroll after a while. You just need to get used to the speed. Try explaining to your friend/sergeant/whatever that you're having a hard time adjusting, and need some help. Or go to Helper chat and ask them what you can do to make it easier.

EDIT: And by hard time adjusting, Imean explain somehow that you need a slower opponent. I'm sure one can befound for you. It'll take time.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

This is why I don't play combatants.

Reading is a skill.
Twink it on the side with books.

Being able to read faster helps a lot - especially if you get your highlighting triggers set correctly.

The more you're exposed to it, the easier it'll get as well, but nothing'll help you figure out what the hell is going on during combat rpts with double-digit attacking pcs, heh...
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

November 12, 2011, 03:03:26 AM #7 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 04:23:32 AM by Iiyola
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 12, 2011, 01:57:23 AM
Quote from: Iiyola on November 12, 2011, 01:26:33 AM
Hey guys,

It takes time. Believe me, I thought it was fast too, but I got used to reading the screen scroll after a while. You just need to get used to the speed. Try explaining to your friend/sergeant/whatever that you're having a hard time adjusting, and need some help. Or go to Helper chat and ask them what you can do to make it easier.

EDIT: And by hard time adjusting, Imean explain somehow that you need a slower opponent. I'm sure one can befound for you. It'll take time.
Ehhhh sometimes it's NPC's, and there's no time to stop that >.>

If you don't have a really good prompt, I recommend you set one up, too - sometimes it's more worthwhile staring at your HP while stuff scrolls than trying to watch what's actually going on.
A dark-shelled scrab pinches at you, but you dodge out of the way.
A dark-shelled scrab brandishes its bone-handled, obsidian scimitar.
A dark-shelled scrab holds its bloodied wicked-edged, bone scimitar.

My personal prompt:

prompt %h/%Hhp %v/%Vmv %t/%Tst %a %o %e %A>\n

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 12, 2011, 03:16:53 AM
My personal prompt:

Gonna try that one. Thanks!

Quote from: Iiyola on November 12, 2011, 04:24:29 AM
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 12, 2011, 03:16:53 AM
My personal prompt:

Gonna try that one. Thanks!

HP, movement points, stun, accent, language, time, armed status. Always works for me.

Definitely going to recommend ansi color, brief combat (but only when combat is expected to have four or more participants), and just practice.

As the others have said, over time, you just learn to read the important stuff. I think prompt tips are very useful too.

I don't know if code-wise this is true but as a participant in combat and an observer of MANY a combat I always felt like it depended on the combatants skill.
It seemed that when it was evenly matched opponents it went much slower but put a super fast, super skilled longneck with a slow half giant and you'll witness
the elf going kerrrazy and the giant not going anywhere near him. I've never played outdoor girls but I remember once I played a Kuraci male who was ok at combat
and ended up d-e-d by one Mantis and it was over so fast I never knew wtf happened. Maybe I'm wrong that the code disctates how fast it happens but that's how it
always felt to me.

I personally read only what happens to my character if shit goes by too fast so I don't get too confused to FLEE!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I also recommend putting "position" in your prompt. It helps you to realize if you've been bashed. Generally, though, it just takes practice. Eventually, your eyes learn what is important and what to look for and to filter out the rest.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Mantis are naturally fast, so they swamp you.

I've never seen a Mantis before.

Help stats.

Join the Byn or another military clan. You'll soon learn to deal. And you'll learn many tricks to help you deal.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on November 12, 2011, 10:58:53 AM
Join the Byn or another military clan. You'll soon learn to deal. And you'll learn many tricks to help you deal.
^ This is good advice

Joining ANY military clan, people will be there to teach you, and help you grow, and you'll be in combat enough where screen scroll will just turn into "red head, blonde head, brown head..."

Or, in combats case, "solid, very hard, frightening..."

And "you deal" or "hit" or something. If it's the OTHER guy hitting you, you'll also learn to pick right up on it.

I have my client highlight you and your, so I can keep track easily of when I am getting hit. I also have ANSI on; my color scheme is red on black, and the ansi is BRIGHT GREEN, so it's easy for me to read who is being hit.

Combat scroll is rough, but i've been in leadership positions a few times where you have to deal with MASSIVE combat scroll (and you have to pay attention to when, say, one of your party gets disarmed and loses that message in the scroll). As Riya said earlier, reading is a skill. Reading Combat scroll in Armageddon is DEFINITELY something that takes practice. I'd say it took me five-six years before I became totally and completely comfortable playing combat characters (Not meant to intimidate, this is probably more of a comment on me being a pussy for a long time.)
"The church bell tollin', the hearse come driving slow
I hope my baby, don't leave me no more
Oh tell me baby, when are you coming back home?"

--Howlin' Wolf

Quote from: Thunkkin on November 12, 2011, 09:57:45 AM
I also recommend putting "position" in your prompt. It helps you to realize if you've been bashed. Generally, though, it just takes practice. Eventually, your eyes learn what is important and what to look for and to filter out the rest.
how do I do that?

November 12, 2011, 03:29:44 PM #21 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:35:13 PM by Morrolan
Here is my prompt:

prompt %h/%H %t/%T %v/%V  |  %A | %k | %L\n%S  |  %w  |  %O  |  %e  |  %E  |\n

I then use my client to give different colors to lines starting in:

fighting     red bold
standing    none
sitting        yellow bold
resting       light blue
sleeping     light green

The reasons for this are:
a) Your prompt will turn red when someone takes a swing at you.  This is extremely useful.
b) Your prompt will turn yellow when someone knocks you down. When you're knocked down, you can't flee.
c) In mass combat, you will notice when the target you are fighting goes down - your prompt will turn back to your normal client color. You can then "assist" or "kill".  In mass combat, I recommend the first when possible. It prevents lethal mistargets in most cases.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I just got done making the non-HP stuff on my prompt capture to a very small window on the bottom of my client, showing the following:

/ [walking and standing]
/ [encumbrance: manageable][weapons: unarmed][time: dusk]

The "standing" part is verbose, so when I sit at a table, it lists it, same as with riding a mount or fighting.  Diggin' it.  Thanks for the inspiration, heheh.

Quote from: Morrolan on November 12, 2011, 03:29:44 PM
Here is my prompt:

prompt %h/%H %t/%T %v/%V  |  %A | %k | %L\n%S  |  %w  |  %O  |  %e  |  %E  |\n

I then use my client to give different colors to lines starting in:

fighting     red bold
standing    none
sitting        yellow bold
resting       light blue
sleeping     light green

The reasons for this are:
a) Your prompt will turn red when someone takes a swing at you.  This is extremely useful.
b) Your prompt will turn yellow when someone knocks you down. When you're knocked down, you can't flee.
c) In mass combat, you will notice when the target you are fighting goes down - your prompt will turn back to your normal client color. You can then "assist" or "kill".  In mass combat, I recommend the first when possible. It prevents lethal mistargets in most cases.

using that prompt now. What client do you use? I have the MUSH client and I've been looking around where to change color of the lines you're talking about, but without much success.

I'm using KildClient on Ubuntu.  So, um, probably not all that helpful an option.

Does anyone else out there have any suggestions for a client that could do something like that?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."